D: a poisonous toad cannot change its spots. Sucks to hear about your first calculator Kerm Sad I know I would trash my parents place if they threw out my first... anything
qazz42 wrote:
D: a poisonous toad cannot change its spots. Sucks to hear about your first calculator Kerm Sad I know I would trash my parents place if they threw out my first... anything
I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I might not be. Sad Thanks Qazz.
Call me childish, but if my first Yu-gi-oh and or pokemon card was thrown out....

death...
qazz42 wrote:
Call me childish, but if my first Yu-gi-oh and or pokemon card was thrown out....

death...
Well, some things, like family, are more important even than calculators, as weird as thing to say that that might seem to you. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Another batch of savvily eBay'd calcs arrived! The TI-83+ at far left was $8 with shipping, and has some graphics glitches. The TI-83+ at near left seems perfectly functional, and was $12.42 with shipping. The TI-82 at near right is fully-functional, and together with the fully-functional TI-85 at far right was $0.99 with $12 shipping.

Here's a gratuitous shot of a bit less than half of my calculator collection, the ones that I have with me; the remaining 12-15 or so (I forget the exact breakdown, although I know there's at least an 89, an 86, a 73, and 83, and at least 8 TI-83+s) are at my parents' house.

From top to bottom, that's a raw 83+ mobo and LCD, Ultimate Calc 2 (a modded TI-83+), four TI-83+s, TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-84+. I'll have to share my full collection once the other half turns up. Smile

Mmm...I spy a TI-85! Those are good calculators.
Yup yup, I like it. I actually need to post an updated picture of my collection; I got a new 83+SE today. I think I still have two SEs pending being repaired, if you include this one.
One of my friends has an 83+ SE with a Viewscreen port. Only problem is the link port's busted. I'm going to solder it back in for him soon (I've repaired link ports and they're a very easy solder job once the calculator's opened up).
Calculator wrote:
One of my friends has an 83+ SE with a Viewscreen port. Only problem is the link port's busted. I'm going to solder it back in for him soon (I've repaired link ports and they're a very easy solder job once the calculator's opened up).
Yeah, that was actually my very first hack job on a calculator, re-soldering the link port on my very first, trusty TI-83 (not plus) calculator. Smile I trust you have the necessary Torx-6 screwdriver?
I have a couple of alan wrenches that fit the torx-6 socket. I'm not sure of the size though. It's pretty small, maybe 1/16" or something.
Calculator wrote:
I have a couple of alan wrenches that fit the torx-6 socket. I'm not sure of the size though. It's pretty small, maybe 1/16" or something.
Excellent, glad to hear that you have the proper tools on hand; best of luck with the fix!
Thanks!
Updates on the TI-83+SE that arrived yesterday: unusually, it doesn't seem to be the usual ribbon cable failure, nor does it appear to be water damage. TI-Connect can't detect the calculator over a SilverLink. The investigation continues.
Necro-bump. Two new calculators arrived today: a TI-83+SE ($10.68 with shipping) and a TI-83+ ($13.00 with shipping). Both devices are in good cosmetic condition, although the TI-83+ is missing its slidecase. The TI-83+ is one of the earliest revision A devices (probably has a discrete z80). The LCD powers on and off, but nothing is visible. TI DeviceExplorer finds it. The TI-83+SE does not appear to power on, and is not visible to TI DeviceExplorer. Let the repairs commence!

Edit: Attempted hot-air remelting of the ribbon cable on the TI-83+, which helped some of the traces. I ended up replacing 8 of them; fully functional 1.12 TI-83+ once again. And as I suspected, it has discrete RAM and a z80.
*bump*

Managed to fix the TI-83+SE through something I did very much not suspect. Sadly, it wasn't the same thing that is wrong with my other three nonfunctional TI-83+SEs, which remain unfixed.

This afternoon, I got a broken TI-82 that I purchased for about $3 with shipping. It does not power on; disassembly reveals both acid damage on the battery side of the board, and liquid-triggered deterioration on the key side. I'm trying to find any discontinuities and repair them. If I fail, I plan to try to connects its functioning LCD to an LCD-less TI-83+ mainboard that I have and make the world's first TI-83+ with a TI-82 LCD in a TI-82 case.
What was wrong with the 83+SE you did fix?
elfprince13 wrote:
What was wrong with the 83+SE you did fix?
One of the components had failed in a very predictable way; it was so obvious that it's not something I would have thought of had I not poked around with a multimeter. I don't want to be super-specific so I don't jeopardize the prices of the broken TI-83+SEs that I pick up on eBay. Wink
Ah Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
Ah Smile
Indeed. Anyway, this TI-82 is turning out to be stubborn. I found that part of the damage divided the ground plane, such that half of the ground plane was 0.6V higher than the other half. A quick 30-gauge wire bridge fixed that, and another temporary bridge fixed the broken trace linking the ON button to the ASIC. However, it still just flashes lines on the LCD when I put in the batteries and when I press ON; no screen activity or link activity yet. I still really like my TI-83+-with-a-TI-82-LCD plan, although I'll need to reconfigure the bottom of the too-long TI-83+ PCB.
*bump* Haven't finished working on that TI-82 yet; I'll examine it again later. On a more exciting note, I got a batch of ten TI-82s, one TI-83, and four TI-83+s yesterday, most of which I'll probably be fixing up and offering out, as my collection doesn't need that many TI-82s. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours