Should Miis be playable?
Indeed, I want to be in a sidescroller!
 43%  [ 7 ]
Nah, I play to be someone OTHER than myself.
 56%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 16

Me and my brother (not the one known to Cemetech as "Im Bob") are currently in the paper stages of creating a sequal to Nintendo's December blockbuster. He and I come up with ideas, yes or shoot them, and then I Proof-Of-Concept pseudo-TI-BASIC program them on a sheet of paper. As of right now I've programmed:
*The downgrade subroutine, including if you have Yoshi
*The item collection/upgrade subroutine
*The NextPowerUp subroutine that is run if you get all 8 red coins or hit a block
*(very loosely) the Controls
*The Mario-checking subroutine, because we decided that player 1 should be allowed to choose, too, but we wanted Mario necessary.

But we need your help! Please vote above, and stay tuned, as I may use this forum as a backup storage base for my POCS (Proof-Of-Concept Subroutines).
I'm sure Nintendo will have a sequel out in a couple years...
Well, Kerm didn't say I couldn't use this forum as a backup storage base for my POCS, so:

Downgrade Subroutine

Code:
If Yoshi≠0:Then:0→Yoshi:Else
If Power/8=iPart(Power/8:Then
0→Power:Lives-1→Lives:subBUBBLE
Else:If Power≤9:Then
If Power=9 or Power/2=iPart(Power/2
Then:1→Power:Else:Power-1→Power:End
Else:If Power<14:Then
8+2fPart(Power/2→Power:Else
2Power-26→Power:End:End:End:End
Power+16iPart(PlayerSprite/16→PlayerSprite

In order to understand that, you need to know the Power Codes:
0000=0 normal
0001=1 Super
0010=2 Fire
0011=3 Dragon
0100=4 Ice
0101=5 Penguin
0110=6 Blue Shell
0111=7 Bowser Shell
1000=8 Mini
1001=9 Propeller
1010=10 Flaming Mini
1011=11 Flaming Propeller that downgrades to propeller
1100=12 Frozen Mini
1101=13 Frozen Propeller that downgrades to Propeller
1110=14 Flaming Propller that downgrades to Fire
1111=15 Frozen Propeller that downgrades to Ice

There's actually a method to my numbering scheme (Hint: Forget 14 and 15, pretend Shell is Fire+Ice and that Propeller is Mini+Super. You'll figure it out eventually)

Edit: accidentally wrote "Faming Mini." Fixed.
Due to a SAX disscussion I had on Monday (thanks Jonimus, Weregoose, tifreak), I will be writing a TI-83/84+ version of this game, titled New Super Mario Bros. 83+. The following subroutine will not be in it, mostly because you can't connect 8 TIs, but I'm still posting it.

Player-obtaining, Character-choosing, Mario-checking Subroutine

Code:
1→NoOfPlayers
<Assign the host Wii the title of “Wii 1”, and the other Wii, if there is one, the title of “Wii 2”>
1→W1P:0→W2P:0→DSP
<Assign the player who started the game the title of “Player 1”>
Repeat GetKeyP1=”Pressed A”
If NewDetection=”WiiRemote” on Wii 1 and W1P≠4 and NoOfPlayers≠8:Then
W1P+1→W1P:NoOfPlayers+1→NoOfPlayers
AssignAsPlayer W1P:End
If NewDetection=”WiiRemote” on Wii 2 and W2P≠4 and NoOfPlayers≠8:Then
W2P+1→W2P:NoOfPlayers+1→NoOfPlayers
AssignAsPlayer W2P+4:End
If NewDetection=”DS” and NoOfPlayers≠8:Then
DSP+1→DSP:NoOfPlayers+1→NoOfPlayers
AssignAsPlayer DSP+8:End
<add allowance for dropping>:End
If W1P≠NoOfPlayers and W2P≠0:Then
For(X,1,W2P
ReassignPlayer X+4,W1P+X:End:End
If W1P+W2P≠NoOfPlayers and DSP≠0:Then
For(X,1,DSP
ReassignPlayer X+8,W1P+W2P+X:End:End
DelVar X
<Send message to Wii1 that it contains players 1 throught W1P>
<Send message to Wii2 that it contains players W1P+1 through W1P+W2P>
For(X,1,DSP
<Send message to the DS that is player W1P+W2P+X informing it of such>
End:DelVar X
0→MarioExist:0→LuigiExist
2fPart(iPart(FreedUnlocked/64)/2→PeachUnlocked
For(X,1,NoOfPlayers)
iPart(PlayerSprite(X)/16) →Check
If Check=0:1→MarioExist
If Check=1:1→LuigiExist:End
If PeachUnlocked=1 and LuigiExist=1:1→MarioExist
If MarioExist=0:Then
If PeachUnlocked=1:Then
Disp “Mario or Luigi must be among those in your party.”:Else
Disp “Mario must be among those in your party.”:End:Else
<Show OK button>:End

Just so you know:
0000=0 Mario
0001=1 Luigi
0010=2 Blue Toad
0011=3 Yellow Toad
0100=4 Magician Rhistle
0101=5 Orange Toad
0110=6 Toadette
0111=7 Purple Toad
1000=8 Princess Peach (unlockable: Beat World 8 Dark Realm. Special: Float Jump.)
1001=9 Princess Daisy (unlockable: Get all three Star Coins in a course as either Luigi or Peach. Special: undecided.)
1010=10 Rosalina (unlockable: Unlock World Pi. Special: Anti-Illusion.)
1011=11 Professor Elven Gadd (unlockable: Find the secret exit in all the Ghost Houses. Special: Inventorying at will.)

The sprite callcode is the player callcode followed by the power callcode. For example, Fire Luigi is 00010010.
If you want to eventually run this on the Wii, you should look into Mono:Wii. It lets you use C#/.NET on a Wii. http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:Wii
SirCmpwn wrote:
If you want to eventually run this on the Wii, you should look into Mono:Wii. It lets you use C#/.NET on a Wii. http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:Wii

But can C# or .NET take advantage of the motion detection?
Yes. http://wiimotelib.codeplex.com/
Motion detection is incomplete, but expected in the next version.
and actually, in my TI-BASIC POCS, I've already got the three specials programmed

Edit: anyone got an idea for Daisy's special?
Progress update: I have a working BASIC sidescroller! Only problem is it can only handle one non-Mario moving object or it gets too slow.
*Bump: I can now do one item (Power-up/1-up) and one plunk (fireball/iceball) at a time. The inventory program, upgrade program, and menu programs are all perfect.

Next stop: World map!
Updates:
1.) Hack-resistantized the character-selection menu
2.) have removed the world-selector auto-run, and will add world 1 auto-run when i'm done with:
3.) Most of the way done with the world map. Still need to make it so that you auto-move unless you're on a level icon or a two- or three-way split.

Requests:
A.) I would like an explanation of this DCS three-byte Parent/Associated program thing. How do I get/make it?
B.) Any volunteers to make a moving GIF?
[quote="Xeno_Cre8or"]Updates:
2.) have removed the world-selector auto-run, and will add world 1 auto-run when i'm done with:
3.) Most of the way done with the world map. Still need to make it so that you auto-move unless you're on a level icon or a two- or three-way split.[/qipte] Awesome! Well done.

Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Requests:
A.) I would like an explanation of this DCS three-byte Parent/Associated program thing. How do I get/make it?
Currently that's only available to ASM programs. Sad Sorry. I hope you'll consider all the other DCSB Libs for BASIC, though.
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Of what?
[quote="KermMartian"]
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Updates:
3.) Most of the way done with the world map. Still need to make it so that you auto-move unless you're on a level icon or a two- or three-way split.[/qipte] Awesome! Well done.

Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Requests:
Currently that's only available to ASM programs. Sad Sorry. I hope you'll consider all the other DCSB Libs for BASIC, though.

What I actually mean is can DCS arc/unarc progs from within a prog?

KermMartian wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Of what?

Of my game, when I post it.
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
What I actually mean is can DCS arc/unarc progs from within a prog?
Yes, and you have two options of how to do it:
1) Use the Doors CS BASIC header described at the link at the end of this paragraph. If you list subprograms between :A and ::, Doors CS will automatically unarchive them when your program launches, and rearchive them when execution completes. http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=BASIC_Header#Icons
2) Use Doors CS' support for the XLib functions, which let you copy a program from archive to a temporary RAM program, run that temporary program, and then delete it. More (abbreviated) info on real(10...), the function you'd want to use: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries

Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Of what?

Of my game, when I post it.
Gladly.
hmm...this looks pretty good, I'm actually waiting for a beta to come out Smile One thing I didn't quite get is, is this for the wii or for the calculator?
_player1537 wrote:
hmm...this looks pretty good, I'm actually waiting for a beta to come out Smile One thing I didn't quite get is, is this for the wii or for the calculator?
I was similarly confused, although I think the change of title clarifies that it's a TI-83+ program. Smile
Update: Due to some sneak-coding, the auto-walk routine while on the world map works, except for an un-findable glitch where it won't turn in row 7 (which is diplayed in Row 8 ). It doesn't error, it just tries to continue going down, gets caught by a different part of the program, and stays where it is.

I also have the 1-UP Mushroom House programed. It will work similar to the way it did in the DS version, but without the movie explaining how it works.

_player1537 wrote:

Proof-of-concept'll be for the calc. Main prog for Wii.
Want to show us some code of the relevant section so we can help you debug it, perhaps?
KermMartian wrote:
Want to show us some code of the relevant section so we can help you debug it, perhaps?

I'm pretty sure the rules of the contest said no posting code.

Anyway, it only is gonna be a problem in World 1.
I now have programmed all but one of the mushroom houses (a category that actually includes Yoshi's wooden hut; Peach's Castle; and Black Reverse Spot Toad's Shop, the one I haven't finished programming.)

After completing BRST's Shop, I will look for the glitch that disallows editing the course completion variable unless it starts at zero. After that, I will get to work on the specifics of the worlds (I have the engine, but not the levels).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours