Man, it seems I always have some kind of problem... Well, this morning I installed Ubuntu, And some things aren't working.

1. Sound- Speakers are on, volume up, but when sound plays, I hear very soft static

2. Login- I can't seem to login to the admin area of my site. (when i click login, the fields reset)
1. Sounds like the sound is muted. On my eeePC running Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix, when I mute the audio it instead turns into soft static.

2. What browser, Firefox? You don't have Javascript disabled or anything, do you?
KermMartian wrote:
1. Sounds like the sound is muted. On my eeePC running Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix, when I mute the audio it instead turns into soft static.

2. What browser, Firefox? You don't have Javascript disabled or anything, do you?

Chrome, and no.I tried pressing the mute button and it shows speakers without an X, just no sound, could it be a driver I need?

Also, sound works under my Windows 7 os.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Chrome, and no.I tried pressing the mute button and it shows speakers without an X, just no sound, could it be a driver I need?

Also, sound works under my Windows 7 os.

For the sound, try opening up alsamixer in a terminal and looking at all the different controls you can try there. Also check to see if it works with headphones, it may just be a matter of toggleing a headphone switch in alsamixer.

As for the login try other browsers, google chrome for linux is a little buggier in my experince than google chrome for windows.
I find Chrome unstable in general, did you try out Firefox?
For me, with recent Ubuntu versions, I sometimes had to change the output manually... click on the sound icon and then click "Sound Preferences." On the "Output" tab, make sure the "Connector" drop-down is set correctly. Sometimes I had to do this before sound went through my headphones and not my internal laptop speakers.

Hope this works for you! Very Happy
Interesting, I think that may be related to if not precisely what Jonimus was talking about? I hope these tips help out EpicFail to some extent, or at least point him in the right direction.
TheStorm: Opened it up and changed settings, tried all combinations, with and without headphones, nothing.

KermMartian: Tried out Chrome and Firefox with setting combinations mentioned above, nothing.

technomonkey76: Went through and messed with some of those options, nothing.

Very Strange indeed.

I asked my friend what his thoughts were, he said to see if any driver updates were available, there are none. Well, what should I do now? Ask for help on the Ubuntu site?
Do you have any idea what the exact model of sound card you have is?
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
TheStorm: Opened it up and changed settings, tried all combinations, with and without headphones, nothing.

KermMartian: Tried out Chrome and Firefox with setting combinations mentioned above, nothing.

technomonkey76: Went through and messed with some of those options, nothing.

Very Strange indeed.

I asked my friend what his thoughts were, he said to see if any driver updates were available, there are none. Well, what should I do now? Ask for help on the Ubuntu site?

Try to identify what model of sound card you have, and if you can, post it here...
technomonkey76 wrote:
Do you have any idea what the exact model of sound card you have is?

No clue on how to check, do you know how in either Ubuntu or Windows 7?
Not really in Ubu but I think you can google for the specs on ur laptop model... In Windows 7, you can got to the device manager and look for the manufacturer and model IDs, i.e. my GMA 4500MHD's IDs are 0x8086 (Intel) and 2A42 (A model ID in the GM45 chipset family). At least I THINK it's possible to find those in Win7... and when you find them, google the numbers without the "0x" and a space inbetween... hopefully you'll get some results...
It's super-easy under Ubuntu:

Code:
lspci | grep Audio
And where would that code go?? Very Happy Sorry still finding out what Ubuntu has.
KermMartian wrote:
It's super-easy under Ubuntu:

Code:
lspci | grep Audio

So audio devices are always PCI? I thought they could be something different... that's why I wasn't sure... okay, I guess I was wrong! Not sure why I thought that (that they weren't always PCI unless they were external), though...

And it goes into the Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal)
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
And where would that code go?? Very Happy Sorry still finding out what Ubuntu has.
Click on the Ubuntu menu, Utilities, Terminal. You can also just press Ctrl-Alt-F1 ( IMPORTANT: you'll be confused. You can press Ctrl-Alt-F7 at any time to get back to the GUI).
Sweet, here is what it said.

Quote:
AUDIO DEVICE: Intel Corporation 5 series/3400 series chipset high definition audio (rev 05)
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Click on the Ubuntu menu, Utilities, Terminal. You can also just press Ctrl-Alt-F1 ( IMPORTANT: you'll be confused. You can press Ctrl-Alt-F7 at any time to get back to the GUI).

In newer versions, it's under Accessories... not much difference, tho, huh? Very Happy

Anyway, there IS a bug filed already, but it's still listed as new:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/579599

EDIT: The second post HERE: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1395500 seems to have helped somebody...
technomonkey76 wrote:
Anyway, there IS a bug filed already, but it's still listed as new:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/579599

EDIT: The second post HERE: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1395500 seems to have helped somebody...
Nice find. The linked article from the second link you found (http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/12/17/upgrade-alsa-1-0-22-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10/) looks perfectly doable, although I fear it may overwhelm a Linux newbie like EpicFail. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
Nice find. The linked article from the second link you found (http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/12/17/upgrade-alsa-1-0-22-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10/) looks perfectly doable, although I fear it may overwhelm a Linux newbie like EpicFail. Sad

Overwhelming it is! From what I got out of it, I should upgrade alsa, and to do this I have to manually enter commands into the terminal, am I right?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours