After realizing how easy ASM can be once the language is learned, I understood that the reason many people don't program in ASM is because they have a hard time learning it. Most tutorials use a difficult method to teach the language, a method few people can understand.

So, I started a new set of tutorials. I have had nothing but positive reviews so far, including praise from people who have attempted "Learn ASM in 28 Days" and failed.
Neat! I've checked out a few of your tutorials before, and I thought you had some good concepts. I could certainly see that you were making a good effort to make the tutorials accessible, in that you used non-technical examples to make your points. I was somewhat concerned at the strong focus on game-oriented programming, and from the sections I read, there seemed to be a dismissal of complex bit manipulation and other vital ASM concepts as too difficult and irrelevant anyway. Should I have read on and found my concerns addressed? Cheers for making another tutorial; it's been a long time since someone has done so. Smile
Actually, I just finished the one on bit manipulation Cool
Hot_Dog wrote:
Actually, I just finished the one on bit manipulation Cool
Ah, good stuff, I'll have to check that out. You went into masking, shifting, rotating, bitwise operations, all that fun stuff? Smile What are your eventual plans for the tutorials, how far would you like to take them?
Well, for the lessons, I plan to go only as far as it takes to complete a game, in order to make them as straight-through and easy-to-understand as possible. So I won't be covering stuff such as the VAT, custom programs, SMC, division with remainders, etc. However, I will be providing appendixes that will provide some additional information, such as ports, interrupts, flash apps and complex math with registers.
Hot_Dog wrote:
Well, for the lessons, I plan to go only as far as it takes to complete a game, in order to make them as straight-through and easy-to-understand as possible. So I won't be covering stuff such as the VAT, custom programs, SMC, division with remainders, etc.
Nothing about SMC? O_O But games are the ones that need SMC the most for speed and size! And no VAT stuff for levels?
Hot_Dog wrote:
However, I will be providing appendixes that will provide some additional information, such as ports, interrupts, flash apps and complex math with registers.
That's good. I guess it makes sense that you're focusing on the most popular extracurricular use of calculators, ie, gaming, but I hope you'll one day reconsider going into the more complex topics. Let me/us know if you want to ask any guest-lecturers to add their expertise. Smile
Lesson 4 Page 2... t83plus.inc Link is invalid.
Svakk wrote:
Lesson 4 Page 2... t83plus.inc Link is invalid.

Yeah, I forgot to mention there's typos in the tutorials. Please go here for the right one:

http://ourl.ca/4716
Another point of order - did you notice that the calculator in your signature image is a TI-83, not a TI-83+? Laughing
Oh, also. I can't seem to find a way to download the ROM, I've clicked the link, selected the ROM, but I can't download it.
Svakk wrote:
Oh, also. I can't seem to find a way to download the ROM, I've clicked the link, selected the ROM, but I can't download it.
Err, there's a link to a ROM in the tutorial? If so, I would very strongly recommend you remove it, as that's a violation of TI's intellectual property rights. They've come down hard on ROM sharers in the past.
KermMartian wrote:
Svakk wrote:
Err, there's a link to a ROM in the tutorial? If so, I would very strongly recommend you remove it, as that's a violation of TI's intellectual property rights. They've come down hard on ROM sharers in the past.

But it's not illegal to download a .clc, right? And isn't that just a ROM in disguise? Still, I should instead just tell people how to use a .clc as a ROM
Sorry, but that still doesn't help me download it.... :\
Svakk, I've seen many tutorials recommend just Googling for ROMs, although such advice would definitely not be too legal. Razz
Svakk wrote:

I reuploaded lesson 4 telling you that getting Ti-83+ flash debugger is free. It tells you also how to turn one of the files into a ROM by changing the filename.
Please make it good for noobs like me, I saw the code for a hello world program, and understand it only a little
qazz42 wrote:
Please make it good for noobs like me, I saw the code for a hello world program, and understand it only a little

Well, go to the site and give it a shot! I've heard nothing but positive results from--no offense--"noobs." But you've just got to read it from the beginning, even if you already understand binary numbers
Thanks, I cannot until next week though, I am in California and my Aunt does not want me to dwnload stuff
qazz42 wrote:
Thanks, I cannot until next week though, I am in California and my Aunt does not want me to dwnload stuff

Gotcha, and don't forget we are here to answer any questions you have Cool
Hot_Dog wrote:
Svakk wrote:

I reuploaded lesson 4 telling you that getting Ti-83+ flash debugger is free. It tells you also how to turn one of the files into a ROM by changing the filename.
Excellent, glad to hear it. Smile I think I read up to the 6th one or so, I'll have to continue from there.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours