After the surprising success of DHCPgen as both a tool for use in my school's EE department and as a tool available here, I've been working on a new multiserver management program called SysMon. The fairly self-explanatory program consists of a tiny client Bash script run as a cron on machines to be monitored, a small PHP program to receive and store client data, and a C/ncurses program to aggregate and display data realtime. SysMon allows an administrator to monitor core CPU temperature, memory usage, load, users, uptime, and up/down status on many servers at a time, ideal for the small to medium-sized academic department or business. I have not released any code with this version, as I am still spiffing, debugging, and coding. At this point, I have a working Linux (Ubuntu, Gentoo, and CentOS tested) and Solaris client; using the lm_sensors or lm-sensors package, I have successfully fetched temperature data on the Ubuntu and CentOS machines. The final release will contain relatively little in the way of setup scripts, but will include comprehensive documentation on setting up the system. Some Linux/Unix competence will be assumed.

(Click to enlarge)
Wow nice work there Kerm. I'd defiantly find that useful if I had a multi UNIX server setup anywhere. Another thought would be to add apcupsd support for those of us with servers or machines on UPS's along with hddtemp and smartd for Hard drive information.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours