On the whole Language and Culture.

Australia is much like that, vacuuming people from all over the world.
The official language of Australia (Excluding the native language) is English and is a requirement to be a functional member of society. There are TAFE (Like a school for anyone over 15 to go to, to learn work skills) where they can learn "English as a second language" which is AFAIK free.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Isn't USA official language English only?

This country doesn't have an official language. English is the de facto language.
I have to apologize for the Hitler reference, they're way overused(particularly by the right), and my anger got the better of me. The process of labeling and rounding people and families up still seems shockingly similar, but I thought I was above such comparisons.

On a related note, I just heard on the news that some Republicans are actually proposing we use predator drones to secure the border. We're talking about families here, with nowhere else to go, and these bastards want to shoot them with missiles. Because they're brown. I feel like vomiting...
DShiznit wrote:
Hitler did the same thing 70 years ago, changing the rules to make a group of people (jews) second-class citizens, so he could label them, round them up, and get rid of them. Granted, we likely won't be sending "illegals" to death camps, but we're on the same track, and I fundamentally disagree with it.

Illegal immigrants aren't second class citizens. They aren't citizens PERIOD. Also, you lose by way of Godwin.

DShiznit wrote:
If you read up on it, you'll find that the quota system that restricts immigration to this day was first introduced by Republicans. Hell, if you go back even further, you'll find that our whole system of immigration was born from racism against the Chinese in the 1880s, again, by Republicans.

Your historical knowledge of the racial politics of the various parties is broken if you think that Republicans (Abraham Lincoln's party) were the source of all racial woes in this country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act_%28United_States%29
Quote:
One of the critics of the Chinese Exclusion Act was the anti-slavery/anti-imperialist Republican Senator George Frisbie Hoar of Massachusetts who described the Act as "nothing less than the legalization of racial discrimination.

On the other hand, the unions, a hot bed of populist and Democratic sentiment, were entirely in favor of it.
Quote:
On the other hand, many people strongly supported the Chinese Exclusion Act, including the Knights of Labor,[13] a labor union which called for improved conditions for workers, who supported it because it believed that industrialists were using Chinese workers as a wedge to keep wages low and conditions poor. Among labor and leftist organizations, the Industrial Workers of the World were the sole exception to this pattern. The IWW openly opposed the Chinese Exclusion Act from its inception in 1905.

Tammany Hall turned the northern Democrats into the party of white immigration, but the most violently racist nonsense was still being spewed by the southern Democrats, and that didn't change until Reagan's coalition gave them a chance to party hop.
DShiznit wrote:
On a related note, I just heard on the news that some Republicans are actually proposing we use predator drones to secure the border. We're talking about families here, with nowhere else to go, and these bastards want to shoot them with missiles. Because they're brown. I feel like vomiting...

I would imagine they'd be used mainly as recon drones...
Even if they are used to shoot Mexicans, so what? It's not their skin tone. Other races (including whites) are excluded from illegal immigration as well and can be fired upon if they fail to respond to officers. The Mexicans know that they are not allowed in illegally and that they run the risk of losing their lives if they do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have new people here, as long as they enter through a legal means. That goes for whites, browns, blacks, reds, blues, greens, purples, and indigos. I don't care about their race, they can all follow the rules.
me2labs wrote:
Even if they are used to shoot Mexicans, so what?

Because that is just wrong, not to mention illegal. If they actually used predator drones to shoot at Mexicans, the US would get gang banged by the rest of the world. It blatantly violates the Geneva Convetion, which the US has adopted (meaning it would violate US policies as well as international ones). It also violates the US's rules of engagement.

Not to mention the political backlash from that would be immense.

But ignoring all that, its disgustingly wrong. Its government sanctioned murder of innocent people, pure and simple.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Isn't USA official language English only?

This country doesn't have an official language. English is the de facto language.
Fascinating, I wasn't aware it wasn't official. Confirmation from Wikipedia:

Quote:
^ b. English is the de facto language of American government and the sole language spoken at home by 80% of Americans age five and older. Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language.
The fact that we use De Facto instead of Default is proof in and of itself of how much English we don't speak...
DShiznit wrote:
The fact that we use De Facto instead of Default is proof in and of itself of how much English we don't speak...

No, de facto is the proper term because in a law setting it means "in practice or actuality, but without being officially established", wheras default means "failure to do something required by law".
Right, but it comes from another language, and translates literally to "Default" even if the legal meaning we've adopted for it is different.
DShiznit wrote:
Right, but it comes from another language, and translates literally to "Default" even if the legal meaning we've adopted for it is different.

Clearly your vocabulary is lacking, as a *ton* of "English" words are from foreign languages.
English is a vacuum of just about every western language smashed together....
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Clearly your vocabulary is lacking, as a *ton* of "English" words are from foreign languages.
Not to be pedantic, but did Kllrnohj really just misuse your/you're?
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

That appears to be the situation...
Lucas W wrote:
English is a vacuum of just about every western language smashed together....

No, the significant influences are Germanic (Anglo-Saxon) grammar+vocabulary and Latin (Gallo-Romano) vocabulary. There are smatterings of words from other sources but those are the significant contributors.

Also, the idea of a vacuum of things smashed together doesn't really make sense.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Uh, no?

Wink
My point was our own language already makes use of words from other languages; we're already influenced by these other cultures...
No, apparently only German and Latin.
The lack of intelligence in this thread is astounding.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours