Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
The Tari wrote:
I've been perfectly content to sit and watch this, but you evidently don't care about anything the people here have to say, so now I'm going to play Logic Police.
Not true. I would take this to mean you just figured out what to say and needed a snappy header to start off your contribution to this thread.
Qazz did the same thing when he waded into these two threads waving his arms about. I didn't really want to reply to this post as it was rather minor, but unless I begin to tackle some of these points, you could get upset.

The Tari wrote:
I smell a contradiction. Surely if they work on the game only because they want to they'll only work on it when the inclination strikes? And yet you claim some sort of entitlement to what they work on for fun..
The developers may be able to decide to develop this game however they like, but we're the audience. We'll be doing the developers a favor by being the people who will play, test and ensure this game has a community after it is finished or released in a playable form. Surely that counts for something. The day the consumer loses importance in the cycle of product development is a bad day.

The Tari wrote:
The only such person I see is you making an ass of yourself..
Spaceninja and Lucas are two more upset people. As for asses, there are none here. Kerm moderates all such content out, i'm afraid. I think you need a sight check, friend. I mean, really. People aren't allowed to complain around here, it seems, without being labelled so harshly.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
The Tari wrote:
I've been perfectly content to sit and watch this, but you evidently don't care about anything the people here have to say, so now I'm going to play Logic Police.
Not true. I would take this to mean you just figured out what to say and needed a snappy header to start off your contribution to this thread.
Qazz did the same thing when he waded into these two threads waving his arms about. I didn't really want to reply to this post as it was rather minor, but unless I begin to tackle some of these points, you could get upset.
You're finding anything and everything to jump onto, now aren't you elrunethe2nd?

elrunethe2nd wrote:
The developers may be able to decide to develop this game however they like, but we're the audience. We'll be doing the developers a favor by being the people who will play, test and ensure this game has a community after it is finished or released in a playable form. Surely that counts for something. The day the consumer loses importance in the cycle of product development is a bad day.
I personally wouldn't want my audience to be filled with members as ungrateful and persistently loud-mouthed as you. The fact of the matter is this: It'll get done when it gets done. It's being developed for free, by people who code it on their own free time. If you're really this flustered about it then why don't you stop waiting. You're not motivating anyone here you're just pissing everybody off. Trash your sense of entitlement, I haven't seen you break a sweat over the development of this game engine yet. (or even show an inclination to be willing to).

You're well out of your place coming on here with the expectations that you do, just stirring up shit just to stir it up. A friendly poke to the developers on the forum might have been acceptable at one point, but not this.
The point of amateur development is NOT getting your stuff sold/used/whatever. Most hobby coders write software because they like it. The fact that people use it is nice, but it's not the primary goal.
Mapar007 wrote:
The point of amateur development is NOT getting your stuff sold/used/whatever. Most hobby coders write software because they like it. The fact that people use it is nice, but it's not the primary goal.
Precisely. In other words, the game's audience is icing on the cake. And the game's annoying, complaining audience makes the developers not want to develop it anymore. They're not in this project for you necessarily, but for them.

Regardless of that, the fact that you seem highly entitled to the game and the finished project is just absurd. Immaturity and impatience are both words that describe your behavior quite well.

If you're waiting for the game to be released, don't hold your breath. Let the developers develop it at their own pace, on their own time. Like they've been planning to do from the start. There's plenty of other games out there, so go play with those while you wait, instead of complaining. That is obviously getting you no where.
Quote:
I haven't seen you break a sweat over the development of this game engine yet. (or even show an inclination to be willing to).


Too bad the game is closed source.

Also, Elrune has helped with the menu AFAIK

From credits.txt: "Thanks also to elrune, Lucas and Feedback from The Orange Block"
From what I've read, the engine is closed-source because it uses software that is non-gpl'ed. (I don't know the license's details)
Mapar007 wrote:
The point of amateur development is NOT getting your stuff sold/used/whatever. Most hobby coders write software because they like it. The fact that people use it is nice, but it's not the primary goal.
You... seriously believe people would make something that noone would use? That is a stretch of the imagination. You cannot factor out audience. It is simply impossible. This isn't where you are carving a statue, and it is what you want to express or bring to the piece of stone, and not what you want it to evoke in people.

Swivelgames, I am complaining because it has been so long. I did this last year, and was fed the same response. I quieted down then, and got involved in my other projects, started another two comics, and fed the same response by proxy to the people of TOB, to keep them placated.

I also like how a criticism from somebody gets you into such a mode. How people are out of place to question things. It would be interesting to see your childhood and how it shaped such a view.

Swivelgames wrote:
the game's audience is icing on the cake

The developers may be able to decide to develop this game however they like, but we're the audience. We'll be doing the developers a favor by being the people who will play, test and ensure this game has a community after it is finished or released in a playable form. Surely that counts for something. We haven't left yet because I guess some feeble part of the collective TOB players wants to desperately believe that something is happening here, that TBG is a reality and not a pipedream comparable to Duke Nukem Forever or a similar project.

Swivelgames wrote:
I haven't seen you break a sweat over the development of this game engine yet. (or even show an inclination to be willing to).
I don't feel like shelling out a certain amount per month to get engine access, no. Please don't tell me that that makes me unreasonable. I do believe I suggested a free alternative.
Regarding that, Elfprince, I was serious about my suggestion.

Calling me immature and impatient would be the same as me calling you an emotionally toxic individual because of how you treated Spaceninja in that other thread, pointless and not relevant to the thread.
"I am complaining because it has been so long."


Ever stop and consider WHY it has been so long?
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Mapar007 wrote:
The point of amateur development is NOT getting your stuff sold/used/whatever. Most hobby coders write software because they like it. The fact that people use it is nice, but it's not the primary goal.
You... seriously believe people would make something that noone would use? That is a stretch of the imagination. You cannot factor out audience. It is simply impossible. This isn't where you are carving a statue, and it is what you want to express or bring to the piece of stone, and not what you want it to evoke in people.


As a matter of a fact, I do believe it. Most of my software tools, even big projects, have never been released. I don't even use most of those programs. I just created them for the fun and the challenge of it.

Yes, I know you're going to say that TBG was intended to be released to the public. But primarily, we're still talking about 'hobbyism', not commercial software development or anything of the sort.
The workers on this program just don't have time..... Can you wait perhaps?

I can understand you want the game, but seriously? Doing this will just turn the makers off from working on it....
Oh, It's only been 3 1/2 years.
Personal problems much?
You try waiting 3 years about some magical, ground breaking game that's coming "in the near future" in which the Alpha is almost ToB with Cemetech slap'd on.
tifreak, I apologize for quoting you Wink


No one on this site, that programs for this or any of the other projects, are getting paid to do it.

You want to motivate them to work on this project? Start paying them.

Otherwise, you have NO RIGHT to whine that something isn't done. If you feel the need to whine about it, stfu, learn the language of the item you want programmed and contribute.

Seriously.
Quote:
No one on this site, that programs for this or any of the other projects, are getting paid to do it.


They are if you code for TBG.
Then tell that ti tifreak
qazz42 wrote:
Then tell that ti tifreak


qazz42, i still haven't even figured out why you're so involved.
You see how they are acting like this about freebuild and such, thats how I USED to act towards ndless2.0....


BrandonW thought me otherwise.... And now I understand about this kinda stuff\

I feel bad for the programmers, most likly having lives and other projects, not enough time for freebuild. This new wave or demand really aint helping and at the least will not contribute to speeding things along.
Lucas W wrote:
Quote:
No one on this site, that programs for this or any of the other projects, are getting paid to do it.


They are if you code for TBG.

They are not getting paid as far as I can see, unless you have donated large amounts of cash somewhere to the bountysource page I see no one making a living off of Freebuild. Also the scripts that support the main engine are completely open source as you can see from the SVN repo, it would be great if they could make the engine Open Source as well but due to license restrictions they cannot. Deal with it.
So, if you want them to stop their jobs and stop having lives, pay them to make it. Simple
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 6
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement