Kllrnohj wrote:
so wait a minute...you're trying to fix a P2 when a brand new amd-64 3000 system w/ a 6600 256mb video card is under $500????

jeesus, let the poor thing die in peace, lmao

I dont have that kind of money. I think I have about $20 right now. Sad

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Did you replace the mobo of the dead comp? That usually does it...btw, do you still have the old comp?

Yeah, but its not really worth fixing. It was an intel p2 celeron, I believe and it never realy was any good. It's onboard video didn't have that much for memory, so I couldn't play any really good games.

BTW, does anyone know of a good file recovery program? I need one that will actually rebuild dir names and such. Most that I find are usually pretty good but always have some major flaw, i.e. you have to manually save each file, cant get dir names right (when other programs can).

EDIT: Also, would anyone know what the stuff in the repair directory in XP pro does? It has stuff for a bootdisk , but not all the files will fit on a disk.

I was wondering if I could use it on my xp pro hard drive to bring it back. The partition table is damaged and windows files are missing. I am currently trying to find recovery programs to use on it. I also need a program to merge partitions. My stupid 98 hd didn't recover right and made 2 partitions on it, each with half of the files of the original partition. Mad
Bombu wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
so wait a minute...you're trying to fix a P2 when a brand new amd-64 3000 system w/ a 6600 256mb video card is under $500????

jeesus, let the poor thing die in peace, lmao

I dont have that kind of money. I think I have about $20 right now. Sad

yeah, i guess that could be a problem, but just think, an older AXP system w/ cheap-o AGP card will be even cheaper!! Laughing
Quote:
BTW, does anyone know of a good file recovery program? I need one that will actually rebuild dir names and such. Most that I find are usually pretty good but always have some major flaw, i.e. you have to manually save each file, cant get dir names right (when other programs can).

Well, there is one called Virtual Lab...but it's kinda pricey. As for a free legal alternative, if you find one I would LOVE to know where it is.
You could try Pc Inspector: File Recovery. It seems really good and it is completely free.

I don't need a file recovery program anymore, my friend found the xp disks for my computer and will give them to me on monday. I still need a partition merger though.

Hopefully, FIC will eventually get back to me about that mother board.
i've only ever used one partition "merger", but its not free. Its Partition Magic, and its great

I'll bet you can find some free FAT32 ones tho (free NTFS is out of the question, lol)
Yeah; you can't really do anything with NTFS partitions besides read and write to them using free software; you can't really resize partitions or anything Sad Besides, it's very dangerous to resize partitions if you have a lot of used space...
Gar, yeah, don't do that manually... Smile
well, one way to increase the size of the NTFS partition is make it a dynamic disk, (only Windows 2000 and XP, if other Windows, you will not be able to boot to them if they exist on that drive, not sure on Linux), you can resize a partition, though now it is called a volume. You can only extend NTFS though, the only thing is that you can't shrink and you c't go back to BASIC, which is what most computers use.
Yeah, I don't know if I recommend that though...
It is a way, I was just offering.
Very true. Info can never hurt.
Sorry I missed a few of these last posts. Either I was on holidays at the time or more likely my brain took a holiday . Smile
---
I got the computer to work, not with the power switch style I wanted, since FIC decided to ignore my email (I know that they recieved it, the autoresponder confirmed it).

But I killed my Win98 6 gig drive (I lost all my data due to my own stuidity). I got the partition to the right size but windows will only format it as a 3 gig Mad (Can someone help me with this?).
Also, if anyone knows of a program that will extract Hp's image format(s) can they tell me where to get it. My only win98 cd works only with Hp computers (even though it has the exact same files as normal win98).
---
I no longer have that computer (blew out when it was plugged in one time), I find that a strange coincidence that nothing of ours that is Hp works but the monitor. I have 2 Hp printers that do not work, one ust spits out paper until it is empty and the other one refuses to print anything but black, even with perfectly good cartridges. My old teacher even had an Hp cd-writer that ate 1/3 cds burned in it. Makes me think they make high quality products. Wow, that was a bit offtopic...
Yeah, I've always had good luck with HP products, but I've heard other people who refuse to buy HP stuff anymore.
Bombu wrote:
But I killed my Win98 6 gig drive (I lost all my data due to my own stupidity). I got the partition to the right size but windows will only format it as a 3 gig Mad (Can someone help me with this?).
Also, if anyone knows of a program that will extract Hp's image format(s) can they tell me where to get it. My only win98 cd works only with Hp computers (even though it has the exact same files as normal win98).

Can anyone point me to a program like this?

Also, anyone know why windows won't allow me to format my drive correctly?

It's partitioned as a 6 gig like it should be.

I was using my old hp's hard drive to try to format it. My other win98 hd did this with my other 6 gig drive too, so its not the os on the hard drive doing it, its something with windows since it does this with win95 and win98 and it may be something with this brand of drives. (all my 6 gig drives are Maxtor brand, but my Dad has a Seagate drive that windows/dos won't partition for the right size, so it has 3 separate partitions on it, each 2 gigs in size)
no clue why it won't see all 6 gig, could be a mobo bios problem tho
Hmm, could it really? I've never heard of BIOS causing such a problem before...
are you using FAT or FAT32 for your file system? You should go FAT32. (of course, you should really go 2K or XP and use NTFS)
Well, you should really just stop using windows altogether...Very Happy

Quote:
It's partitioned as a 6 gig like it should be.

Try fully erasing the disk (write zeros to all sectors of the disk), and then try reformatting it.

Quote:
But I killed my Win98 6 gig drive (I lost all my data due to my own stupidity). I got the partition to the right size but windows will only format it as a 3 gig Mad (Can someone help me with this?).

Can you post the file heirarchy of your disk here?
KermMartian wrote:
Hmm, could it really? I've never heard of BIOS causing such a problem before...

mobo's control initial reading to the hdd. If the mobo doesn't support large disks and such, it could limit it (i believe the common barriers are 2gb, ~30something gb, and ~120gb) my dad's dell is stuck at a max of 15-20gb, and has to use a "wrapper" provided by western digital to allow his comp to use all 80gb (this is a yr. 2001 P3 dell that came with winXP - not some old shit)
Laughing That's odd...now why would a mobo manufacturer do that?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours