Which map do you like best?
GreyMario's
 50%  [ 4 ]
CyberPrime's
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

So if we're going to be losing IKEA House, I guess we'll need something better!

Here's hoping I'll be able to get this somewhere. I expect I'll be able to draw up a floorplan without much issue, and since I have some experience with working with Hammer (and from there I can import into QuArK) I can construct the map as well.

But here's what I was thinking

- At least two floors. Including an attic would be awesome.
- One bathroom, on the ground floor.
- Two bedrooms, one on the ground floor. Perchance one could be more like a nursery.
- A large living room on the ground floor, leading into...
- A kitchen. On the ground floor. What kind of house is complete without a kitchen?
- An outside world. The first living-space map (aside from Treehouse) to actually have a proper exterior to the interior!

As for secrets, well there's plenty of room for those. For a start:

- Broom closet.
- Interconnected network of mouse holes.
- Something down the drain in the sink.
- Gotta have the classic inside-the-refrigerator secret.
- Wedges of cheese. Everywhere.
- Exit through the chimney

Also I suppose I'll need some people to help with acquiring textures and such. But that'll come later, yeah? I'll need to make the map first.

Might as well get started. I'll draw up a floor plan tomorrow, I suppose. Considering it's seriously like almost bedtime right now.

~Added a poll to see which map is favorite. - CyberPrime
that's an awesome idea! i wish i could help... but i know nothing or quark, or hammer... but i will learn now! Razz
keep in mind, DIF has a 256 surface limit. You could either break the map up into sections, or have each element be a seperate model(floorplan, furniture, tunnels, etc.)
I'd just model stuff individually, in a "prop" sense. That way, you can create the basic house, and then place the individually-modeled furniture and stuff around.

If I can get Torque Constructor to actually track my mouse right and/or QuArK back to working order, I'll be more than willing to contribute.
I'll keep that in mind, I guess.

Shouldn't be too difficult to put each piece together. I can chop things apart at the room boundary, I can save a few surfaces by using square banisters on the stairs, etc...

But yeah.

Props? Might work, for things like the furniture, but unless I use TSStatics that'll chew up some datablocks.
You forgot 1 thing, the study/nerd room

Props: tables, bed, books, computer, tv,remote, plant pot
Lucas W wrote:
You forgot 1 thing, the study/nerd room

Props: tables, bed, books, computer, tv,remote, plant pot

yep! dats mah room ^_^
TSStatics spawned by the world editor do not affect datablocks...
The 256 surface limit doesn't apply anymore, as far as I'm aware, at least in constructor. save a .map from quark, and then open it in constructor to finish it off and export properly. Just make sure you use detail and structural brushes properly, and do some zoning.
Alright, so Hammer, QuArK, Constructor, polish, done.

DShiz: I just said that
Also, if you use constructor, no need to bother with tsstatics, because you can just bake those shapes into the .dif. I have some Lego-y prefabs for constructor as well, if anyone wants them.
elfprince13 wrote:
I have some Lego-y prefabs for constructor as well, if anyone wants them.

it that how you make LEGO-like vehicles? because i would want them please... ^_^
No, Constructor uses constructive solid geometry. Vehicles are made in mesh editors. For vehicles, you just have to learn to the Lego proportions, and make lots of rectangular protrustions in your vehicles, and then texture appropriately.
I wouldn't bake statics into my maps ever, because I like being able to move props. If possible I'd make all the maps props objects with physics you can play with(assuming dynload does something about that datablock limit...).
Nothing for the limit. Just makes it tougher to hit it, since you pick and choose what's loaded, instead of mass loading everything under the sun like TBM and TOB did. Also, makes it easier to have datablock dependencies between files, so you don't end up with 8 datablocks with the different names and identical parameters.
oh... Rolling Eyes well then... what would be the best constructor? i know a little bit about milkshape, but that expired... and i kinda know blender... are there any better?
Xyno76 wrote:
oh... Rolling Eyes well then... what would be the best constructor? i know a little bit about milkshape, but that expired... and i kinda know blender... are there any better?

Take the time to be good with Blender, or buy Milkshape. Anything else will cost you a metric butt-ton. As far as texturing is concerned, if you start getting fancy, you'll want lithunwrap as well as milkshape. Blender can probably handle texturing on it's own, but I don't use it too much.
ok thanx elfprince, good thing too, cuz all i have is blender right now... i'll start training right now!
Floor Plan: GreyMario 1 (WARNING: 1024x1024px PNG file!)
wow! that going to be a nice house... and a big one O_o

i just hope it won't laggs... Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours