@ult dev: not neccessarily, SBC Yahoo! DSL uses a DSL modem that you have to connect to the ISP every time you start up your comp (windows treats it like a "dial up" connection setup, even though its DSL via ethernet) - and its NOT internal. That connection is NOT for mail and such, but for the "internet" itself
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
@Bombu: You have DSL right? Then you should really only need drivers for your ethernet card...unless you have an internal DSL modem or something.

I have dialup (56k).
Bombu wrote:
I have dialup (56k).

there's your problem right there Laughing
holy cow, i used dial-up yesterday at my dad's new office (his T1 line isn't hooked up yet Rolling Eyes ), and lordy is it SLOW. I forgot what it was like to spend literally 5 minutes waiting for a wallpaper to display! even the slim google took forever!!!

I don't know how you can live with dial-up man...
Very Happy Dialup. Psh. Try using a 9600baud modem with telnet83. Wink
I am hopefully going to get dsl sometime in the future. (My mom would let us get it but my dad probably won't.)
Bombu wrote:
I am hopefully going to get dsl sometime in the future. (My mom would let us get it but my dad probably won't.)

funny, same thing happened to me. My mom was for it (so she could talk on the phone Laughing ), but my dad was against it (then he discovered launch.com and found out he could stream his country music vids. All the sudden, BAM, not only did we have DSL, but HE was the one uses most of the bandwidth!)
Laughing Nice.
yeah, streaming music rocks, as long as you are in Windows usning IE, places like that don't like firefox, let alone Linux
I usually stream my radio stations through Winmediaplayer
rivereye wrote:
yeah, streaming music rocks, as long as you are in Windows usning IE, places like that don't like firefox, let alone Linux

FireFox works just fine with streaming media (its actually even better than IE if you use FF in Linux w/ the mplayerplug-in). Use a user-agent switcher for sites that "pre-block" non-IE browsers (lazy mofo's), and something like the Play Launch extension for FF for launch.com music videos.

OR you can use Opera, which supports the ActiveX controls that the sites so often employ

OR you can use an ActiveX plugin for FF that allows only media ActiveX controls.
Quote:
@ult dev: not neccessarily, SBC Yahoo! DSL uses a DSL modem that you have to connect to the ISP every time you start up your comp (windows treats it like a "dial up" connection setup, even though its DSL via ethernet) - and its NOT internal. That connection is NOT for mail and such, but for the "internet" itself

Umm, yes, there ARE such things as internal DSL modems...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6817012532&category=14926&refid=store

Also, I've seen some mobo's that had then on those riser cards (the weird slot on the bottom of older motherboards)
dude, i never said there WEREN'T internal DSL modems, i said some EXTERNAL ones also require logins Rolling Eyes
lol. I happen to like FoxyTunes...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours