Windows 7, yuck.
Well, at least it's better than Vista...
So I've heard, but it's memory footprint is the same, and that was my biggest gripe with Vista. When I have a machine that's fast enough for that not to matter, I'll consider it. I also don't know if I like how much it rips off linux...
DShiznit wrote:
So I've heard, but it's memory footprint is the same, and that was my biggest gripe with Vista. When I have a machine that's fast enough for that not to matter, I'll consider it. I also don't know if I like how much it rips off linux...

A small RAM footprint is a *bad* thing. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. If you are talking about disk space, then buy a bigger drive. When even the cheapest HP and Dell desktops come with 500gb+ hard drives but you don't have the space for Windows 7 or Vista, then you're computer is *old*.

Also, how is Windows 7 a rip off of Linux?
Kllrnohj wrote:

A small RAM footprint is a *bad* thing. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Unused RAM is RAM I can use for other things besides my goddamn OS. RAM my OS is taking up for no reason at all is wasted RAM.

Quote:
If you are talking about disk space, then buy a bigger drive. When even the cheapest HP and Dell desktops come with 500gb+ hard drives but you don't have the space for Windows 7 or Vista, then you're computer is *old*.

I have plenty of disc space, In addition to the 120+ GB drives each of my computers has built-in, I have several 300+ GB external drives I've collected over the years, including a 1TB one my Mom got on sale at Staples.

Quote:

Please... Download ANY recent version of linux, and explore it's features and UI...
Haha not a single on-topic post here, including this one.
RAM can be deallocated at any time. The OS isn't actively using all of that RAM, it fills it with stuff it might use later to make that stuff load faster. If another program needs the memory, the RAM that is filled but not being used can be overwritten just as fast as if it wasn't filled. My problem with this aggressive caching strategy on vista is that whenever I had it turned on it was constantly accessing the hard drive while I was trying to do other things.
What was this topic about again?
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

A small RAM footprint is a *bad* thing. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. If you are talking about disk space, then buy a bigger drive. When even the cheapest HP and Dell desktops come with 500gb+ hard drives but you don't have the space for Windows 7 or Vista, then you're computer is *old*.

hehe,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIgEFIv5MI
Some people don't know their classics Laughing
DShiznit wrote:
Unused RAM is RAM I can use for other things besides my goddamn OS. RAM my OS is taking up for no reason at all is wasted RAM.

Quite simply, no, you are wrong. 100% completely wrong. Ask any engineer, and they will tell you that unused cache is wasted cache, and RAM is a cache. By the way, but Linux will also use close to 100% of your RAM, it just doesn't tell you. If you look at RAM usage, it only shows what is currently being used *outside* of caching purposes. If you look at the RAM being used for disk caching and the like, you will see that Linux also uses up almost all of your RAM.

Will_W's complaint about Vista's aggressiveness in repopulating the cache is pretty accurate, though, which 7 scaled back on.

Quote:
Please... Download ANY recent version of linux, and explore it's features and UI...

I have. All OSes "borrow" features from each other, that doesn't make them ripoffs. That said, the UI and featureset of Vista/7 is *very* different from GNOME/KDE.

elfprince13 wrote:

Yeah, that really just proves that people are gullible. You could have shown off a copy of GNOME and called it Windows 8 Alpha and people would believe it, at least right up until they walk away and totally forget everything you just said.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours