Jimmg wrote:
Well you could always just put it in the SVN when it was the final version.
This is true. Want to send me a model? I'll put it in the map, and then, since I think this will be the last modification for a while, burn the lighting.
http://www.mediafire.com/?vd3lyzim13k
There's the keyboard.
So Elfprince13, I mentioned that I was seeing a significant performance hit with only on the order of dozens of bricks; I think I found the problem:

Note the massive pile of shadows, probably cast by (a) the six underbed lights (b) the one overbed lamp (c) the many emitters inside the cabinet for the stars. Can I make all this stuff not actually cast shadows, for the sake of my (and others) framerates?
Ooh. In particular, the underbed lights are gonna be problematic. I think there are some datablock values that affect shadowing.
Detail Brushes don't cast shadows.
Jimmg wrote:
Detail Brushes don't cast shadows.
Right, but we're talking about DTSes casting shadows. We did some experimenting last night, and I made only the sun cast shadows, but it's still ugly with the sun-cast shadows, so I may try some experiments with either turn off DTS shadows from the sun, or no shadow-casting from bricks at all.
KermMartian wrote:
so I may try some experiments with either turn off DTS shadows from the sun, or no shadow-casting from bricks at all.

Check out bricks.cs.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
so I may try some experiments with either turn off DTS shadows from the sun, or no shadow-casting from bricks at all.

Check out bricks.cs.
Nice, so I assume I could do something on a brick-by-brick basis in Brick::OnUse or BrickItem::OnUse, to avoid having to modify every brick datablock?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Check out bricks.cs.
Nice, so I assume I could do something on a brick-by-brick basis in Brick::OnUse or BrickItem::OnUse, to avoid having to modify every brick datablock?

All the brick datablocks inherit their properties except for scale and the path to the model from a single parent datablock.
I've give you a hint: It begins with "2" and ends with "2"...
DShiznit wrote:
I've give you a hint: It begins with "2" and ends with "2"...

Actually, I think it starts with "static" and ends with "2x2" Wink
Well they're all statics...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours