dark9771 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
u mean you've tried to code using the Unreal engine, or you've tried playing Unreal Tournament?

Ive tried making maps, importing models, and started coding

for models it took me 7 days to find a converter to the unreal format, and it meased up the textures, and the colision detection for the models didnt work, it crashed every 5 min, and the lighting isnt in realtime Sad
Ah, that sounds frustrating. For what it's worth, many of Torque's lights are not realtime either, and the ones that are can cause a pretty significant performance hit.
Also w.r.t. Unreal, last I heard, it costs more than a house if you want to develop a game with it.
elfprince13 wrote:
Also, last I heard, it costs more than a house if you want to develop a game with it.
Whoa, seriously? That's insane.
Depends on the size and location of the house, but yeah. At least one source estimates the cost for source access at $700,000. Other places I've looked at have said somewhere in the 7 figures.
UDK is free, but engine access costs a sh#tload apparently...
elfprince13 wrote:
Depends on the size and location of the house, but yeah. At least one source estimates the cost for source access at $700,000. Other places I've looked at have said somewhere in the 7 figures.
Whoa, regardless of what your purpose is, even if it's a nonprofit freeware game? That's pretty crazy. I bet there would be massive quantities of NDAs to be signed, as well.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Whoa, regardless of what your purpose is, even if it's a nonprofit freeware game? That's pretty crazy. I bet there would be massive quantities of NDAs to be signed, as well.

They have various licenses for educational use and for internal v.s. distributable scenarios for commercial enterprises, but those don't include source access. Also, their licensing page more or less says they won't negotiate a license with you unless you represent a registered corporation, and that if you aren't a major game studio they want to see your business plan before they'll license to you.
elfprince13 wrote:
They have various licenses for educational use and for internal v.s. distributable scenarios for commercial enterprises, but those don't include source access. Also, their licensing page more or less says they won't negotiate a license with you unless you represent a registered corporation, and that if you aren't a major game studio they want to see your business plan before they'll license to you.
Sidebar: Internet, also srs bzns.
swivelgames wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours