To those of you with questions, this is, to my knowledge, our developers plan for Freebuild:

*Develop the engine to the point where everything is working and stable, using TBM2 as a base at this stage to ensure old content is still compatible.

*DELETE F*CKING EVERYTHING.

*Apply a fresh base, which can be crafted to fit our exact needs, creating a framework onto which any older content we want can be added in an organized manner.
Precisely. I wonder if the main developers would have any interest in roadmapping some vague deadlines for themselves? I find that doing that is very helpful in forcing me to get things done on my projects by a certain time rather than continually putting them off (like with Doors CS, after 4 years of ignoring it).
Quote:
I wonder if the main developers

like you?
Lucas W wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if the main developers

like you?
No, I'm not a main developer, I'm just an enthusiast who contributes. Razz
Then we have an "Enthusiast" and Elf......
Lucas W wrote:
Then we have an "Enthusiast" and Elf......
No, you're forgetting CyberPrime, the other main developer on the project.
oh, right, yes. Sorry.
DShiznit wrote:
To those of you with questions, this is, to my knowledge, our developers plan for Freebuild:

*Develop the engine to the point where everything is working and stable, using TBM2 as a base at this stage to ensure old content is still compatible.

*DELETE F*CKING EVERYTHING.

*Apply a fresh base, which can be crafted to fit our exact needs, creating a framework onto which any older content we want can be added in an organized manner.

Thank you for your clarity of thought.

Lucas/Kerm: I'll see what I can do for roadmapping. I'm still learning the OpenGL magic I'll need for what I'm planning to do, but we'll see how it develops.
Ooooh, OpenGL magic? Is this related to the whole LCAD stuff, or something different?
KermMartian wrote:
Ooooh, OpenGL magic? Is this related to the whole LCAD stuff, or something different?

Yes, and rendering things efficiently in general. So much crappy rendering code in the legacy torque engine. It wasn't designed for OpenGL 1.5.
Are you gonna force OpenGL 1.5 as a requirement? I have one or two computers with older Intel chipsets that might not support 1.5...
OpenGL 1.5 is 7 years old at this point, and I'll need it for the graphics optimizations I'm implementing. I could probably implement fallback code for those of you on REALLY old computers, but I doubt you'll see as much of the performance gains that have been planned for 1.5
elfprince13 wrote:
OpenGL 1.5 is 7 years old at this point, and I'll need it for the graphics optimizations I'm implementing. I could probably implement fallback code for those of you on REALLY old computers, but I doubt you'll see as much of the performance gains that have been planned for 1.5
Yeah, I don't really see any point in spending your time supporting seven-year-old hardware at this point. Some backwards-compatibility is very good, but that's pushing it a bit.
It shouldn't even require a GOOD computer from 7 years ago, just one that supports the standards of the time.
What about DirectX 9/10/11 on Windows systems?
I don't see a need in supporting DirectX if we're working with OpenGL, personally.
Which ones faster on Windows?

Also, Why is the cursor selector removed?
Lucas W wrote:

He answered that question in another thread (although a quick Googling failed to uncover which thread). I believe the plan is to leave it out for now and re-add it only if people really really want it later. I agree with Swivelgames that there's really no point supporting DirectX if we have some nice speedy OpenGL 1.5 support going...
Lucas W wrote:

That depends on the competency of the coder in utilizing each respective set of API behavior. That being said, I have NO intentions to implement DirectX, and unless we get a dedicated graphics guru, the chances are no one ever will.

Lucas W wrote:

I'm tired of answering this for the xteenth time. It was pointless, and FreeBuild is intended as a base for modification. If someone wants custom cursors, it's trivial to reimplement them into the options dialog.
I was talking about a computer from like 2002, but I think the latest update for intel chipsets actually added 1.5 support, so that might not even matter. I was just curious. My netbook will support it regardless, no need to add in additional legacy support for me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours