I'm happy to announce that development of Doors CS 7, my backend refresh of the popular Doors CS shell for TI-83+ and TI-84+ series calculators, is gaining momentum. Over the past few weeks I've been re-familiarizing myself with Doors CS' ginormous z80 ASM codebase, and consolidating, upgrading, and optimizing existing segments of code to make room for the many new planned features. Among the most widely-requested features are built-in XLib and Celtic III support, NoShell-style execution of programs from the homescreen, and folder backups to save time spent recreating folders after a RAM clear.

Amidst the optimization work I've been doing, which freed up 2KB on the first page of the Doors CS 7 app, I temporarily broke and refixed the Shell Extension (SE) system, similar to modules in other shells. After doing so, I tested and verified correct functionality with one of the two canonical Doors CS SEs, PwdSE, that provides rudimentary password protection to Doors CS programs and files. The other canonical SE, TabFuncSE, which adds the equivalent of [Tab] and [Shift][Tab] support to mollify users who oppose a mouse-cursor-based interface, will now be fully integrated into Doors CS 7. You can download PwdSE v2.0 below, and use it with any version of Doors CS from 6.1 upwards, including 6.2 and (eventually) 7.0 and higher.

I welcome any and all suggestions, comments, and criticisms on Doors CS, and will especially need beta testers for incremental versions released between now and 7.0. I realize that my oft-criticized signature states that 28 hours from now Doors CS 7.0 will be released, but obviously that's not very realistic. As soon as I come up with a reliable roadmap for development, taking into account my Masters in Engineering graduation this May and thesis defense on May 3rd, I'll try to update my signature with more dependable dates. Feel free to check out this topic for lots more development screenshots.

Download
Password Protection SE v2.0

YAY DCS7 progress! Can't wait for it to be done so we can use it Very Happy

btw, is there any chance we can have the password protect program implemented in DCS7, without the SE? Also will there be an easier to use SDK so we can make our own DCS programs/SEs?
_player1537 wrote:

btw, is there any chance we can have the password protect program implemented in DCS7, without the SE? Also will there be an easier to use SDK so we can make our own DCS programs/SEs?

There are plenty of z80 oriented SDKs on the block (though revsoft is down, so that makes it hard to get to any of them...), and the DoorsCS API has been public for ages, both for SEs and regular programs.
Oh goodie!!!

When it comes out I will test it on my nspire ti-84 mode cause it seems to me I am one of the few here with a nspire.
elfprince13 wrote:
_player1537 wrote:

There are plenty of z80 oriented SDKs on the block (though revsoft is down, so that makes it hard to get to any of them...), and the DoorsCS API has been public for ages, both for SEs and regular programs.

Was talking about that on #omnimaga last night, can anyone get a hold of some revsoft staff? I have plenty of space and bandwidth to donate to them if they like.

As to DCS, awesome that you are able to finally get some work done on this. What is the chance of seeing the entire source code of the latest DCS?
tifreak8x wrote:
Was talking about that on #omnimaga last night, can anyone get a hold of some revsoft staff? I have plenty of space and bandwidth to donate to them if they like.

Madskillz is on UTI a bit, and made a comment about it there.

I was friends with Spencer on Facebook, but it looks like he deleted me from his list. calc84maniac is still on his list though, and could ask some prying questions.
Alright! I'm pretty pumped for some progress.
in regards to the SDK: I mean the last time I tried to use the .inc file, I could never really get it to work and gave up on it. I might try ZDS to compile it soon, but idk.
asm8x doesn't like ".equ" replace them with '='
yes! i am sooo happy that there really will be a DCS7
everything looks nice so far!
i was just wondering... will there be support for folder saving? Question
also, I noticed in DCS6 that when I had a ram clear (calcutil+edit) that when it ramcleared I lost my program, does DCS copy the program from the archive to the ram, but without "unarchiving" it. Ie does it just copy it, not move it.
schoolhacker wrote:
i was just wondering... will there be support for folder saving?

this has been disscussed previously and i believe that the last
thing we said was no since it is irrelevent and doesn't particularily
do anything.
schoolhacker wrote:
Quote:
folder backups to save time spent recreating folders after a RAM clear.
Is this what you mean? To have your folders be intact after a RAM Clear?

You may have to perform a DCS Restore after such event, but it sounds like folders will be saved in one way or another.
comicIDIOT wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:
Quote:

You may have to perform a DCS Restore after such event, but it sounds like folders will be saved in one way or another.
Folder backup will absolutely be implemented.

Gotta run to work, will talk about this more later, but TABFUNCS!

Edit, one day later: Folder saving routines in progress. Routine to figure out how much memory is needed for the fldsv7 appvar complete but untested. Memory usage:

Code:
Page 0 is 14635 bytes long (1749 bytes to spare)
Page 1 is 16193 bytes long (191 bytes to spare)
Page 2 is 1572 bytes long (14812 bytes to spare)
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:
Quote:

Folder backup will absolutely be implemented.

Gotta run to work, will talk about this more later, but TABFUNCS!

Edit, one day later: Folder saving routines in progress. Routine to figure out how much memory is needed for the fldsv7 appvar complete but untested. Memory usage:

Code:
Page 0 is 14635 bytes long (1749 bytes to spare)

wow! thank you sooo much!
that looks really cool actually! Exclamation
schoolhacker wrote:
wow! thank you sooo much!
that looks really cool actually! Exclamation
My pleasure. Smile OK, so I continued working on this all afternoon, and now the AppVar is created and properly populated with folder and file information. Hopefully it's optimized enough. Final memory usage after this is as shown below (these are mostly for my reference, btw, you can all safely ignore them if you wish). Next I need to add detection of crash conditions and triggering of restoration of folders, as well as the actual restoration process.

Code:
Page 0 is 14801 bytes long (1583 bytes to spare)

Also, 1583 bytes to spare on Page 0 means it took me about 300 bytes, more or less, to construct the folder saving routine.
What happens if you try to open a blank slot that's been tab selected?
elfprince13 wrote:
Exactly the same thing that would happen had you instead clicked on it: nothing. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Exactly the same thing that would happen had you instead clicked on it: nothing. Smile

Good stuff Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Good stuff Smile

man.. i am soo happy that this is happening! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours