Alright everyone, the kit has finally been compiled! There are two versions, one that includes soldering tools, and one without:

SOLDER KIT (RECOMMENDED) $87.64 + S&H
I2C EEPROM - 256kbit - $1.95
Graphic LCD 128x64 STN LED Backlight - $19.95
9V to 2.1 Barrel Jack - $2.95
One Wire Digital Temperature Sensor - DS18B20 - $4.25
Breadboard Clear Self-Adhesive - $5.95
Beginner Parts Kit - $24.95
Buzzer - PC Mount 12mm 2.048kHz - $1.95
Triple Output LED RGB - $1.95
Jumper Wires Premium 6" F/F Pack of 10 - $3.95
Hook-up Wire - Black - $2.50
Wire Strippers 30AWG - $4.95
Solder Leaded 10-gram Tube - $1.95
Diagonal Cutters - $1.95
Soldering Iron - 40W - $5.95
Solder Wick #2 5ft. - Generic - $2.49
Then buy the Freeduino Kit from SeeedStudio ($22.90)

SOLDER-FREE KIT $120.25 + S&H
I2C EEPROM - 256kbit - $1.95
Serial Graphic LCD 128x64 - $34.95
9V to 2.1 Barrel Jack - $2.95
One Wire Digital Temperature Sensor - DS18B20 - $4.25
Breadboard Clear Self-Adhesive - $5.95
Beginner Parts Kit - $24.95
Buzzer - PC Mount 12mm 2.048kHz - $1.95
Triple Output LED RGB - $1.95
Jumper Wires Premium 6" F/F Pack of 10 - $3.95
Hook-up Wire - Black - $2.50
Wire Strippers 30AWG - $4.95
Arduino USB Board - $29.95

In other news, look who's in AVRFreak's January 2010 Hall of Fame Cool

Proof
I'm probably going to get the solder-free kit, seeing as it's cheaper and I've never (successfully) soldered a circuit board before. So......why are you recommending the solder-requiring kit? Just for experience? If that's all.....I think I'm gonna be cheap and lazy here Smile
magicdanw wrote:
I'm probably going to get the solder-free kit, seeing as it's cheaper and I've never (successfully) soldered a circuit board before. So......why are you recommending the solder-requiring kit? Just for experience? If that's all.....I think I'm gonna be cheap and lazy here Smile

It's all about the learning experience Smile Also, if you want to deal with breadboard-unfriendly parts in the future, you'll need to know how to solder properly, so what better time to learn than now?
Mhm. Well, for now anyway, I think I'm gonna keep things simple and cheap - just order from the one site and get the solderless kit. If I feel like learning more, I can always buy the freeduino later, or any other electronic board kit that needs soldering.
Just realized that the LCD in the kit is parallel, not serial (the one with a serial backpack is $15 extra; without it you'd have to solder a bunch of wires and use up a bunch of I/O pins on the microcontroller to operate the LCD).
The kit has been modified to reflect the new LCD choice (parallel for solder kit, serial for solder-free kit).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours