elfprince13 wrote:
http://torrentfreak.com/judges-liken-a-to-the-ancient-practice-of-lending-books-100608/

Thoughts?

Why is "P2P" censored?
Objectively, information is public domain the moment it is released in any incarnation that can be reproduced and redistributed by some means. I think it's pointless to claim there is a certain moral or political responsibility to honor intellectual property rights. It's too subjective. Unless you're backed by some enforcible law, then you're wasting your time trying to enforce such rights by merely appealing to guilt, morality, etc.

Pirates don't allow themselves to be hindered by slavish morals. Yarr-harr!
I agree for the most part. I mean, intellectual copyright is what keeps inventors and artists from being ripped off, but at the same time, large powerful companies rape their customers with copyright, using it to decide what you are and are not allowed to do with what you purchased, and forcing intrusive and sometimes dangerous DRM down your throat. Really, it's a matter of individual ethics among pirates. Most will buy programs they enjoy, especially independent stuff, and support companies that treat their customers well, while trying to f*ck over those who try to force totalitarian DRM on us.
I've heard that view a lot lately from various people, that they have no problem pirating a game if they want to see how well it works on their machine and either don't want to try the demo or the game has no demo, then happily purchase a legitimate copy of the game if it works. I think that's a change from a few years ago, when I don't think people would consider buying a game they had just pirated, so I think this is something game companies should pay attention to when designing their business plans. Case in point: that pay-what-you-will game pack a few months back that was a smashing success.
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129162#129162
elfprince13 wrote:
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129162#129162
An excellent and relevant story indeed.
I wouldn't mind if everything was free and developers just asked for donations. I have no problem with giving more than the amount that they would ask for if it's decent software or a movie, but it's when I buy crapware and it doesn't do anything i wanted that i get really ticked off and wish i had just pirated it.
The piracy problem isnt really that bad, for every one pirate pirating a rated-m game for the pc, there are 20 parents buying it legitimately for their 5 year old to make them shut up. (source: IRL, trust me, I see it happen all the time)
anselmot wrote:
I wouldn't mind if everything was free and developers just asked for donations. I have no problem with giving more than the amount that they would ask for if it's decent software or a movie, but it's when I buy crapware and it doesn't do anything i wanted that i get really ticked off and wish i had just pirated it.

This is why most software is available as a demo version to be used as a trial.
anselmot wrote:
I wouldn't mind if everything was free and developers just asked for donations. I have no problem with giving more than the amount that they would ask for if it's decent software or a movie, but it's when I buy c***ware and it doesn't do anything i wanted that i get really ticked off and wish i had just pirated it.
That's ridiculously fallacious logic. If the software is terrible, then why would you want it, free or not? Your conclusion should be that "when I buy it and it doesn't do anything I wanted I wish I hadn't bought it," to which the logical conclusion would be to request a refund. Alternatively, you should just use free trials to evaluate such software, as Benryves said, and simply not buy it if it fails to impress you. And if the software doesn't have a free trial, then find a competitor that does.
Unfortunately, there wasn't a demo for Goldeneye 007 for the wii, so now I'm out $50. I wish I'd bought Lego Indiana Jones instead and just hacked it so I could run burned games.
I don't know if it's where i'm looking for software nowdays but a-lot of the stuff I wanted did not have a demo available and after you buy it and figure out it's horrible good luck getting your money back. My "ridiculously fallacious logic" is also how a-lot of open source programs work. If you like it donate if not then the developer needs to work harder.
If everything was free, the market would go down the drain because no one will make the donation due to human nature
DShiznit wrote:
Unfortunately, there wasn't a demo for Goldeneye 007 for the wii, so now I'm out $50.
Ouch, and they don't let you return it? Sad

anselmot wrote:
I don't know if it's where i'm looking for software nowdays but a-lot of the stuff I wanted did not have a demo available and after you buy it and figure out it's horrible good luck getting your money back. My "ridiculously fallacious logic" is also how a-lot of open source programs work. If you like it donate if not then the developer needs to work harder.
Yes, it's how many open-source programs work, because the coders do the work out of the goodness of their hearts. To claim "if not the developer needs to work harder" is laughably selfish of you. I've spent thousands upon thousands upon thousands of uncountable hours on forwarding the calculator community without seeing a single cent for my troubles, and people still give me a hard time on occasion. I do it because I love it, not because I expect monetary compensation. If someone treated me with the attitude you're displaying ("I don't like Doors CS enough yet, work harder!") I would just say a polite equivalent of "screw you" and turn to a community that would appreciate my hard work. Since no one here acts with such crass selfishness and disrespect, and give or take a few bad eggs the community works well together and gives recognition and respect to those who deserve it, everything continues to grind forward.
Quote:
I would just say a polite equivalent of "screw you" and turn to a community that would appreciate my hard work.

I, not being so gentleman-ey, would say sometihng 1000 times worse Wink

and Kerm, if I could make a donation, I would, but then my mom would yell at me for giving monies to random strangers `-`
qazz42 wrote:
Quote:
I would just say a polite equivalent of "screw you" and turn to a community that would appreciate my hard work.

I, not being so gentleman-ey, would say sometihng 1000 times worse Wink

and Kerm, if I could make a donation, I would, but then my mom would yell at me for giving monies to random strangers `-`
lol, I appreciate it, but I was being sincere that I don't mind not making money from my work in the community. I ask only for respect proportional to the merits that you feel my work deserves, and I am happy to give in return a proportional amount of respect to each person as per their work and their merits. Smile
you connected a calc to teh INTERNETZ! (or at least irc) if that cant win at least one person's respect.. then all hope is lost. You have 100% respect from me
qazz42 wrote:
you connected a calc to teh INTERNETZ! (or at least irc) if that cant win at least one person's respect.. then all hope is lost. You have 100% respect from me
Cheers, I appreciate all your help and moral support with stuff. Smile I'm interested to see what Anselmot's thoughts on the subject are, though.
Really, if Microsoft just lived on donations, it would not have made it to Windows 1997...
qazz42 wrote:
Really, if Microsoft just lived on donations, it would not have made it to Windows 1997...
There's no such thing as Windows 97; the best-known versions are 1.0, 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, and 7. There were also several NT enterprise editions up to NT 4 or so before the enterprise line merged with the consumer line, although Windows Server 2003, 2008, etc continues to be released. Anyway, I'm digressing from the topic at hand.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours