Lucas W wrote:
Will the track be "magnetic" eg. Will the trains be able to drive up the walls and on the roof? (If the tracks can be placed there?)

I smell roller coasters...
DShiznit wrote:
Lucas W wrote:
Will the track be "magnetic" eg. Will the trains be able to drive up the walls and on the roof? (If the tracks can be placed there?)

I smell roller coasters...
Actually, you could do coasters even without magnetic tracks, but you'd be forced to be sufficiently careful with your design to make the vehicles achieve enough speed to not fall out of the underside of loops.
Well, if you were doing roller coasters you would hope there would be wheels on both sides of the track to prevent the cart from falling!
CyberPrime wrote:
Well, if you were doing roller coasters you would hope there would be wheels on both sides of the track to prevent the cart from falling!
True, but if we're pressing trains into duty as roller coasters, there's no guarantees there. Very Happy I don't know of any LEGO roller coaster set offhand...
KermMartian wrote:
CyberPrime wrote:
True, but if we're pressing trains into duty as roller coasters, there's no guarantees there. Very Happy I don't know of any LEGO roller coaster set offhand...

People don't play to build LEGO sets, they play to build whatever.
It seems like it would be a tiny jump from a train system that already works with Torque's arbitrary coordinate and rotation system...
DShiznit wrote:
It seems like it would be a tiny jump from a train system that already works with Torque's arbitrary coordinate and rotation system...
For sure, and I'm almost positive we'll get a chance to mess with that idea once the railroad basics are in place. Smile
Doesn't LDraw have higher priority?
Lucas W wrote:
Doesn't LDraw have higher priority?
Of course, but LDraw is mostly elfprince13's project, while trains are my area of interest. Smile
If only I had experience in everything you guys are talking about Sad

But I would REALLY love you guys to complete this idea! I have been off and on with trying to make a small model train layout but stop shortly after starting when I realize how much everything costs for it...
fiveforce wrote:
If only I had experience in everything you guys are talking about Sad

But I would REALLY love you guys to complete this idea! I have been off and on with trying to make a small model train layout but stop shortly after starting when I realize how much everything costs for it...
Yeah, model trains have gotten far too expensive. Sad I am equally excited to get this project underway, and if you'd be interested in beta-testing once that point is reached, I'm sure we would be much obliged. Smile
fiveforce wrote:

Lionel, or Lego, or something else?
elfprince13 wrote:
fiveforce wrote:

Lionel, or Lego, or something else?
I assume normal HO- or N-scale modeling. Smile I'm partial to N-scale myself; NYC apartment size and all that.
I have an HO scale set which has had a bit of help from my parents buying ceramic buildings from various stores. I also managed to find an unused strip of white christmas lights awhile back to light those buildings. It's not much at the moment though. As for the company who made the set I have is "Life-Like".

As for beta testing I would love to Very Happy I just have to hope I will be able to be on my computer when that time comes if I am needed.
after I a quick brush-up on my model train terminology I should report that I have only O scale, and 9V Lego trains.
elfprince13 wrote:
after I a quick brush-up on my model train terminology I should report that I have only O scale, and 9V Lego trains.
Tsk tsk, I'm disappointed in you. I have N-scale, HO-scale, Lego 9V trains, the Lego monorail, Duplo trains, Brio trains, and Remco trains.
Actually, I have plenty of Duplo and Brio too. Also, some wind-up racecar track. But I was mostly thinking of motorized train layouts. I really like the heft of O scale. The HO and N scale trains I have encountered always seem puny in comparison.
elfprince13 wrote:
Actually, I have plenty of Duplo and Brio too. Also, some wind-up racecar track. But I was mostly thinking of motorized train layouts. I really like the heft of O scale. The HO and N scale trains I have encountered always seem puny in comparison.
Ah, fair enough. Contrastingly, I always see O and even HO trains as too large and ungainly. Smile
I like O-scale but find the space required is too much. N-scale is entertaining but the hobby shop in my town rarely has anything for either of them... HO-scale is abundant in that shop though. I was able to even find the vehicles my parents drive, a fork lift, and a small playground in HO scale.
fiveforce wrote:
I like O-scale but find the space required is too much. N-scale is entertaining but the hobby shop in my town rarely has anything for either of them... HO-scale is abundant in that shop though. I was able to even find the vehicles my parents drive, a fork lift, and a small playground in HO scale.
That sounds cool; you should really show us some pictures of your layout in the Candid Photos topic one day! So while we're on the subject, do you have any suggestions? Any particular train-related mechanics that you'd like to see?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours