How do u guys feel about piratism?
my computer + laptop full of pirated games + software + movies

counting ROMS for my emulators, I have THOUSANDS of pirated games..

right now im downloading entire InuYasha series Smile

Piracy = Win
95% of music downloads are illegal, and yet the Music Industry is doing just fine. Plus, the DRM software companies have been using recently, securom in particular, is ridiculous. You couldn't put SecuRom's restrictions on a Pizza, or a book, or a Car, so why are companies allowed to do this with their software? I'm afraid to buy PC games legally, as their DRM can do anything from locking the game to installing trojans or rootkits on my computer(without asking me) to make sure I don't do anything they don't want me to. At least with pirated software, all the DRM has been removed. It's sad really that we've allowed retail software to become more dangerous than pirated downloads.
Topic moved to Politics. This topic is fine, as long as you guys remember that all posts are your SOLE responsibility and intellectual property, and that the Cemetech TOS forbids the detailing or sharing of methods to acquire IP illegally.
if I say "google pirate bay" does that count?
I have a fair amount of pirated tv shows and movies on my laptop, but they tend to be "abandonware" that you can't even find in movie rental places, or shows that I could watch for free online if I lived in other countries.
That's generally what me and Dontar have. Old games you can only find on Amazon or craigslist(if at all) in which their sale will never benefit the developer ever again. Then there are newer games, in which the DRM scares me more than the prospect of viruses from a pirated download.

I work in software development, so piracy would seem rather hypocritical. Razz

DShiznit wrote:
You couldn't put SecuRom's restrictions on a Pizza, or a book, or a Car, so why are companies allowed to do this with their software?
Software is intangible, so you need a different type of protection.
if it's intangible, how can it be stolen?
DShiznit, I was actually talking to an Indie game dev last night (Jeff from Wolfire Games, for the record) who was bashing on DRM as much as the rest of us, and has guaranteed he won't be using it on his game.

I STRONGLY suggest preordering Overgrowth from them to support it's development, though it's a bummer that their preorder pack with the Natural Selection 2 guys just ended.
The fact of the matter is DRM does not and never has completely prevented piracy. Everything get's cracked and pirated, even Valve's steam games. There's simply nothing DRM can do but hinder it's users.

Valve's DRM is alright. It prevents the casual sharing of their software(which is the most DRM can do), without hindering the user too much.
DShiznit wrote:
if it's intangible, how can it be stolen?
It can't be, which is why piracy is a matter of copyright infringement, not theft.

DShiznit wrote:
There's simply nothing DRM can do but hinder it's users. [...] Valve's DRM is alright. It prevents the casual sharing of their software(which is the most DRM can do)
I feel you're contradicting yourself a bit there. Wink I agree with your second sentiment; if the DRM is transparent to paying customers, then fine. If it's shoddily implemented, then that's a case of bad software, and does not indicate that DRM itself is a bad thing.
A did contradict a bit, perhaps.

If piracy is not theft, why is it equated with theft by the quasi-governments, I'm sorry, corporations, that buy, I mean, lobby, these laws?
http://3.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpcvvy3eqK1qz4a62o1_500.jpg
I Thought u guys would be very strict about pirates Smile

ive got like 500+ movies, about 20 Xbox360 games, over 100 ps2 games and like 1500 songs Very Happy

and about music piratism; The artist/ band doesn't get a lot of money from the albums, all the money comes from tours and such.
And still many people buy their music
So then why aren't Xbox and PS2 games restricted the way PC games are?
there is nothing anyone can do to stop piracy, cept shut down the internet for good...(all internet, no email, no IRC, no nothing)
ITT: Admissions of guilt Razz

DShiznit wrote:
So then why aren't seXbox and PS2 games restricted the way PC games are?

Because they're not PCs?

Dontar wrote:
there is nothing anyone can do to stop piracy, cept shut down the internet for good...(all internet, no email, no IRC, no nothing)

Um, no; everyone would just go to one of those shaddy street vendors to get their goods far cheaper than retail.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours