Seeing as Coke can be used as a cleaning product, yeah, that's why.
TheStorm wrote:
I do have access to MSDNAA but this won't be my laptop its for a family friend so using one of my keys is out of the quesiton, I was able to convert one of my discs to work with Home Prem but it still said it was invalid until I called MS and activated it over the phone.

You already have a CD-Key, the one the laptop came with. Just use that with a retail win 7 cd from the MSDNAA and skip all the crapware.
Kllrnohj wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
I do have access to MSDNAA but this won't be my laptop its for a family friend so using one of my keys is out of the quesiton, I was able to convert one of my discs to work with Home Prem but it still said it was invalid until I called MS and activated it over the phone.

You already have a CD-Key, the one the laptop came with. Just use that with a retail win 7 cd from the MSDNAA and skip all the crapware.

Thats what I did, and it worked fairly well except having to activate over the phone rather than the internet as the it kept saying the key was invalid through that route.
Oh I bloody love their bloatware. Even their printer software is inept at working with their other products. I also love how they package Norton and a pile of games that are pay to play into your PC. As if it wasn't bad enough already.
TheStorm wrote:
1. They were to cheap to ship recovery disks, which I can understand and is rather common. This is not the issue here, the issue is that they felt the need to use a special "Recovery Disc Creator" that decided it takes 4 freakin DVD's to hold Windows 7 Home Prem. Four DVD's. Yes I know optical media is cheap but seriously 4 is excessive by any standard for reinstall media. Not to mention it took 2 hours for the crapware Cyberlink software they use to make them to finish burning and verifiying them. It then took another 2hrs for them to reinstall only to find out that they Include all the OEM crapware I was hoping to remove by doing a reinstall. The other issue here is by using this custom install method I cannot ever hope to dual boot or customise the install in any way. To most consumers this may not be an issue but since I will be helping this laptops new owner with any issues I find this rather annoying to say the least. Since it takes 4 DVDs for the system recovery you would expect the recovery partition to be huge as well and you would be right its a whole freakin 15GB of this new laptops 320, which is way bigger than it should ever need to be.

2. Bloatware, crapware, trialware and all the rest. Normally its just a simple matter of uninstalling most of it or even doing a clean install from a restore disk, oh wait, they use custom disks so even after I do that the norton 60-day trial is still there. Not that Norton is of any use when windows has its own freakin firewall. I mean seriously when will people jsut learn to read before they click and use their freakin heads, if it looks and sounds suspicious don't click on it. And whos idea was it to include Mircosoft Works with anything, why that peice of S*** software is even on the market is beyond me. It is nothing but a waist of time when thens like OpenOffice.org and Google docs exist.

3. HP Media*****. What is this S***, I thought I bought a laptop with Windows 7? If I wanted to use some other software that has less functionallity than what is already installed I will install it myself. I know most of you are thinking that this belongs in the above group but since there was a whole page of things in Add/Remove Programs starting with this label It deserves its own section.

4. Freakishly short Time to enter the Bios to change settings, I mean seriously there is a .1ms window before the screen goes blank where you can press the correct key to even get a menu telling you how to access the bios settings. It took 3 or 4 times to get it right just so I could tell it to boot from CD. What makes it even worse is that its not even to improve boot speed as the screen is black for like 5 seconds after this for no real reason. If they had left the main splash up and accepted input durring this time it wouldn't be an issue but no they decided a black screen was better than people being able to access settings.

I had more but I'm to tired from fighting this POS laptop to think about it.

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Who said people bought Macs for gaming? That's just stupid.
Lucas W wrote:

Most of my friends.
They buy these dumb laptops and boast about how much easier it is to use and then go and put boot camp on it anyway. I'd rather take out the middleman and have more space for games.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Oh I bloody love their bloatware. Even their printer software is inept at working with their other products. I also love how they package Norton and a pile of games that are pay to play into your PC. As if it wasn't bad enough already.
Speaking of printer software, does a simple printer/scanner driver really need to be over 100MB? Does it really take over one hundred million bytes to simply implement scan and print functionality? I've had full Linux distros that were half the size of their drivers.
KermMartian wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Speaking of printer software, does a simple printer/scanner driver really need to be over 100MB? Does it really take over one hundred million bytes to simply implement scan and print functionality? I've had full Linux distros that were half the size of their drivers.

Oh gods, its an embarrassment. Downloading their drivers when you lose the disk is an epic quest. Especially because the Australian downloads default to Nederlandese.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Lucas W wrote:

Most of my friends.
They buy these dumb laptops and boast about how much easier it is to use and then go and put boot camp on it anyway. I'd rather take out the middleman and have more space for games.

What's the point of buying a Mac to put windows on...... Buy a Mac if your going to use Mac OS X and buy/build a PC for Windows/Linux/etc
buy a mac if you're afraid of poking your eyes out on the sharp corners of other laptops.
Lucas W wrote:
What's the point of buying a Mac to put windows on......

The last year and a half of development on Freebuild.
elfprince13 wrote:
Lucas W wrote:
What's the point of buying a Mac to put windows on......

The last year and a half of development on Freebuild.

Elfprince is actually correct on that one. Buying an intel Mac has enabled him to develop and debug FreeBuild on both platforms on the same machine.
I think in Elrune's case his friends never used OS X.
Lucas W wrote:
That doesn't make any sense to me, then why would you pay all the extra money for the more expensive hardware?
Because they've bought into the propaganda that Macs are superior to PCs in every way and if you don't have a Mac you aren't cool and should kill yourself.
DShiznit wrote:
Because they've bought into the propaganda that Macs are superior to PCs in every way and if you don't have a Mac you aren't cool and should kill yourself.
I won't be a total PC snob; Macs do have the advantage that the standardized hardware means you run into a lot fewer driver problems. Unfortunately, I believe this leads to the opposite problem, lack of competition and variety in the peripherals available, high cost of the computer and peripherals due to lack of competitiveness, etc. The restrictiveness of the App store is a perfect example of Apple's attempt to control every piece of their computers, from the hardware to the software.
KermMartian wrote:
Lucas W wrote:
That doesn't make any sense to me, then why would you pay all the extra money for the more expensive hardware?

Exactly.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours