Should Miis be playable?
Indeed, I want to be in a sidescroller!
 43%  [ 7 ]
Nah, I play to be someone OTHER than myself.
 56%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 16

Glad to hear that this is progressing quickly. As always, screenshots for us to oooh and aaah over and code for us to help you debug are equally welcome.
KermMartian wrote:
Glad to hear that this is progressing quickly. As always, screenshots for us to oooh and aaah over and code for us to help you debug are equally welcome.

Screenies: Probably gonna happen soon.
Code: I'm in the contest. I can't post code. I'll send it to you, Kerm, if you really want it.
Regarding the list I gave myself yesterday:

1) Complete Black Reverse Spot Toad's Shop. Done
2) Look for and correct the glitch that disallows editing the course completion variable unless it starts at zero. Done
2.5) Turn working World 1 Overworld program into a World n Overworld Engine. Done. Even allows for extendable worlds (like DS's World 8).
3.) Get to work on the specifics of the worlds. WIP
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Code: I'm in the contest. I can't post code. I'll send it to you, Kerm, if you really want it.
Only if it's DCS-related stuff that you're having trouble with, otherwise it's against the rules. Smile What aspects of the DCS Libs are you using for this project?
KermMartian wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Only if it's DCS-related stuff that you're having trouble with, otherwise it's against the rules. Smile What aspects of the DCS Libs are you using for this project?

Untill I can get my calc linked to get the latest beta, just the icon. When that happens, I will start using at least sum(13) and xLib compatability, probably more.
Excellent. I got your texts about ideas for making an option for sum(13) to be horizontally-scrolling as well; I'm thinking about how that could work.
update: After writing World 1-1 by typing it in, I decided that writing a level editor would make it easier. So now I pose a question to the judges of the contest: If I release a level editor before the contest, then use levels people made in the final game, will I be disqualified, saying as the levels are just a matrix and a value for R, and the engine is pure Xeno-written code?
I would be torn on whether that's legit or not. I tend to think it would be better if you wrote the levels yourself, but I'll confer with Riverye and let you know what we decide.
Here is the issue I see in that Xeno, is how could someone test the levels they are making without a copy of the engine itself. I see two issues for making levels without the ability to test them:

1. The quality of the levels would be low, and uninteresting
2. There could be levels that are theoretically impossible to complete because some expected the Mario to jump 1 extra step than the engine can complete.
rivereye wrote:
Here is the issue I see in that Xeno, is how could someone test the levels they are making without a copy of the engine itself. I see two issues for making levels without the ability to test them:

2. There could be levels that are theoretically impossible to complete because some expected the Mario to jump 1 extra step than the engine can complete.
In light of these excellent points that Rivereye came up with, we've decided that all game levels need to be made by the contest entrant, although people are still welcome to solicit concepts and artwork.
KermMartian wrote:
rivereye wrote:

In light of these excellent points that Rivereye came up with, we've decided that all game levels need to be made by the contest entrant, although people are still welcome to solicit concepts and artwork.

Okey-dokey. New rule has been duly noted and will be taken into account.
Update: I am rewriting the inventory system. Two reasons:

1.) it is the last program to be updated ofter I changed from "P is Power-up" to "iPart(P) is Power-Up, fPart(P) is the character you're playing as."
2.) I deleted the group it was in, believing said group to be completely un-grouped, when in actuality I was missing it, the save routine (rewritten), and another prog which has also been rewritten.

I am considering writing anther level engine for wraparound levels...
Yeah, or neigh, Cemetech?
Progress is halted for at least two weeks, because my calc has gone missing. I believe that Chris (Im Bob) took it with him to Miracle Camp (he didn't ask me for a Xanth book to take up there, and he seemed to avoid me the night before he left). I will let you guys know the verdict on July 26th, when Chris is home for long enough to search the stuff he packed for camp...
Sorry to hear it, good luck.
I have decided that just because I don't have my calc does not mean I can't paper-prog work. Wondering, does

Code:
If det([[42]])≠1337:Then
(display error message telling you to download and install the latest version of the DCSb Libs)
End
If det([[42]])≠1337:Return

work?

Edit: Would anyone be willing to get me the graphscreen-wordwrapped version of the following error message?

"New Super Mario Bros. 83+ requires the DoorsCS7+ BASIC libraries. Please download and install the latest version of DoorsCS at www.cemetech.net."

For example, I believe it begins with

Code:
Text(0,0,"New Super Mario Bros. 83+
Text(6,0,"requires the DoorsCS7 BASIC
Text(12,0,"libraries.  Please...
Mentally working on the way the bosses work. Probably gonna SC them.

Also, note to self regarding the course "callcodes":
W.001 = Power-up Mushroom House
W.002 = 1-UP Mushroom House
W.003 = Mega Mushroom House
W.004 = Mini Mushroom House
W.005 = Star House
1.006 = Peach's Castle
1.007 = Black Reverse Spot Toad's Shop
2.008 = Yoshi's Wooden Hut
W.009 = Warp Cannon
3.0091 = Launch Star (to World Pi)
W.01 = World Course 1
W.02 = World Course 2
W.03 = World Course 3
W.04 = World Course 4
W.05 = World Course 5
W.06 = World Course 6
W.07 = World Course 7
W.08 = World Course 8
W.09 = World Course 9 (except in the case of 9.09, which is W9-Pi)
W.10 = World Fortress - for worlds with one fortress
W.101 = World Fortress 1 - for worlds with multiple fortresses (W8 wink, wink)
W.102 = World Fortress 2
W.11 = Castle
W.12 = Airship
W.13 = Ghost House
W.14 = Toad Rescue
8.15 = Final Castle
Can you explain the alphanumeric prefixes on each of those areas?
KermMartian wrote:
Can you explain the alphanumeric prefixes on each of those areas?

When I write W, I actually mean a number from 1 to 10 (World Pi is 10) telling the world.

But these callcodes are for in the world map, so the program knows which level to load into the engine.

Cemetech: I am disconnecting NSMB83+ from the contest; three reasons I don't have time to explain. If Kerm lets me, I'll change my entry to Swamp Road, a much smaller, much more DCSb-Lib-lending game based on one from a book I read. If not, I'm not in the contest. I'll save NSMB83+ for when I've mastered ASM.
You're welcome to change the subject of your entry as much as you want, as long as you still abide by the rules of the contest. Good luck!
KermMartian wrote:
You're welcome to change the subject of your entry as much as you want, as long as you still abide by the rules of the contest. Good luck!

Good. Thanks, Kerm.

Now that I have time, the reasons:

1.) The sidescroller and world map are ASCII, and despite the fact that I can now call myself a calculator god (I read somewhere that the only requirement was to write a working BASIC sidescroller)
2.) I have written two world maps, no levels, and no bosses, and already it's at 60kB. By the time I'm done, between DCS and NSMB83+, people will need to devote half their Archive to one game. The average user wouldn't like that.
3.) My bro has my calc or is otherwise missing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours