Lucas W wrote:
No, apparently only German and Latin.

I believe the example I used was from Italian or Spanish, although I could me wrong. Regardless, there are many phrases and words taken directly from other languages and used in our own everyday speech. Our culture is already very much immersed in the rest of the world's. Isolationism will get us nowhere.
DShiznit wrote:
Lucas W wrote:
No, apparently only German and Latin.

I believe the example I used was from Italian or Spanish, although I could me wrong.

Latin, actually.
Latin, German, and Greek, actually.
Don't forget Swahili.
I know we get words like "Guitar" from Spanish. And there are loads of Yiddish words we use, like Klutz.
mmmm, and faggoti is a bundle of sticks....
DShiznit wrote:
I know we get words like "Guitar" from Spanish. And there are loads of Yiddish words we use, like Klutz.

Yiddish is German with some Slavic and Semitic vocabulary, and during World War I and the period following it was observed to be mutually intelligible with Scots.

All languages will pick up a smattering of nouns and verbs from other languages when they do not yet have their own word to describe it, but you'll notice we don't say guitarra any more than we say κιθάρα (kithára).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours