its easy to get a command promt. Just boot up like normal. Whenever you want a command promt (either loged into gnome or not, it doesn't matter) just hit F1-F6 to get a new "session". Just log into that session, and it will be a command prompt (note: F7 is the X-session, so just hit F7 to jump back to the GUI interface, be it gnome, KDE, whatever)

I've had a few stability probs with Ubuntu on friends comps, so i'm a little leary of the distro now (3 w000ts for gentoo!)

to get root user on ubuntu is easy. log into your normal account, then just do "sudo passwd", (it might promt for a password, enter your account password) , then it will say "new UNIX password:", and enter a password, then "su root" and enter in the pass you just created. (without doing this, you can't get to a root account since it is "disabled" by ubuntu, and normally you have to use "sudo" for anything wanting root rights)

the lock screen uses a screensaver program (don't remember the name, something like XScreenSaver), so if that failed to instal, that could be the problem.

If you can get access to someone else's internet for a couple hours (like at a friends house or something), i highly recommend downloading Gentoo (all compiled, a bitch to install, but well worth it in the end - NOT FOR NEWBS!), or the "real" debian (the first two CD's are enough) I've used both, loved both, and haven't had problems (that i didn't cause anyway) with either
I got it to work, I reinstalled the entire gnome package and ubuntu-desktop. (I think gnome was the problem. I also found out that the time it froze on "lock screen" was because it was set on random screen saver and there are a few that will eat up 100% of a Pentum 2 320mhz's cpu and not display anything. Why would they make screensavers that have higher requirements than all the rest of the programs that came with the operating system? (Sure they might look nice, but is it neccesary?)

I'm not sure how I got past the read-only filesystem on recovery mode.
Also, one of my friends had problems running ubuntu with a compac video card, it had a wierd wrap around effect and mangled text.

Anyone know how I would go about setting up my modem for use in linux?
Excellent that you got it to work. No idea about the modem though. Sad
I just hope that it stays working. Smile
Indeed. And now you know to scale back your screensavers. Smile
hehe...turn off the 3d screensavers then (its in the XScreenSaver control panel, where that is, i'm not sure), that should help tons

you could manually re-mount the drives w/ read-write in recovery mode, but why? just switch to a command promt after booting normally using F1-F6 (i messed up, its ALT-Fkey, not just the Fkey, heh, my bad)
Urk, that remounting manually doesn't sound fun. Sad
its not too hard (never tried non-root drives tho...that could be harder)

"umount /mnt/otherdrive"
"mount /mnt/otherdrive" //assuming the FSTAB file is still set up correctly (which it SHOULD be)

for root drive, i don't think it will work, but you can try editing the GRUB menu entry, and seeing if it has anything about read only (if your GUI is borked, you'd have to use a command-line editor, i like nano, but vi or vim are supposed to be good also - nano is the easiest tho)
/me slaps /me
Oh duh, I've done that tons of times. Yay for samba fileservers Smile
lol, Kerm, just stick to z80, comps just aren't your thing Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
hehe...turn off the 3d screensavers then (its in the XScreenSaver control panel, where that is, i'm not sure), that should help tons

Odd, not all the 3d savers do this... Some of the more detailed 3d ones take less cpu than the simple 3d ones! (I disabled all the ones that do)

Kllrnohj wrote:
"umount /mnt/otherdrive"
"mount /mnt/otherdrive" //assuming the FSTAB file is still set up correctly (which it SHOULD be)

There is a command that is both of those.
It's something like: mount <something> remount,rw /
Thats as close as I can remember. (I think I got it slightly wrong.)

I thought I had killed it again, but it was because I was in gnome while recovery mode was on. I couldn't access any administrator options they just auto closed.

Anyone know how to get your internet password without contacting your Isp?
Bombu wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

Odd, not all the 3d savers do this... Some of the more detailed 3d ones take less cpu than the simple 3d ones! (I disabled all the ones that do)

That's just bad coding then.
not necessarily, some of the less-intesive-LOOKING ones can be more intensive because they are more advanced simulations of random things. eg, 3d pipes can be more intensive than the 3d maze, because the maze just picks a random num at each intersection, and then your vid card takes over, whereas 3d pipes has to continually do random calculations and such to keep it cool looking. Get it?
Ah, quite true, quite true.
Bombu wrote:

Anyone know?
Bombu wrote:
Bombu wrote:

Anyone know?

hack your ISP, but thats illegal. Other than that, its impossible. The password isn't stored on your comp, but on THEIR servers. Contacting them is the only real option
I've seen programs that are supposed to be able to decode password boxes. (I am afraid that they may be spyware/viruses though)

The password is saved, my internet autodials when I click connect. (I just need it for the other computer)

I guess I could talk to my Isp, but I really don't want to. Smile
Wait, it's stored on one of your computers? Like in the autologin box with the asterisks in the password box?

I've missed a lot of this conversation...Very Happy
Wait, so probably your parents know the pwd then, right? Why not just ask them??
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Wait, it's stored on one of your computers? Like in the autologin box with the asterisks in the password box?

Yes it is.

Kerm Martian wrote:
Wait, so probably your parents know the pwd then, right? Why not just ask them??

It's been so long since they had to enter it that they've forgotten.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours