I've been messing around in several tge games lately and found the same issue in all of them.

1.Finding a objects position is possible without server help
    2.switch camera into another object to spy on it
    3.switch camera off object and ablity to move freely
    4.spawn client sided objects

I've confirmed that tbg has these issues and i know a how each of them are done.Elfprince or CyberPrime pm me if you need some code to prove it with.[/list]
blitz_9100 wrote:
I've been messing around in several tge games lately and found the same issue in all of them.

1.anything is possible to find client side
    2.spycams are indefinite issue
    3.flycams client sided
    4.client sided objects

I've confirmed that tbg has these issues and i know a how each of them are done.Elfprince or CyberPrime pm me if you need some code to prove it with.

Would it be possible for you to explain what you mean by these terms with some sort of description? I can't really tell what you mean from the points in the list.
I agree, I'm having trouble figuring out your distinction between 1 and 4, and between 2 and 3. Could you expand all four points into, perhaps, full sentences, and maybe even paragraphs? Razz
Updated with better descriptions
This should be a simple matter of restricting those functions to admins. Unless this is something that's purely client-side, in which case an encrypted set of instructions would be needed to disable them, correct?
Lol, Age of Time hacks.
Lucas,This is not just age of time.I've tried it on a few games done with tge.If you look around you can definitly find games that have the same issue.Yes it is client side and the best solution is probally a key-set would do the trick (aka client & server key matching)
This might be why TGE is no longer sold?
I see no particular problem with client-side object spawning - isn't that kinda the whole point of building games? I could see why it would be preferable to restrict the set of things that could be spawned, though.
All you have to do is restrict .getTransform() and .getPosition() on any player that isn't serverconnection.getcontrolobject() and make sure you can't use serverconnection.setcontrolobject() anymore.

Though you could easily bypass that with %player.save("config/player.cs"); and do the same with fileobjects
then open it up to find their position that way. Though it's not a good idea to save every 100ms.

Lucas W wrote:
This might be why TGE is no longer sold?

Doubt it. TGE is years old, it's been made obsolete with the release of TGEA and T3D
I'd like to see you doing this in a game where you aren't both client and host (i.e. on Storm's dedicated). As far as I'm aware the Torque Networking Library doesn't have a mechanism for client side objects to call setTransform() and the like, or spawn objects in the game world.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'd like to see you doing this in a game where you aren't both client and host (i.e. on Storm's dedicated). As far as I'm aware the Torque Networking Library doesn't have a mechanism for client side objects to call setTransform() and the like, or spawn objects in the game world.

A client can edit tons of things clientsidedly.
Wink Just most of the methods to do it are shoddy/hacky work arounds.
Jimmg wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

A client can edit tons of things clientsidedly.
Wink Just most of the methods to do it are shoddy/hacky work arounds.

There are lots of things you could do entirely clientside with a memory editor. You would just be unable to propagate those changes back to the server. packUpdate() is a server function, unpackUpdate() is a client function.

You can use server commands and messages with callbacks to call server side functions, and if those are unpermissioned, that is a different issue.

If you think otherwise, show me a code snippet that you think supports your claims.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours