I'm working on a bedroom-style map for Freebuild, hopefully a fairly high-quality design. This will be the first map I've ever made with an interior, since I failed epically back in the day when I tried to use the shockingly user-unfriendly QuArK. I've been playing around in Torque Constructor and GIMP, and I'm making steady progress on creating the current version of my room (also sometimes known as Kerm's Cave to my friends). You can see AutoCAD plans and some older photos of it in this topic. Here's a few screenies so far (please excuse my current inability to figure out lights in the WorldEditor):

Click for full size
I like it, though I would definitely recommend a more interesting wall texture than just flat white.

This should be useful, as far as lighting is concerned: http://www.torquepowered.com/community/forums/viewthread/80549
Yea, this looks like a great start, Kerm!
/me wants more pictures
Kerm has a tiny cave
Who in God's name needs 4 monitors? You're making me feel poor...
They're provided by my lab, since my home is my workstation. Long story. Anyway, I modelled two sets of shelves, subwoofer, speakers, and am playing around with lighting (still very imperfect). I also redid the walls to solve Torque's insistence on making pieces of the wall and bed brushes disappear because of slight overlaps. Random screenshot:

Click for full size
looking good Smile although the lighting is definitely a bit funky still. maybe make it a little dimmer but adjust the falloff?
It must get pretty smelly in there with all the water damage...
DShiznit wrote:
Huh?

Anyway, here's screenshots from today's progress. Speakers all set up, the shelf above the door, rug on the floor, started my chair.

Click for full size
what's with the purple lamp?
Lucas W wrote:
what's with the purple lamp?
That's my bedside lamp; I didn't put a bulb and sgLightObject emitter in it yet. I'll have to make all my bulbs as DTSes.
NICE rug Smile
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Huh?
Your lack of roof is funny.
Thanks Alex. Very Happy That's since been fixed. Here's my screenshots from the last few days of progress, including clothes, projector, computer, power strips, router, pillows, a roof, door and bulletin board, and more.

here's screenshots from today's progress. Speakers all set up, the shelf above the door, rug on the floor, started my chair.

Click for full size

I still need to add some books on the shelf; do you guys think it's worth it for me to make all the wires? I'm thinking no at this point. Also need to tune the lighting, obviously.
O_o wow! thats a nice 'map' but would you add terrain for the place? other than that... i think you're lucky to have 4 monitors... infinite possibilities... *xyno drifts off on what 4 things you can do at once...*
Added books, debugged detail vs. structure meshes to fix lighting and mesh bugs, turned down spot lighting and turned up ambient lighting. I committed the changes, please feel free to update your TBG and give it a test!

Click for full size
Very nice Kerm, just pulled the update Smile

[edit]

A couple of suggestions,

* The texture on the door is a little bit of an eye strain, I'm not sure what it's suppose to be.....packing foam?

* the purple light should have it's own datablock, because it's *way* too bright for the tiny corner that it's in

* the corkboard should have some paper or other thumb tacked to it.

* the sheets should be some shade other than the same white as the walls + ceiling so they stand out more.

* the books have some weird graphical artifacts

* put the glow in the dark planet stickers in the filing cabinet? Or just something to break up the huge uniform surfaces. I think glowing like this could be implemented with the DecalManager.
Indeed, it looks cool, Kerm. How about some easter eggs?
elfprince13 wrote:
Very nice Kerm, just pulled the update Smile

[edit]

A couple of suggestions,

* The texture on the door is a little bit of an eye strain, I'm not sure what it's suppose to be.....packing foam?
It's acoustic foam, and it's on my real door to insulate my room from hall noise and vice versa.

elfprince13 wrote:
* the purple light should have it's own datablock, because it's *way* too bright for the tiny corner that it's in
It's actually a very bright light IRL, but I'll turn it down anyway, I agree that it's excessive. I'll make it ever so slightly purple-tinged, too, since the real one gets that from the inside coating.

elfprince13 wrote:
* the corkboard should have some paper or other thumb tacked to it.
100% agreed.

elfprince13 wrote:
* the sheets should be some shade other than the same white as the walls + ceiling so they stand out more.
If you look closely, it's actually a cloth weave, but I'll change it to a tan color, like one of my sets of sheets.

elfprince13 wrote:
* the books have some weird graphical artifacts
Will look into it.

elfprince13 wrote:
* put the glow in the dark planet stickers in the filing cabinet? Or just something to break up the huge uniform surfaces. I think glowing like this could be implemented with the DecalManager.
Definitely glowing decals, I'll look into the aforementioned DecalManager.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours