As you guys may know I've been working on a Pokemon Red clone for some while now, but I'm really looking for some feedback to make sure as I progress I stay as true to the original as possible.
You might ask what makes this clone different from all the million or so other projects. Not much actually, but my one claim to fame is I'm writing it in pure assembly. This has two advantages, one speed. Its fast. Fast enough to make it look like the original on 800% speed (for asm programmers I do the equivalent of 5 halts to get it close to the original). Second advantage is importing data. I can just go find the stuff online, format it into macros and boom I have all the Pokemon and item data.

At this point I am working on two things. One finishing up the main engine. The goal is to make most everything done through macros so that anybody can pick it up and add some data. Two, the battle engine. Its a beast Neutral

tl;dr download some pokemans and give feedback.
Warning: requires a 83+SE or greater. Very large program. Possibility of crashes.
Pokemon.8xk
BuckeyeDude wrote:
Not much actually, but my one claim to fame is I'm writing it in pure assembly.

The original Pokémon Red Version was also written in pure assembly.
HOLY CRAP
This is one of the coolest things to grace my calculator in a *long* time.
Screenshot: http://ourl.ca/6137/96726
Go look at it. Now.
Does it work on a Nspire?

F**k a it doesnt.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
BuckeyeDude wrote:
Not much actually, but my one claim to fame is I'm writing it in pure assembly.

The original Pokémon Red Version was also written in pure assembly.

True, I meant compared to the clones currently being written, I know of 4, none of which are pure assembly.

Quote:
Does it work on a Nspire?

I'm sure it doesnt. I don't know how much the nspire emulates, so I dont know how hard it would be to get working on there. If it doesn't do the crystal timers, you're out of luck, probably never going to happen. Other than that, I don't think I'm doing to many undocumented things...
Huzzah, an ASM version! I hope you're planning to make it at least Doors CS-compatible, if not Doors CS-specific. Wink I'll definitely enjoy giving this a try.
Unless DCS can now run other applications, I don't think that will happen, Kerm. :p *points to the link and it being a .8xk'
Lol Kerm Failed
tifreak8x wrote:
Unless DCS can now run other applications, I don't think that will happen, Kerm. :p *points to the link and it being a .8xk'
Whoops, my mistake, sorry about that. No need to post a three-word post poking fun at me, qazz42. Razz So Buckeye, how much stuff is in it already, how much is planned, etc? I would think that for something like this the work necessary for the artwork is practically on par with the general coding work, based on TIFreak8x's and JoeYoung'd Pokemon projects?
Kerm there is always a need to make fun of you

Razz
BuckeyeDude @ Omnimaga wrote:
[...]This has two advantages, one speed. Its fast. Fast enough to make it look like the original on 800% speed (for asm programmers I do the equivalent of 5 halts to get it close to the original).[...]
Is this on 6MHz or 15MHz hardware? If 15MHz, does it run ok on 6MHz hardware, or no?
An excellent question. In response it runs pretty well on 6 MHz hardware, try it. I'm not sure what the delay between scrolling is, its probably some key checking or crap that I'm doing. Keep in mind the 83 plus version is not as nice because it doesnt use the crystal timers.

There are some minor bug fixes included here (mainly to the battle engine), and an improved gray routine thanks to calc84maniac. You can also press C to see what the map overview will look like (thanks to Magic Banana).

83+SE and greater:
Http://group.revsoft.org/Pokemon/Pokemon.8xk
83+/Nspire:
Http://group.revsoft.org/Pokemon/Pokemon.83Plus.8xk
I hope this is of help to you.. I can still post the BASIC version up if you like.

Mathstuf:

List of 10 numbers, with decreasing values that the total of the list =256.

From there, you need a randInt(1,255

Simple code he gave me was:

randInt(1,255->R: 1->I :While R>0 :R-L1(I->R :I+1->I :End

I is the chosen pokemon

My 'L1' is as follows:

{48,44,40,36,28,22,17,12,7,2
BuckeyeDude wrote:
An excellent question. In response it runs pretty well on 6 MHz hardware, try it. I'm not sure what the delay between scrolling is, its probably some key checking or crap that I'm doing. Keep in mind the 83 plus version is not as nice because it doesnt use the crystal timers.
That's fair, and it answers my question very well. I'm glad that TI-83+ owners are not excluded from enjoying the game.

BuckeyeDude wrote:
There are some minor bug fixes included here (mainly to the battle engine), and an improved gray routine thanks to calc84maniac. You can also press C to see what the map overview will look like (thanks to Magic Banana).
Good stuff. Also please keep us posted with more day-to-day updates, and let us know if you need coding, artwork, or gameplay help. Smile
Is something wrong with my copy of pokemon red?
I transferred it to my TI-84SE and when I play it, it starts me at a pokecenter in town #2 and I can't save, open options, open items, or look at player status. I can access my pokemon, but I can't do anything with it.
Nope, I haven't implemented any of that yet. Remember this is just a demo for now, i'm still working on making it all work
Oh. Thanks for your quick reply. I think this has a great potential, everything is almost identical Smile I think it would be great if we could also zoom out a bit so we can see a bit more of our surroundings. Great though! Hope you finish it soon!

~mathpie
Yeah i wish you could too, but i cant change the display size. I was playing around with the idea of letting you zoom out to 8x8 tiles, but it would take up shittons of extra room having to store it all, and its gonna be big enough already
BuckeyeDude wrote:
Yeah i wish you could too, but i cant change the display size. I was playing around with the idea of letting you zoom out to 8x8 tiles, but it would take up a of extra room having to store it all, and its gonna be big enough already
Couldn't you use a simple 1 of 4 algorithm to pick out 1/4 of the pixels to make 8x8 sprites? It's not the best quality by far, but it's something.
build an averaged grayscale 8*8 temporary spritesheet in RAM.

Also, this looks fantastic. Any chance of support for trading?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours