I've recently become bored with watching you guys come up with random external calculator items (no offense at all), so I've decided to start my own.

I'm hoping to do something like this:

that will allow the user to plug regular USB, Mini USB, Regular Headphones, Mini Headphones, and have built in speakers. If anybody has any suggestions on anything else to add, feel free to add.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a metallic case, does anybody know of any good, cheap, and manipulatable (Idk if that is a word but) metals that I can use?

Thanks!
As far as I know, aluminum is one of the easiest metals to machine, but you'll still need a CNC to cut it. Smile I came up with something like this long ago (the TICI hub concept), although I never got around to building one that fit directly onto the calculator like that. I'd love to see you implement that!

PS - Nice MSPainting skills, impressive shading.
KermMartian wrote:
As far as I know, aluminum is one of the easiest metals to machine, but you'll still need a CNC to cut it. Smile I came up with something like this long ago (the TICI hub concept), although I never got around to building one that fit directly onto the calculator like that. I'd love to see you implement that!

Yeah, the problem with my drawing is that the bottom is flat while the top of a ti84+ is rounded. I've taken the measurements, but it is going to be a major PITA to be able to round it perfectly. I've also measured it directly down to the bottom of both ports, and I am hoping to make it so that it will mold perfectly.

Along with that I am going to be implementing some MAJOR Usb8x in order to make the data transfer work.... With the two usb jacks, maybe I can make it work with both the mouse and the keyboard.
If i ever figure out how to use Usb8x.... Razz.

KermMartian wrote:
PS - Nice MSPainting skills, impressive shading.

Hahah thanks, I spent about an hour drawing it just to get a realistic feel. I forgot to add another headphone, but oh well Smile.
Don't forget that you also need to add a DPDT switch to switch between the speakers and the 2.5/3.5mm jacks on the serial port, otherwise your amp might be pulling down the lines all the time. You intended this to have a built-in amp, correct?
KermMartian wrote:
Don't forget that you also need to add a DPDT switch to switch between the speakers and the 2.5/3.5mm jacks on the serial port, otherwise your amp might be pulling down the lines all the time. You intended this to have a built-in amp, correct?

Yeah. I will definetely need the switch, forgot to mention that 0x5. Alsoo, I've got a few dinky little amps laying around my room that I use for guitar, plus some old old old old olddd speakers, so I'm going to salvage those for parts and then go to radio shack. I'm guessing at most I'll probably have to spend close to about $20-25 dollars, so I'm not too worried about it.
For the speakers, I definitely recommend piezo elements, and you'll want a tiny tiny amplifier, like those from the cheapest of sets of powered computer speakers (ideally as super-low-power as possible).
Alright, sounds good. I definetely have some old computer speakers in my basement from some of my old computers. Ill look into the piezo elements and, based on your recommendation, probably just use those. I doubt it is going ot be that expensive.
Svakk wrote:
Alright, sounds good. I definetely have some old computer speakers in my basement from some of my old computers. Ill look into the piezo elements and, based on your recommendation, probably just use those. I doubt it is going ot be that expensive.
Looking at RadioShack's website, I only see piezo elements with very limited frequency ranges, so perhaps something like this would be a better choice:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062406
KermMartian wrote:
Looking at RadioShack's website, I only see piezo elements with very limited frequency ranges, so perhaps something like this would be a better choice:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062406

Wow! Thanks! That looks like it would be really easy to use. Two of those wouldn't be too expensive either!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours