Version 5 of my antivirus software for the TI-83+ or compatible is underway. Features will include this:
( Anything in red means that I am asking an assembly programmer to please help.)

1. A single installer program uses Celtic3 to create the actual antivirus software. No more keeping track of multiple program files or groups (except Celtic3). Upon installation, the installer script will be automatically archived in the event of a crash.

2. Virus definitions stored as a program, not a string, stored in archive, and accessed through Celtic3, line by line.

3. Addition of new program names to the virus definitions manually will be supported.

4. Option to delete will be given, as opposed to Version 4, where a matching program is deleted without you being told.

5. Firewall (asm subroutine) that intercepts incoming silent-linked programs and stores their names to some variable. Then, it will compare the name to the contents of the virus definitions file and give you the reject option if a matching entry is found.
srsly, people really write viruses for calculators?
DShiznit wrote:
srsly, people really write viruses for calculators?
At the worst they reset ram, use up a bunch of ram in a poorly coded loop or lock up the calculator so you have to take out the batteries. At least, that's in BASIC.
That about sums it up without going into 'higher' programming
There are viruses out there. Most of them are pranks, though a select few of them are actually dangerous. My virus definitions file will include all types of viruses--pranks, real, ect.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone want to have a look at the prior version. I do have it uploaded to MediaFire.
I don't know of any calculator "virii" that are actually dangerous. People have tossed around the concept of a hidden program that installs a silentlink hook to transfer itself to new programs, something BrandonW and I have discussed extensively in #cemetech, but then making it run on the recipient calculator is rather challenging.
There do exist working viruses, but not in the wild. The creator wasn't mean enough to unleash it upon the world.
You probably know more than I, but I don remember having seen one virus that can potentially corrupt the archive. Then there's Brendon's one to delete the OS certificate (which I really want to get my hands on). And there's the one that enters some test mode and overloads the screen. Other than that, pranks.
Will_W wrote:
There do exist working viruses, but not in the wild. The creator wasn't mean enough to unleash it upon the world.

I really want that certificate deleter of yours. *evil laugh*. I'll have some fun with my friends with it.
None of the people capable of making viruses are going to help you create them, or give them to you if you might release them into the wild. Check for a corrupted ION header.
I know. I got carried away. But that one is awesome. What about the corrupted ion header.
eh, 4/10.
Troll harder.
you get one on mine, and I'll take your head the next time I see you Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
There are viruses out there. Most of them are pranks, though a select few of them are actually dangerous. My virus definitions file will include all types of viruses--pranks, real, ect.
I don't know of any calculator "virii" that are actually dangerous.
*cough* Wink
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
*cough* Wink

This
TheStorm wrote:
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
*cough* Wink

This

Grammar Nazis Razz btw can our resident grammar nazi come out and play?
turquoisedragon wrote:
you get one on mine, and I'll take your head the next time I see you Very Happy

Yours will be the first I get a virus on, Mike. lol. jk.
This has just gotten stupid. It's overridden by trolls, and the TI-83+ isn't even an effective host for viruses in the first place.
It has. But I still want to do the project. In case someone does make a virus and is evil enough to release it, I will just need to update my definitions file and everyone is safe.
ACagliano wrote:
It has. But I still want to do the project. In case someone does make a virus and is evil enough to release it, I will just need to update my definitions file and everyone is safe.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours