KermMartian wrote:
I get that impression as well, although Kllrnohj, you were sorta-necroposting by responding to that statement from November. Razz

I just look at new posts and someone posted something new in this thread. Didn't realize that it was a dead thread being revived.

benryves wrote:
The only post I can see here about LED backlights is Kllrnohj's - all the others were about using LEDs as display elements instead of LCDs. At least, that was my understanding.

When people talk about LED monitors and TVs they either mean LED back-lighting (whether they know it or not) or they are a crack head.
Kllrnohj wrote:
benryves wrote:
The only post I can see here about LED backlights is Kllrnohj's - all the others were about using LEDs as display elements instead of LCDs. At least, that was my understanding.

When people talk about LED monitors and TVs they either mean LED back-lighting (whether they know it or not) or they are a crack head.
Really? But OLED displays do not use OLEDs as a backlight. I quote wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:
In the context of displays, OLEDs have a significant advantage over traditional liquid crystal displays (LCDs). OLEDs do not require a backlight to function. Thus, they can display deep black levels, draw far less power, and can be much thinner and lighter than an LCD panel. OLED displays also naturally achieve much higher contrast ratio than LCD screens using CCFL Backlights.
OLEDs are the screen itself, not its backlight.
KermMartian wrote:
Really? But OLED displays do not use OLEDs as a backlight. I quote wikipedia:

OLEDs are the screen itself, not its backlight.

Correct, but LED is not OLED. An LED display does not mean OLED. "LED Display" means a normal LCD with LED backlighting. If you mean OLED, then say OLED, not LED.
Kllrnohj wrote:
"LED Display" means a normal LCD with LED backlighting.

Technically it's a display that uses LEDs, of which OLED displays are a subset - though due to confusingly branding LED-backlit LCDs as "LED TV" I can see where you're coming from. I'd never heard of such displays being referred to as LED TVs in the UK, but that may be due to the ASA: [In] the UK, the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) has made it clear in prior correspondence that it does not object to the use of the term, but does require it to be clarified in any advertising.
benryves wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
"LED Display" means a normal LCD with LED backlighting.

Technically it's a display that uses LEDs, of which OLED displays are a subset - though due to confusingly branding LED-backlit LCDs as "LED TV" I can see where you're coming from. I'd never heard of such displays being referred to as LED TVs in the UK, but that may be due to the ASA: [In] the UK, the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) has made it clear in prior correspondence that it does not object to the use of the term, but does require it to be clarified in any advertising.

I put it in quotes to try and indicate that I was talking about marketing speak and common use. For example, Apple's site constantly talks about their "LED Displays" ( http://www.apple.com/displays/ ), but they are regular LCDs with LED back-lighting. Apple isn't the only culprit, though, pretty much every company calls LCDs with LED back-lighting an "LED Display". Such use is certainly not limited to TVs, though. The common use *might* change once OLED becomes a consumer reality, but I doubt it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours