This will be my progress thread of my laser tag game type addon.The game will consist of artificial intellegnt players and normal players.The game will also let other players try to tag the base and claim a point.The game will have 2 modes (AI and Non AI).

The progress as of follows
|||||||||| - player laser tag
|||||||||| - Laser Tag Game Type
|||||||||| anti cheat
|||||||||| ai players
Are you implementing your AI players using an AIConnection?
I never understood why you would want to use AI connection, unless you wanted to keep score for bots...
EmperorWiggy wrote:
I never understood why you would want to use AI connection, unless you wanted to keep score for bots...

This. And it makes it possible to actually do things like control bot jetting the real way, with trigger states, instead of via applying hacky forces the way I did with Cemetech AI.
elfprince13 wrote:
This. And it makes it possible to actually do things like control bot jetting the real way, with trigger states, instead of via applying hacky forces the way I did with Cemetech AI.

Wait, are we talking about AIconnection or AIplayer? You can do all that stuff by using AIplayer.
EmperorWiggy wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Wait, are we talking about AIconnection or AIplayer? You can do all that stuff by using AIplayer.

AIConnection. I'm quite sure you don't have access to the MoveManager through AIPlayer, since AIConnection inherits from GameConnection, and AIPlayer doesn't.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm quite sure you don't have access to the MoveManager through AIPlayer, since AIConnection inherits from GameConnection, and AIPlayer doesn't.

Ooh, I forgot about the MoveManager. But can't you just use the movement and aiming commands that the AIPlayer uses?
EmperorWiggy wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm quite sure you don't have access to the MoveManager through AIPlayer, since AIConnection inherits from GameConnection, and AIPlayer doesn't.

Ooh, I forgot about the MoveManager. But can't you just use the movement and aiming commands that the AIPlayer uses?

Sure, but it doesn't give you the same flexibility, and requires additional haxiness. Also, a LOT of FreeBuild functionality that should be generic to all player objects (including AIPlayer's), check for a client object. In general it's just a cleaner way of doing things. The MoveManager will also be required for controlling vehicles via AI.
elfprince13 wrote:
Also, a LOT of FreeBuild functionality that should be generic to all player objects (including AIPlayer's), check for a client object. In general it's just a cleaner way of doing things.

Ah, that's true. I generally try to avoid using AIConnections, so I spend a lot of time tagging AI players with virtual clients.

Speaking of Freebuild functionality, about how much stuff checks for a client object?
I always did that too, with CemetechAI, and it made a mess of things. Avoid doing that like the plague Wink

[edit]

AIClient is actually what you want, which is a subclass of AIConnection.
I'll be sure to note all this when working on Super-Duper-Awesomesauce AI, thanks...

Fixed that for you - CyberPrime
/facepalm

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours