By popular demand, I'm posting up my first completed and partially-edited draft of my Master's thesis, a partial requirement for the degree of Master of Electrical Engineering. Clocking in at 146 pages, it covers roughly twelve months on my project: Applications of Convolutional Neural Networks to Facial Detection and Recognition for Augmented Reality and Wearable Computing. Feel free to peruse it, and I'd appreciate any thoughts or typos you think of or see, respectively.

Applications of Convolutional Neural Networks to Facial Detection and Recognition for Augmented Reality and Wearable Computing

My first impression is that your table of contents should not tell the reader which page the table of contents is on, seeing as they seem to have found it just fine on their own.
SirCmpwn wrote:
My first impression is that your table of contents should not tell the reader which page the table of contents is on, seeing as they seem to have found it just fine on their own.
Thanks. Smile I thought so too, but the style dictated by the school insists upon it. :/

Also, I uploaded an edited version with lots of grammatical and spelling errors repaired.
tl;dr
Wow, that's a long title. Pretty good though! Do you have any plans to go further and get a doctorate?
Kllrnohj wrote:
tl;dr
You didn't at least look at the pictures? Razz

xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Wow, that's a long title. Pretty good though! Do you have any plans to go further and get a doctorate?
Yes indeed, I'll be starting on my PhD this fall.
Good luck on your dissertation then.
Reading the shout-outs was rather excellent.

Also, "lightining," on page 22 of 145 should presumably be lightening (or lightning, though that doesn't make sense contextually). I'll throw any more spellchecks your way as I go.

[edit]

Quote:
To perform useful facial detection, the detector program (informally termed “Scouter”
in reference to a Japanese TV show) must be capable of detecting a face of any size.

Win.
KermMartian wrote:

You're doing it wrong. It's supposed to look like this:
Use
Code:
\usepackage{times}
. The default LaTeX font isn't as good.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Use
Code:
\usepackage{times}
. The default LaTeX font isn't as good.
'
No, no, no, no, not times. Use one of the Bitstream Vera fonts. (or for LaTeX, Bera)
Why not times? It's looked good whenever I've used it.
which of these looks better to you? (be sure to look for aliasing ^_^)

I should mention that strictly speaking, the second is DejaVu Serif, and not BitStream Vera Serif, but DejaVu is an expansion of Bitstream Vera with support for additional glyphs and symbols, so afaik, latin characters should look the same.
WOW, I didn't even understand the title. Does it basically mean you wear things over your eyes and you can make reality bigger?
Btw, I know thats a MASSIVE oversimplification, but its the best I could do. Smile
NormalKid wrote:
WOW, I didn't even understand the title. Does it basically mean you wear things over your eyes and you can make reality bigger?
Btw, I know thats a MASSIVE oversimplification, but its the best I could do. Smile
Take a look in the PDF. It is things you wear over your eyes, but it adds extra information on top of reality, not makes it bigger. Smile My particular application was overlaying information about people based on face detection and recognition, but you could do many things with the technology.

Edit: to the font people, I gave the Bera family a try, and they looked nice, but I'm afraid there were too many problems with text styling (like bold) disappearing for me to keep it for the long run.

Edit #2: Finished a second draft, completely proofread. I still want to change three images, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. The new draft is uploaded; thanks to all the people who have given me feedback so far. I added a salute to Cemetech members in the Acknowledgements. Smile

Edit #3: Full copy handed in to Dean's Office, so from now on I can just make minor spelling and grammar-type changes. My defense is scheduled for 5:30pm on Monday, May 3rd, 2010, at the Cooper Union.
How did it go Question Very Happy
Rhombus P. wrote:
How did it go Question Very Happy
Most excellently, thanks for asking. I'd say about 25-30 people showed up, the presentation took about 55 minutes, and there were maybe 15 minutes of questions afterward. Lots of people came up to try out the system, too.
Does this mean you are now a Master of Engineering?
elfprince13 wrote:
Does this mean you are now a Master of Engineering?
Nope, gotta hand in five copies (x148 pages = 740 sheet) of the thesis printed on 20% rag 20lb bond paper and signed by my advisor by Thursday, along with a big fat check for binding and microfilming on the order of $350, then pass two final exams and present one project, then graduate in 22 days. _Then_ I will have my ME in EE. Smile
woot.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours