Braid is by far my favorite game out of the bundle so far, second place going to VVVVVV, with spaceChem as a close 3rd.
The latest bundle is Steam/Windows only. I think I'm gonna pass (though I've order 10 bundles from Humble/Wolfire so far). I'm a little disappointed.
Are you freaking kidding me!? This has to be the best bundle yet! These are AAA titles they're offering! Just because it only supports real computers doesn't mean it's a bad bundle Razz

The only question in my mind is do I order now and get a low price, or wait to see if they add anything(DLCs, etc.) as they get closer to the deadline.
But from these guys, it just feels like selling out.
elfprince13 wrote:
But from these guys, it just feels like selling out.

To offer a dissenting opinion, I think THQ is doing an incredible thing putting their AAA titles up for essentially nothing in order to raise money for a charity. Due to the sheer value and name recognition of the games, I suspect this will be this group's most successful bundle yet.

And as far as I know, none of these games come with any DRM beyond the steam registration anyway(and most people agree Steam is a reasonable and hassle-free way to manage digital rights).
That's fair enough.
Steam is as convenient as DRM gets. Not only do you get convenient updates and game management, but it actually allows you to run games on multiple systems (albeit not at the same time, but that's just complying with the EULA anyway)

Still no ability to get secondhand games, but steam's sales pretty much always make up the difference.

However, I won't be buying this humble bundle, reason being I run only Linux.

Also, since when is THQ indie?
DShiznit wrote:
Are you freaking kidding me!? This has to be the best bundle yet! These are AAA titles they're offering! Just because it only supports real computers doesn't mean it's a bad bundle Razz

The only question in my mind is do I order now and get a low price, or wait to see if they add anything(DLCs, etc.) as they get closer to the deadline.

I believe it works out that if you pay more than the average price at time of purchase, you get those bonuses. But like I started, I believe.
I seriously hope that this is not a prelude to what might come in the future (read: totally commercial humble bundles sponsored by big game companies and almost no more place for indie games).
@comic, yes, that is how it works. You don't lose the 'above average' bonus just because the average rises.
DJ_O wrote:
I seriously hope that this is not a prelude to what might come in the future (read: totally commercial humble bundles sponsored by big game companies and almost no more place for indie games).

As long as it isn't to the exclusion of indie games, I have no problem with big game companies partnering with this group for the benefit of charity.
I personally prefer BitTorrent a thousand times more than direct downloading since you get double the download speeds and you can pause the download at any time, prioritize files so you download the most important first and you never get corrupted files. I donate 10 bucks for it if i could download it in a torrent.
Tom wrote:
I personally prefer BitTorrent a thousand times more than direct downloading since you get double the download speeds and you can pause the download at any time, prioritize files so you download the most important first and you never get corrupted files. I donate 10 bucks for it if i could download it in a torrent.

i.e., as was the case with every preceding Humble Bundle.
Well, not EVERY one. They added it a few bundles in. Did they give the older bundles torrent links as well?
I was pretty sure they did since they ended up including the older bundles as bonuses in the later ones.
Seems these Humble Bundles are getting really popular. Three if my friends just pressured me into getting one, thoug I haven't even downloaded it yet Razz
elfprince13 wrote:
I was pretty sure they did since they ended up including the older bundles as bonuses in the later ones.
They also now have a beta "Your Bundle Account" feature where you can have all of your bundle purchases on one page, which also has torrent download links.
They can't torrent these because they're steam-only, a side-effect of their commercial nature. While I like my torrents, it's understandable commercial games wouldn't be distributed in that manner. At the end of the day, they're still making craploads of money for charity. As long as at the majority of the bundles are still indie, I'm ok with them partnering with whatever commercial interests they can.
DShiznit, I agree 100%. That is why I don't get people who are upset about the low average price as well as people who don't pay more even if there is only one or two games they are interested in. The money is partially going to charity, and you can even set it to give all money to charity.

If the publisher is expecting to make lots of money off of this then they are doing it for the same reasons. But at the same time, if the consumers are paying less because they don't feel the games are worth it they are missing half the point as well.
Not exactly Humble Bundle, but relevant: THQ are giving away Metro 2033 keys (registers on Steam) in exchange for Facebook 'like's. I like the environment and the game as a whole is quite pretty, though it has some flaws (like rather clunky shooting at times). Certainly worth picking up for free, though (and the upcoming sequel is showing promise, too).

https://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame?sk=app_395840630491782

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours