The TARDIS Can not be destroyed, the fifth doctor has stated that.

And Kerm, it was the Atraxi.
Lucas W wrote:
The TARDIS Can not be destroyed, the fifth doctor has stated that.

And Kerm, it was the Atraxi.
Right, the Atraxi. I wonder if they're gonna figure into the second half of the finale at all.

Did anyone have thoughts they wanted to share about the first half of the finale? For example, how they think the Doctor will escape, or who the voice proclaiming silence is, or how the Doctor is going to get the rest of creation to reappear? I for one thing he's gonna cut off a piece of the door to make the time loop of him finding that piece complete, or something along those lines. Although doesn't it need to not be the same door? When Rose touched herself, it was a paradox and terrible things happened in Father's Day. Shouldn't horrible terrible things have happened when the future piece of the TARDIS door touched the present piece at the end of the mining two-parter?
I was partially right in my musings. River is the one that blows up in the TARDIS.

Lucas W: Just because they say something in a show a long time ago does not mean they will hold true to it now. Shows across the spectrum are like this.

"In Father's Day"? Wasn't that the episode she saved her father?
That was the one. Lemme copy-paste our relevant IRC discussion:

Code:
[21:54:31] <+KermM> tifreak, that's the one
[21:54:52] <@tifreak> Then I must regretfully tell you you are remembering that episode incorrectly
[21:55:05] <@tifreak> She never touched her counterpart
[21:55:13] <@tifreak> she pushed her dad out of the road and saved him
[21:55:24] <@tifreak> after that, the past doctor and rose vanished
[21:55:27] <@tifreak> and she tore time
[21:55:35] <@tifreak> from there things fell apart
[21:55:41] <+KermM> nono
[21:55:44] <+KermM> remember in the church
[21:55:49] <+KermM> adult rose touched baby rose
[21:55:58] <+KermM> and it made the winged creature appear in the church instead of outside
[21:56:10] <+KermM> which made the Doctor have to sacrifice himself to cancel it out?
[21:56:34] <+KermM> I'm talking about Baby Rose, not Adult Other Rose
[21:56:38] <@tifreak> I remember the winged creature, I don't remember her touching a baby, thought baby rose wasn't there yet
[21:56:52] <+KermM> it was
[21:56:57] <+KermM> you should rewatch that ep :)
[21:57:04] <@tifreak> But regardless, her touching the baby was not the cause of the timeline falling apart
[21:57:09] <@tifreak> that was her savin her dad
[21:57:15] <@tifreak> and the Doctor exploded at her about it
[21:57:21] <@tifreak> and things started happening after that
[21:57:30] <+KermM> but touching the baby made it much worse
[21:57:44] <+KermM> because the TARDIS was re-materializing in the church thanks to the TARDIS key
[21:57:56] <+KermM> and the creature made it disappear again
tifreak8x wrote:
Lucas W: Just because they say something in a show a long time ago does not mean they will hold true to it now. Shows across the spectrum are like this.

In a show? IT'S THE SAME SHOW, and the community would go batshit (especially if the TARDIS was destoryed, which is, ah, IMPOSSIBLE as the show would die).

EDIT: Just read the Wikipedia article for that episode and it's much like modern day Doctor Who

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontios

Quote:
The TARDIS lands in the far future, on the fictional planet Frontios, where some of the last vestiges of humanity are struggling for survival.
Oh hey! It's Utopia!

Quote:
After witnessing Revere being “eaten by the ground,”
I can't believe it's not Reptile.

Quote:
the Doctor violates the cardinal rule of the Time Lords by helping the colonists who were injured by the meteorite bombardment and by providing medical assistance.
Water anyone?

Also, for the lolz

Quote:
Another bombardment occurs and when the skies clear, the TARDIS has gone, seemingly destroyed; all that is left is the Doctor’s hat stand.

Also, the villians in the episode are SCARY

This is the best picture I could find:

One compainion's face when he sees them is (righfully) like he looked into the face of all evil.
[spoilers about season 5 ep 12]

I just noticed something interesting while rewatching this episode.

AMY: How did it end up in there?
DOCTOR: You know fairytales. A good wizard tricked it.
RIVER: I hate good wizards in fairytales, they always turn out to be him [the Doctor]

So did the Doctor indeed set up the whole thing to get himself trapped in the box? As I theorized to tifreak8x yesterday, what if it's him that subtly influenced Amy as a child to be interested in Pandora's Box and Roman soldiers, and thus himself influence the scenario that his enemies created for him? Therefore he would be tricking them into tricking him into putting him in the box, while in reality he has some plans up his sleeve, or at least in the future will put together things to help himself in the past? I only wonder whether that would violate the whole don't-cross-your-own-timeline ("except-for-cheap-party-tricks") theory?
tifreak8x wrote:
I was partially right in my musings. River is the one that blows up in the TARDIS.

I think you're supposed to get that impression, but someone else is controlling the TARDIS (that whole "Silence will fall" voice) and she says her "sorry dear" thing when she opens the TARDIS door to get out and sees the cement wall.

tifreak8x wrote:

To be fair though, Moffett has made it clear he is much more interested in preserving the continuity of the show as a whole than RTD was.
KermMartian wrote:
[spoilers about season 5 ep 12]

I just noticed something interesting while rewatching this episode.

AMY: How did it end up in there?
DOCTOR: You know fairytales. A good wizard tricked it.
RIVER: I hate good wizards in fairytales, they always turn out to be him [the Doctor]

So did the Doctor indeed set up the whole thing to get himself trapped in the box? As I theorized to tifreak8x yesterday, what if it's him that subtly influenced Amy as a child to be interested in Pandora's Box and Roman soldiers, and thus himself influence the scenario that his enemies created for him? Therefore he would be tricking them into tricking him into putting him in the box, while in reality he has some plans up his sleeve, or at least in the future will put together things to help himself in the past? I only wonder whether that would violate the whole don't-cross-your-own-timeline ("except-for-cheap-party-tricks") theory?

The question is..

Why does she hate good wizards when it is him. That part makes little sense. o.o
Yeah, that's why I was confused as well. Any insights into that?
Australia is only up to The Lodger Razz
Lucas W wrote:
Australia is only up to The Lodger Razz
So is America, as of tomorrow. Britain, however, has the grand finale tomorrow! I know a lot of people that are very excited about it.
So, rewatched the first episode so far, getting ready to start on the second one. 2 things I noticed.

1) He says Amelia's name is like that of a fairy tale.

2) near the end, with the scanner/monitor, there are 2 lines, the bottom one looks just like the crack in the wall. Not sure if it is significant or not, just noticed.

Onward to #2!

Edit:

Watching #2, made it to the point where she is at the console where she watches the video and has to make a choice. How does it know who she is, and how does that video appear in it? Another little clue perhaps?

Edit2:

In episode 3, after the Doctor returns from the Dalek ship (29:38 for me) you get a clear shot of the wall as the TARDIS rematerializes. There is nothing there. However, when the TARDIS starts to push itself through time with Amy on board, the crack appears. Same thing happened in #2, but that -could- be dismissed as not being shown. I wonder what is specifically special about Amy that she doesn't remember the Daleks, her moving through time causes the cracks, and the cracks seemingly react to her emotions? That last part is of course speculation.

Anyways, on to #4.

Edit 3:

Episodes 4 & 5

Just sort of combine these together here.

Sadly, for these two episodes, I am not sure where their logic went to sleep at, or if the writers got a bit drunk and didn't think things through..

So in this episode, we get to see a bit more of the doctor traversing time and space to save someone important, to be there at the precise second needed. Kind of interesting, and something that should be done a little more, honestly.

Anyways, they finally give this crack a real threat. Anything that gets caught in its energy, will be erased from time. This is awesome. Finally something that makes the Doctor scared because he has -no- clue wtf is going on or how to fix it. We also learn a bit more about the Angels, which to me are the scariest baddies in the series.

As to the picking apart of logic.. Well, for starters, the crack erases things from time itself. Okay, easy enough to understand. So keeping this in mind, and keeping in mind that (somehow) time travel makes a person immune and allows them to remember things. This will play later in another episode.

We go through all this action through out both episodes, losing three military men to the angel, 4 to the crack, and then the commander to the angel. Once the ship tilted and deposited the angels down into the crack and sealed it, logically, the Doctor and Amy should have ended back up in the museum, knowing what had happened, but not really having experienced it. The reason for this is the angel never existed, would have not been on the ship to crash into the maze to revive its comrades. At least the 4 of the soldiers would not have been killed because they were taken by the angels. The 4 that was erased by the crack would probably still be gone, since they never existed because of the crack in the first place. And dear River would still be in prison for 'killing a good man, a very good man.'

As previously mentioned, I think Amy and the crack are emotionally tied together in some way. As soon as the Doctor started making her frightened with the knowledge she had an angel inside her mind, the crack began to grow exponentially. This also plays later on.

On to episode 6!

Edit4:

Got episode 6 out of the way. Nothing really much about the story arc in this one. We already knew from the first episode of the season that some of the cracks could allow people/things to move from one time/place to another time/place. We get a dose of what the 'silence' is though. About the only thing this episode enlightens us to.

Also, Rori/Rory seems a bit too smart about somethings, and.. slightly dumb and hesitant on common things. Might just be me though, but since I know what happens in 12..

Downloading episode 13 while I watch #7 now!

Edit5:

Episode 7.. We learn that the Doctor doesn't like himself. Well hmm.. Who doesn't dislike themselves at least in the smallest of ways.

Regardless, nothing here that seemingly helps the overall arc of current series/story. If there is, I was completely blind to it. Feels like it was just a filler episode though.

On to 8..
Why couldn't the Doctor have pushed Rory out of the way and take the laser beam? That's sort of the thing the Doctor does. Or he could have Sonic'd it.
Umm, not sure, atm I am going in a chronological order of episodes and picking them apart. I'll worry about that once I get that far..
tifreak8x wrote:
2) near the end, with the scanner/monitor, there are 2 lines, the bottom one looks just like the crack in the wall. Not sure if it is significant or not, just noticed.

I saw that too.

Quote:
Watching #2, made it to the point where she is at the console where she watches the video and has to make a choice. How does it know who she is, and how does that video appear in it? Another little clue perhaps?

She's a british citizen, so she is in the database, and there is a record button. She records the message and then presses forget.
Really? I saw two buttons: Forget and Protest

I didn't see a record button o.o
It was wide and in the middle.
Hmm, alrighty then. Must have not looked when it displayed them, but yes, there it is. Odd.. o.O

Ok then, never mind. On to the dreaded third episode.. >< Not sure there was anything there that would give any hints to anything, but I don't want to miss anything. :p
lol, didn't have to show proof, I did indeed see it. XD

Going back to edit my 'pick-apart' post above with what I saw/think for the last one I watched, then watch some more!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours