Hi!
Fed up with accidental crashes and RAM clears, I was wondering if there was anything that could do automatic periodic RAM backups. I have tried Omnicalc but every time I hit 2ND -> QUIT, weird dots appear on the screen. I also have yet to see it actually work. And it makes my calculator more unstable. What else can I use?
Thanks!
I do not know of anything, but if you mean to actually back up the RAM as a "state image file", or something like an archived .tig file (Ti program group)?

Edit:

Find a program that backs up your RAM, and then use the startup app from Ti to run that program every time you turn on your calc.
Alright thanks! Where can I find the startup app?
EDIT: Found it. http://education.ti.com/en/us/software/details/en/77EC7DE5D3694F4595C262FDFC2ACC4B/83startupcustomization
Do you know where I could find a program that could backup? Or do you know if the libraries included DCS7 could do it?
EDIT: Oops! Misread DCS7's documentation. I thought it came with the libraries.
I'll look around
pmdevita wrote:
Do you know where I could find a program that could backup? Or do you know if the libraries included DCS7 could do it?
EDIT: Oops! Misread DCS7's documentation. I thought it came with the libraries.
You could easily write one yourself using Doors CS's BASIC features!
Do you know which command I'd need to use?
pmdevita wrote:
Do you know which command I'd need to use?
Well, you could use GetProgList to get a list of programs. Since we have no stable and portable way to create group files, you could then use something like LineRead and LineWrite to concatenate them into a file, but that sounds very awkward. An ASM stub might be a better bet. Sad
Is that an assembly program under the PRGM button executed with asm( ?
pmdevita wrote:
Is that an assembly program under the PRGM button executed with asm( ?
That would be one way you could do it, yes. By "stub" I really just mean a small program with a single function (in this case, creating a new group containing all your programs that are in RAM).
Something like (in pseudocode):

Code:

for (1 to NumberofPrograms, i++) {
   archive(Program[i])
}
Omnicalc is an app that has a backup RAM feature.

It backs up your RAM to the archive when you turn your calc off.

(Doesn't work on a ti 83+)
GinDiamond wrote:
Omnicalc is an app that has a backup RAM feature.

(Doesn't work on a ti 83+)
1) Don't double-post. You know this already.
2) Read the rest of the topic, including the OP's post:
Quote:
I have tried Omnicalc but every time I hit 2ND -> QUIT, weird dots appear on the screen.
Ok so I compiled and ran this on jstified

Code:
#include "ti83plus.inc"
define bcall(50C5)
.end

And I get an Invalid error. I have no experience with assembly so this probably wrong but am I on the right track?
EDIT: I need to enter the name of the group it will create. How could I pull that from a string?
don't you have to do this:

Code:

#include "ti83plus.inc"
#define bcall($50C5) [name]
.end

How you get a string, I've no idea.
KermM would be of more help than I here.
GinDiamond wrote:
No.
Omnicalc uses some of the extra RAM for that function, IIRC pages 0x83 and 0x84. This doesn't get cleared by the OS when it wants to ensure the system is consistent, but isn't preserved across power loss.
GinDiamond wrote:

Code:

#include "ti83plus.inc"
#define bcall($50C5) [name]
.end

Do I keep the brackets around "name" and/or add parenthesis? I tried compiling it with and with out parenthesis and brackets and it won't compile.
Sadly, that's not even close to being a valid assembly program. Sad I think you'd be better off trying to teach yourself some ASM from scratch, or just asking one of the ASM coders in the community if they would help you make this. It would be about 20 or 30 lines in ASM, I would think.
I could really use a program like this too and I posted it awhile ago but the thread went dead~ at any rate, I may have asked Xeda to see if she could, but I don't know if she every got around to doing so.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours