EXCELLENT!
 64%  [ 9 ]
I don't participate in contests
 28%  [ 4 ]
I would prefer... (please post below)
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Ohh ohhh I have one

Lets have a contest for a DCS themed internet explorer, basicly it has gryscale pics of famous sites and when you enter that url for the site it brings up that pic.
@Kerm, if people want to use them, I guess I have no problems with Libraries as long as you don't. Remember, each contest has to have its own set of rules, so we can set it up as needed for each one.

@qazz42:I don't think so for two reasons:

1. You called it Internet Explorer, which is a trademarked name.

2. I don't see the point really. You are basically taking mini Screenshots of sites and displaying them on your calc. I think something that actually has some use would be better.
rivereye wrote:
@Kerm, if people want to use them, I guess I have no problems with Libraries as long as you don't. Remember, each contest has to have its own set of rules, so we can set it up as needed for each one.
Sounds good, Rivereye. It sounds to me like we're about ready to draw up an official article announcing the contest and enumerating the rules, do you agree?
rivereye wrote:

Then don't inject your own opinion first and then say no one else can express theirs...
BrandonW, if you make me a USB WiFi driver, I'll submit a YouTube program that will stream videos to your calc.
SirCmpwn wrote:
BrandonW, if you make me a USB WiFi driver, I'll submit a YouTube program that will stream videos to your calc.
That would be a pretty huge undertaking. I'd assume you'd need a computer program to fetch, preprocess, and compress the videos, then an oncalc program to interface with BrandonW's driver, which would probably be the less-challenging of the two. Razz
Something like that. Of course, that would require Brandon to write a WiFi driver for me first.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Something like that. Of course, that would require Brandon to write a WiFi driver for me first.
You could always stream over a bluetooth serial connection and achieve the same thing, could you not?
That would be pointless, because if you have your computer right next to you, you would use it instead for the higher quality.
SirCmpwn wrote:
That would be pointless, because if you have your computer right next to you, you would use it instead for the higher quality.
In the scenario that I had presented, you'd still need a computer nearby to do the preprocessing, unless you made that a web service accessible from the calculator (which I guess would work fine).
Yeah, I was thinking web service.
BrandonW wrote:
rivereye wrote:

Then don't inject your own opinion first and then say no one else can express theirs...

Brandon, I only said for this thread, as to keep it from going way off topic. I don't mind people debating things, but do it where appropriate, browser debates don't belong in a contest thread.
ANYWAY so Rivereye, I think a final item of business to decide is the timeframe for this contest. Any ideas?
You could probably line it up with the Axe contest.
SirCmpwn wrote:
You could probably line it up with the Axe contest.
Well, one of the big decisions to make would be whether to make the contest end before or after Doors CS 7.0 will be released on September 1st, and then figure it out from there. I want to make sure people will have enough time to write their entries.
It should probably end after DCS7 is released, I think you are right. Users should have time to test with the final version.
rivereye wrote:
BrandonW wrote:
rivereye wrote:

Brandon, I only said for this thread, as to keep it from going way off topic. I don't mind people debating things, but do it where appropriate, browser debates don't belong in a contest thread.

Exactly, so don't inject your opinion in an inappropriate thread, which is what you did.
I edited all the posts on this subject to make them less contentious and refer to something that's a fact rather than an opinion.

SirCmpwn, That sounds like a plan, so maybe September 15th or so? How would that work for everyone? How many of you plan to enter the contest, and in what category?
I'll enter and do something in BASIC.
KeithJohansen wrote:
I'll enter and do something in BASIC.
Sweet! If I add some BASIC libraries for GUI and AP stuff, would either of those be helpful to you, or would you be sticking with the XLib/Celtic/Omnicalc/PicArc libraries, if any?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours