Hey! I am making my own version of the ultimate calculator. I am doing this with an 82. I would like help porting the ps/2 driver made by admin. I so far have a trackpad, a SUPER BRIGHT backlight, over clocked, a digital camera, and a head phone jack. I plan to install an MP3 player into the case as well. I don't know how to post pictures on this site either. Would appreciate all help and ideas on what I can do. Not much space left in the calc at this point though.... Any help on adding flash memory would be SOOO helpful, as the 82 has NONE. Thanks in advance.
to post pictures, upload the pics to imageshack.com and post the share link on the left here at cemetech. This sounds really cool, how did you get the camera in there? Is the camera connected to the calc?
adept wrote:
Hey! I am making my own version of the ultimate calculator. I am doing this with an 82. I would like help porting the ps/2 driver made by admin.
Welcome to Cemetech. Smile My alias is Kerm Martian, by the way, not admin. Wink
adept wrote:
I so far have a trackpad, a SUPER BRIGHT backlight, over clocked, a digital camera, and a head phone jack. I plan to install an MP3 player into the case as well. I don't know how to post pictures on this site either. Would appreciate all help and ideas on what I can do. Not much space left in the calc at this point though.... Any help on adding flash memory would be SOOO helpful, as the 82 has NONE. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, it's not realistic to add flash memory (or indeed any extra memory, including RAM) to the 82 and 83 calculators. Neither would have a way to address the new memory from the OS without significant modifications to the OS, and neither has an upgradeable OS (of course, due to lack of flash), so you're pretty much SOL on that count. As far as I recall, the 82 has at least as much free space inside the case as the 83+, so you're OK there. Porting the PS/2 drivers to the 82 should be a relatively trivial issue; I'll be happy to help. Can't wait to see pictures!
Thanks for the replies. Sorry that I am always up late when I post. Anyway, the digital camera is in a way connected to the calc. It uses a USB connector though Sad. This means that I must find alternate methods of connection. I added a USB that doesn't interface with the calc. Maybe you guys could give a way that I could push the button using a solid state interface. That would be great Smile.
Concerning the MP3 player... It is just stowed inside the calc. No interface. The calc has NO memory to speak of, and no way am I going to program sound files every song I want, nor a way to convert sounds to a calc format. BUT this is WAY cool because I can listen to music on the calculator without an external MP3. I am getting money right now to get a player. There should be enough space for the one I am looking at.
To fit the camera and trackpad both, I had to modify the case. I think the modification is kind of ugly. However, it added a lot of space to the inside. I used gorilla super glue, the type that fills gaps. This was invaluable because gaps were made during the cutting. But... it bubbled out the front a little, and all over my work space. A razor cleaned up most of it.
Here are some pics:

I don't think I will paint this. I am not good at painting and I don't have paint. Plus, I really don't think that paint adds much to make the calculator cool. I mean, what else do you need? PS/2, backlight, camera, overclock, and more... this is plenty...
wow, this looks really nice Smile So basically, the camera is just there its not electronically connected to the calc?

imo, paint makes it look awesome, but your calc has a sort of camo'y color so its fine Very Happy

Maybe you could add an extra port that uses a 3.5 millimeter female port, and have it electronically connected to the calc and the MP3 player...except keep the mp3 player seperate from a calc (a diode is making sense in my sleep deprived brain) That way you could just use a normal port from the calc to listen to music, and still be able to connect to other calcs with the 2.5 millimeter port

I'm sorry if I missed it, but where is the camera, the 2nd and 3rd pics are kinda dark :/

Good job so far, and good luck with the rest of the project Smile
adept wrote:
I so far have a trackpad, a SUPER BRIGHT backlight, over clocked, a digital camera, and a head phone jack.
I am interested in that camera. I would bet it doesn't save the photo to the calc?
Nicely done, Adept! I'm glad I was able to inspire someone with the trackpad idea. Smile What spurred your choice of at 82, by the way? Was that the spare that you had around to avoid breaking your primary calculator accidentally, or is that indeed your primary calc?
Quote:
KermMartian
Posted: 05 Jul 2010 09:00:19 am Post subject:
Nicely done, Adept! I'm glad I was able to inspire someone with the trackpad idea. What spurred your choice of at 82, by the way? Was that the spare that you had around to avoid breaking your primary calculator accidentally, or is that indeed your primary calc?

The calculus teacher at my school was giving boxes of calculators away. I took a box of 82's. My other calculators are all nice. (an 86 and 84 plus SE) When i started, I decided on the 82 because I have plenty to mess up on.
Quote:
_player1537
Posted: 05 Jul 2010 12:31:23 am Post subject:
wow, this looks really nice So basically, the camera is just there its not electronically connected to the calc?

imo, paint makes it look awesome, but your calc has a sort of camo'y color so its fine

Maybe you could add an extra port that uses a 3.5 millimeter female port, and have it electronically connected to the calc and the MP3 player...except keep the mp3 player seperate from a calc (a diode is making sense in my sleep deprived brain) That way you could just use a normal port from the calc to listen to music, and still be able to connect to other calcs with the 2.5 millimeter port

I'm sorry if I missed it, but where is the camera, the 2nd and 3rd pics are kinda dark :/

Good job so far, and good luck with the rest of the project

I already have glued in a 3.5 mm jack to plug headphones into. I figure that the adapter is annoying to carry around, and why not just put one in? So the camera is in the back. The butttons are below the lens. The camera is high enough, I don't cover it with my hands when I push the trigger button. About 1 hands height from the bottom.
BTW Kerm, I would appreciate help with the driver. I know the basics of assembly and have your inc file, but I don't have source for the driver and know NOTHING about 82 assembly programming, only 83 and 84. Of course, it is at your pace. I haven't quite finished with the hardware yet, so software is still in the future. I should be done with hardware this weekend. Must work this week....
adept wrote:
The calculus teacher at my school was giving boxes of calculators away. I took a box of 82's.
Jealous jealous jealous. Razz
adept wrote:
My other calculators are all nice. (an 86 and 84 plus SE) When i started, I decided on the 82 because I have plenty to mess up on.
Nice, that's what I figured.

adept wrote:
BTW Kerm, I would appreciate help with the driver. I know the basics of assembly and have your inc file, but I don't have source for the driver and know NOTHING about 82 assembly programming, only 83 and 84. Of course, it is at your pace. I haven't quite finished with the hardware yet, so software is still in the future. I should be done with hardware this weekend. Must work this week....
Let me know. It will be a very minor set of changes from the TI-83/+ drivers, mostly just in terms of exchanging bcalls for calls.
I have started a Ultimate Calculator 3 home page on my website. You can check it out here:
http://www.librocritosis.com/nerdnirvana/projects/ultcalc3.html
Feel free to explore the rest of the site too. Smile I will still post here, but in less detail than on the project page.
adept wrote:
I have started a Ultimate Calculator 3 home page on my website. You can check it out here:
Feel free to explore the rest of the site too. Smile I will still post here, but in less detail than on the project page.
I like it, nice pictures. Smile How well does that backlight work in action?
Quote:
KermMartian
Posted: 05 Jul 2010 05:06:44 pm Post subject:
adept wrote:
Feel free to explore the rest of the site too. I will still post here, but in less detail than on the project page.
I like it, nice pictures. How well does that backlight work in action?

I don't know yet. I haven't turned it on recently. I just hooked the power up to the backlight and took the picture in the dark. It looked pretty nice. I think it will do fine.
Glad to hear it. Did you use the hydrogen peroxide trick to remove the LCD backing to put plexiglass in there (a tedious process that caused me to break at least one LCD) or did you simply aim your LEDs at the side of the screen?

BTW, click the quote ( " ) marks on someone's post to quote them, it's much easier than copying and pasting their post. Smile
I made a mirror from some foil and cardstock. I glued the foil onto the cardstock, and stuck it between the screen and the case, thus reflecting some light back into the calculator screen area.
Thanks for the tips on using you site!
adept wrote:
I made a mirror from some foil and cardstock. I glued the foil onto the cardstock, and stuck it between the screen and the case, thus reflecting some light back into the calculator screen area.
Thanks for the tips on using you site!
Did you peel off the silvered backing on the LCD first, or am I misremembering, and does the TI-82 not have that?
Been working a little on the calculator this week. There was no silver backing to the screen that I could see. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. But the back light should be just fine. I got the MP3 player and disassembled it, and prepared it for inserting it into the calculator. Sorry there are no pics Sad . Will try to get some on my page. (PS I got the forum working on my site...) I can't work on it and finish it tomorrow, but will work on it Monday. So thats what is happening with the Ultimate Calculator!!
Nifty! Just so you know, I've been calling my third Ultimate Calculator project the Ultimate Calculator 3, so perhaps we could come up with a cool (but different) name for your project? Smile
Oh yes, I'm sure the people on this site whould have more than enough fun with the job of coming up with a new name.
Svakk wrote:
Oh yes, I'm sure the people on this site whould have more than enough fun with the job of coming up with a new name.
If you wanted to stick with the Ultimate Calculator nomenclature, how about something greek-suffixed? Ultimate Calculator Phi or Omega or Xsi or Psi or Gamma or Eta or something? A name suffix based on its particular features, like Ultimate Calculator 82 or Ultimate Calculator Touch?
Or Calc82 Pimped

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours