So, in the process of redesigning the editor staff's GUI elfprince had the idea of asking the community for suggestions on redesigning some or all aspects of the GUIs. We would like to know what GUIs you would like to see redone, your suggestions of how they should be done, and any diagrams or, perhaps, actual recoding of the GUIs.
We are looking to make all the cluttered and hacky TBM GUIs cleaner and more straight forward, and there's nobody better to ask for help than the people who use those GUIs every day. So, let us have it! We'll do our best!

Crossposted on TheOrangeBlock.org: http://theorangeblock.org/forum/2-general-chat/17286-looking-for-suggestions-or-redesigns-of-the-guis.html#17286
I've always wanted a more attractive, intuitive block interface. Here's what I'm imagining. I liked the TBM idea of a row of 5 or 10 slots at the bottom of the users screen, but text describing the type of block currently active in each slot is pretty awkward. I don't like having to shoot a prototype block and then scroll around to figure out where what I want is. My idea is semitransparent grayscale renders of each of the blocks directly above each of the 5 or 10 slots; select a slot and scroll to change the block active in that slot, as always, but the pre-rendered image will change too. As I'm typing this I think it might have been used in something else or rendered in someone else's idea, but either way I think it would be good.
That sounds like an excellent idea. That was similar to the plan prior to elfprince's redesign. We were going to have a Gmod-esque selection system where you get brick previews in catagories, and choose the brick(s) you want.
KermMartian wrote:
I've always wanted a more attractive, intuitive block interface. Here's what I'm imagining. I liked the TBM idea of a row of 5 or 10 slots at the bottom of the users screen, but text describing the type of block currently active in each slot is pretty awkward. I don't like having to shoot a prototype block and then scroll around to figure out where what I want is. My idea is semitransparent grayscale renders of each of the blocks directly above each of the 5 or 10 slots; select a slot and scroll to change the block active in that slot, as always, but the pre-rendered image will change too. As I'm typing this I think it might have been used in something else or rendered in someone else's idea, but either way I think it would be good.

Could you make a mockup of this?

DShiznit wrote:
try putting the brick preview to the right of the inventory, with the option of using it as a PIP for cameras, like in any RTS game.

Putting it to the right borks the aspect ratio.
Maybe some kind of popup window that shows the brick above a slot?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours