So one of my friends from work called and tasked my with finding them a cheap laptop for college for $400 or under. I have found a few and I was wondering your opinions on them or if you could find any better ones.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compaq-G62-219WM/14224748
Looks ok, not for me, but It fits the price and should have enough RAM and HDD for them to use since they wont be using it for much.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Laptop+/+AMD+V-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+2GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9980182.p?id=1218207308692&skuId=9980182

Ok minus the 2gb RAM, but again They shouldn't be doing anything too intensive and need more.

I Still like the 1st one the best right now, but again ideas and comments are welcome.
AWWW!
ITS AMERICAN!?

-.-
i am actually looking to buy a cheap laptop now...
but i live in Canada.... >=(
Personally, I would recommend going with something similar to this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Silver-15.6-Satellite-L455D-S5976-Laptop-PC-with-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Carrying-Case/13341716?findingMethod=rr
Svakk wrote:

That laptop, with the stuff I'd want (Wireless mouse, flash drive), is $405.00. rcfreak0, tell your friend to get it. Very Happy
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Svakk wrote:

That laptop, with the stuff I'd want (Wireless mouse, flash drive), is $405.00. rcfreak0, tell your friend to get it. Very Happy

Haha alright ill recommend that one to her, Ill hold off to see if any other idea pop-up but I quite like that one so far Thanks Svakk
Don't buy anything from Wal-Mart. The actual price may be low, but the social cost is quite large.
rcfreak0, you're from America, amirite? Have you browsed Newegg?
allynfolksjr wrote:
Don't buy anything from Wal-Mart. The actual price may be low, but the social cost is quite large.

That is so profound. They should put that on a T-Shirt and sell it for $4.95 at Wal-Mart...
rcfreak0 wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Svakk wrote:

Haha alright ill recommend that one to her, Ill hold off to see if any other idea pop-up but I quite like that one so far Thanks Svakk

Anytime.

allynfolksjr wrote:

I agree, but when it comes down to buying it there or at bestbuy and I can save $20 at walmart, I'll take the 20 bucks.
I AGREE. BUT I'LL DO IT ANYWAY. HURRRDURRR
swivelgames wrote:
Picaboo...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115790

Also... There's a plethora of netbooks that'll go for well under $400, depending on the application.
Chrystina just grabbed this one for $450 on sale last week. It's pretty excellent imho if you don't mind an AMD rpocessors, including a nice size and weight and even discrete graphics:

Massive BestBuy.com URL
KermMartian wrote:
Chrystina just grabbed this one for $450 on sale last week. It's pretty excellent imho if you don't mind an AMD rpocessors, including a nice size and weight and even discrete graphics:

Massive BestBuy.com URL

It says the price is 549.99 Confused
swivelgames wrote:
Also... There's a plethora of netbooks that'll go for well under $400, depending on the application.
Hm, not a bad price. I'm considering picking one up as a lightweight travel & business laptop. I'm positive it'd run OnOne's DSLR Remote Server just fine and that's all I'd likely have on it aside from OpenOffice. Hm, $279.99 is an attractive price.
but all those laptops have either shitty graphics chip sets or none at all...
but they aren't that bad... and cheap too

i am actually looking for a new laptop at the moment, but all the stuff you guys are posting are for US walmart and stuff...
WhiteValkery wrote:
but all those laptops have either a graphics chip sets or none at all...

i am actually looking for a new laptop at the moment, but all the stuff you guys are posting are for US walmart and stuff...
The one I posted had a discrete graphics element and would therefore be not the worst for gaming... Smile
KermMartian wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:
but all those laptops have either a graphics chip sets or none at all...

The one I posted had a discrete graphics element and would therefore be not the worst for gaming... Smile

yeah... but unfortunately my budget is quite low...
only about $400 at max... T.T

i am wanting too much lol
swivelgames wrote:
swivelgames wrote:
Picaboo...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115790

Nice find Swivel lol. I dont think she wants a netbook, but that notebook is pretty nice for the price.

Quote:

Massive BestBuy.com URL

Great minus the fact the price shows $549 not $400 Sad

Ill tell her what I've found and see if she wants to order from newegg or not. Otherwise it might be the one from Walmart :/
rcfreak0, yeah, the sale ended on Saturday night, sorry. Sad Newegg usually has some sweet deals on good PCs, though, so keep your eye on them.
Indeed. I get Newegg emails, so I'll post up if I see any great deals passing through Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours