TINET, a way to connect your TI-84 Plus CE family calculators to the internet!

It started as a simple idea that came up in my mind after seeing gCn but being offline and not being updated in a long while..

I saw that and got the simple idea going through my mind saying "Remake that!!".

At first glance, I though I got no chance to make that from scratch, I never did C or ASM, never used the libraries in the toolchain, and never developed on the CE.

With this in my mind, I almost didn't even wanna start making this again from scratch, obviously.

But here it is! TINET, a project that I'm working on since October 2022.
The first working development release was today.

TIny_Hacker is very helpful in debugging network issues, and strange bytes issues that happened with the AppVars.
While talking about AppVars, a big thanks to the developers of TIVars_lib_PY who created the python library to create the AppVars on the server and return them to the users.

TINET is very straightforward, here are the steps to test the current development version:
1. go to https://tinet.tkbstudios.com and create an account
2. verify your email
3. reset your keyfile token (to generate a new one)
4. download your keyfile
5. download the Latest client
6. download the latest clibs
7. Put the clibs, calc client and keyfile on the calculator.
8. clone the bridge by doing `git clone https://github.com/tkbstudios/tinet-bridge`
9. go inside the tinet-bridge directory `cd tinet-bridge`
10. install pyserial for serial communication `pip3 install pyserial`
11. connect your calc to your host machine
12. Launch TINET program on your calc, if your username doesn't appear on screen, it's probably an issue, please communicate that by opening a new post on the forum in the Discord server
13. run `python3 tinet-bridge.py`
14. if you see on your calculator "Bridge Connected" and "Internet connected" it means you successfully did the above steps.
15. Press [enter] on your calculator, a lot should happen in the host machine's console.
16. If you switched screen to "TINET Dashboard" and see "connected as <username>", it means you've successfully connected to TINET!

Currently, TINET has some features on the web dashboard but most features aren't already implemented on the calc side and are going to be added.

We already added a friend list so you could ... (needs to stay secret for now!)

Upcoming breaking changes on calc client:
- Working dashboard with stats and features
- real time chat
- and the secret thing

TINET website
Discord Server

Repos:
tinet-bridge repo
tinet-calc repo

Any contribution, enhancements, issues, etc.. will be merged, added or fixed as soon as possible!
(Don't forget to clone the dev branches)

Thanks for reading all of this I know it's a lot but in 9 months there are a lot of things to explain, and a, almost a year I've been working on this Razz
Very cool, can't wait to see what calc-side stuff you come up with Smile.
Wow this is amazing I got some errors creating an account and my verify link didn't work. This is very impressive though, from the C, ASM, Python, and html on the website/emails. Very Impressed with how polished it is. You did amazing I cant wait to see applications that use this. Will other programs be able to use this or just the one program you made? If so I might try to code a proxy like gossamer to take the body and main text on a website and send it to the calc. Very Happy I'd be happy to host anything that you might need. From linux, websites, or python scripts. Let me know. Very Happy I'm very interested in the future of this.
Invalid_Jake wrote:
Wow this is amazing I got some errors creating an account and my verify link didn't work. This is very impressive though, from the C, ASM, Python, and html on the website/emails. Very Impressed with how polished it is. You did amazing I cant wait to see applications that use this. Will other programs be able to use this or just the one program you made? If so I might try to code a proxy like gossamer to take the body and main text on a website and send it to the calc. Very Happy I'd be happy to host anything that you might need. From linux, websites, or python scripts. Let me know. Very Happy I'm very interested in the future of this.

Could you please describe the issues you had in the discord server?
And yes, other people will be able to use it, it's on the agenda to create a C lib to use it.
The hosting is expected to be fine until we reach 50 concurrent users online, so there will be no issues but thanks to let me know! Razz
I could only get to part 8, cuz I don't know how to do any of that, I just like my calculator and thought this sounded cool to be honest.
Vexxity wrote:
I could only get to part 8, cuz I don't know how to do any of that, I just like my calculator and thought this sounded cool to be honest.

Soon this will be easier with a simple executable you could run Cool , you can still open the link and click the green download button instead of using the command. If you don't have python, you won't be able to use it Sad
I'm actively working on creating a simple .exe file you could run and it'll work flawlessly Very Happy
Quote:
it'll work flawlessly
"How hard could it be?"
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
it'll work flawlessly
"How hard could it be?"

As simple as plugging in an ESP8266 and press [enter] on the calc
The Python end of TINET isn't working: when I try to run the bridge, it says that there is no module named 'dotenv'. I tried installing it but it refused. I made sure to follow all the steps, and my calc recognizes the keyfile. What am I missing here?
jasper7474 wrote:
The Python end of TINET isn't working: when I try to run the bridge, it says that there is no module named 'dotenv'. I tried installing it but it refused. I made sure to follow all the steps, and my calc recognizes the keyfile. What am I missing here?

Please join the discord and put this in the #forum channel. Please try pip install -r requirements.txt
Please also make sure you are using the dev branch not the main. You can also install dotenv with pip install dotenv or pip3 install dotenv hope that helps.
i dont know how to get to the directory, could someone help? Confused
TKB_Studios wrote:
TINET, a way to connect your TI-84 Plus CE family calculators to the internet!

[size=18]
TINET is very straightforward, here are the steps to test the current development version:
1. go to https://tinet.tkbstudios.com and create an account
2. verify your email

The Verification says "invalid verify code"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours