» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriweb wrote:
Alex wrote:
Those are some great photos adriweb. How’d you like your California visit?

Thanks !

The Death Valley trip was definitely fun, lots of stunning places there.

The rest was in France, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Indonesia (Bali), Vietnam (Da Nang).

Those pictures are really cool! How did you like shooting on an iPhone?
It's definitely nice and fun, especially with Portrait mode, it really does take stunning photos...
I'd provide some example of photos with people, but first I'd need to ask them if they're ok with them being on the internet just like that lol - oh well, there are many examples here and there already.

I got lucky when taking photos of the monkeys in Indonesia and Vietnam though, and they turned out better than I expected.
Adriweb wrote:
It's definitely nice and fun, especially with Portrait mode, it really does take stunning photos...
I'd provide some example of photos with people, but first I'd need to ask them if they're ok with them being on the internet just like that 0x5 - oh well, there are many examples here and there already.

I got lucky when taking photos of the monkeys in Indonesia and Vietnam though, and they turned out better than I expected.

Cool! I got an iPhone SE for Christmas this past year and have been playing around with it for photography. I've tried taking portraits in normal mode (I don't think it has Portrait mode, but I'll have to check). How did you get the shallow depth of field on some of those photos?
RogerWilco wrote:
How did you get the shallow depth of field on some of those photos?

Well that's exactly what Portrait mode does. On the iPhone Xs, you can even adjust it after taking the photo, it's pretty sweet.
More info: https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/cameras/
Adriweb wrote:
RogerWilco wrote:
How did you get the shallow depth of field on some of those photos?

Well that's exactly what Portrait mode does. On the iPhone Xs, you can even adjust it after taking the photo, it's pretty sweet.
More info: https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/cameras/

Nice! Now I want Portrait mode on my SE. Razz

Have you tried any third part camera apps to give you more control over the photo?
RogerWilco wrote:
Have you tried any third part camera apps to give you more control over the photo?

Yeah, I've used Camera+ for years now.
Adriweb wrote:
RogerWilco wrote:

Yeah, I've used Camera+ for years now.

How does it compare to the standard iOS camera app?
I use it mostly for post-processing when I want to create some effects or have more fine-grain tuning over specific stuff.

But I'll let you see the official page that will tell you more than me Razz http://camera.plus
Adriweb wrote:
I use it mostly for post-processing when I want to create some effects or have more fine-grain tuning over specific stuff.

But I'll let you see the official page that will tell you more than me Razz http://camera.plus

Ok, cool! Thanks Very Happy
One app I really enjoy for editing Portrait Mode Photos from iOS is Focos. You can see photo in 3D, paint in areas that shouldn't be the background, adjust the depth of field as well as how narrow or wide it is, add in lights to the 3D space and tons more.

That's pretty much the only app I use for editing portrait shots. Sometimes I'll take photos in Lightroom CC, for the RAW abilities, but most of the time I just use the default camera app. I did pick up a Moment case and a lens, the fisheye. Planning to pick up the Macro lens soon.

Alex wrote:
One app I really enjoy for editing Portrait Mode Photos from iOS is Focos. You can see photo in 3D, paint in areas that shouldn't be the background, adjust the depth of field as well as how narrow or wide it is, add in lights to the 3D space and tons more.

That's pretty much the only app I use for editing portrait shots. Sometimes I'll take photos in Lightroom CC, for the RAW abilities, but most of the time I just use the default camera app. I did pick up a Moment case and a lens, the fisheye. Planning to pick up the Macro lens soon.

[...]

Awesome! Thanks Very Happy
Someone over Discord asked me to post this here, so here's a deep, grey view of the desert.
Does it count if it isn't IRL?

Alex wrote:
Yeah Sad I won't be upgrading my telephoto, a 75-300mm, until I start doing more bird photography. I know you're only posting the good photos but do you have any issues focusing at 150mm?

I admittedly haven't shot any birds at 300mm but with my 2x extender, nailing the focus at 600mm is incredibly hard. My camera can't do it (it just searches for an edge, even on a contrasty background) so I have to do it manually. I also haven't used this lens since August 2017, and probably sat unused for years before that. It's a lens from 1999 and searching it just now brings up reviews with titles like "Is this the worst Canon lens ever made?" D:

Coupled with a cheap 2x converter, I'm probably not doing myself any favors but I manage to get some good shots with it (like the bird shots above)! I'll be posting some more bird shots soon though!

Dear lord do you ever stop talking about gear.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Alex wrote:
Yeah Sad I won't be upgrading my telephoto, a 75-300mm, until I start doing more bird photography. I know you're only posting the good photos but do you have any issues focusing at 150mm?

I admittedly haven't shot any birds at 300mm but with my 2x extender, nailing the focus at 600mm is incredibly hard. My camera can't do it (it just searches for an edge, even on a contrasty background) so I have to do it manually. I also haven't used this lens since August 2017, and probably sat unused for years before that. It's a lens from 1999 and searching it just now brings up reviews with titles like "Is this the worst Canon lens ever made?" D:

Coupled with a cheap 2x converter, I'm probably not doing myself any favors but I manage to get some good shots with it (like the bird shots above)! I'll be posting some more bird shots soon though!

What's wrong with talking about gear?
I'm sorry Sam but that's not photography that's just a video game Razz
RogerWilco wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Alex wrote:

It's all he does. Every post is either "I just bought a lens here are some pictures of it" or "this picture didn't turn out because I didn't have this lens yet." It's constant and a sign that something is really _really_ wrong with his technique.
allynfolksjr wrote:
RogerWilco wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Alex wrote:

It's all he does. Every post is either "I just bought a lens here are some pictures of it" or "this picture didn't turn out because I didn't have this lens yet." It's constant and a sign that something is really _really_ wrong with his technique.

If he wants to talk about gear let him talk about gear.
allynfolksjr wrote:

I agree with Michael. Honestly, I love talking about gear. I love the technical aspect of photography just as much as I love the artistic aspect because of how unique each person's setup is. It is almost like each person's setup shows a part of their personality that would otherwise not be shown.

I would say that while a photographer's technique is part of what makes a good photo, it is also partially the gear. For instance, you wouldn't use a telephoto lens to take a picture of a flower up close. I personally would like a really nice 50mm prime for my film camera because there are pictures I simply can't get using my 75-150 zoom lens.
Michael2_3B wrote:
I'm sorry Sam but that's not photography that's just a video game Razz
Well maybe, but it still takes plenty of skill to take a good photo in the game. There’s so many options in Photo mode and such a realistic engine that it may as well be an actual camera. Be a purist if you want, but I don’t see much reason to discount a virtual photo. It’s my lens and sensor and shutter settings, my camera position, and my car.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 37 of 44
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours