elfprince13 wrote:
Also, because a personal relationship with the omnipotent and loving creator of the universe can have benefits in this life, and it's nice to share those with people. Also, if someone is willing to suffer death to save your life its a bit of a slap in the face to have that knowledge and ignore it. Showing respect to other human beings becomes a matter of showing respect for their creator.

It is fully possible to respect someone without a creator. There are numerous people that I respect, for example, and I certainly don't believe in a god.

And you did illustrate my point. Your claim of having a personal relationship with god (I'm using god as a placeholder for whatever you want to believe in) helps *YOU* (or at least your belief makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside). You are so selfish Razz

As for someone to die for my life being a slap in the face, I dispute the former, thus the later no longer holds true.

Quote:
This is the only point I really cared about. Why are you in here debating someone else's moral principles when your own consist of "I'll do whatever pleases me, as long as I think I can do it without getting in trouble" ? Something about throwing around terms like "clearly evil" strikes me as hypocrisy in this case.

Those aren't my moral principles. I think the "do unto others as you would have done unto you" fits quite well. My "it wouldn't" was in the context of "you can do that without being caught? Why should anyone care?", which simply doesn't hold true. Also, I wouldn't ram a semi into your house 'cause, fortunately for you, I am waaaay too lazy. That is one of my other moral principles - doing harm to people requires an awful lot of work, screw that.

Quote:
that's honestly one of the few reasonable arguments I've heard on the subject, but doesn't really convince me to move beyond "err on the side of caution"

Good thing we as a species don't err on the side of caution or we would never have made it to the moon. Or have fire.

Quote:
If you describe self entertainment as "intellectual purpose"

Look around at all the other threads here - this is as close to "intellectual" (despite the flaming) that this forum ever gets.
Kllrnohj wrote:
There are numerous people that I respect

Why? You've made it clear in other threads that your belief system doesn't allow for free will. How can you possibly define respect in a meaningful way without allowance for self-determined behavior? I don't respect cows, fish, flowers, slime mold, cellular automata or carbon atoms for being animated lumps of particles exhibiting probabilistic behavior, so why should I respect humans for the same? (I should note that as a Christian I respect all of the above as wondrous aspects of God's creation)

Quote:
And you did illustrate my point. Your claim of having a personal relationship with god (I'm using god as a placeholder for whatever you want to believe in) helps *YOU*
Those aren't my moral principles. I think the "do unto others as you would have done unto you" fits quite well. My "it wouldn't" was in the context of "you can do that without being caught? Why should anyone care?", which simply doesn't hold true.

I'm not going to claim that my good deeds are purely altruistic with no thought for myself. But a significant factor is a desire to help other people simply because they are human beings. The Bible makes it pretty clear that we aren't saved by our works, so that particular argument is off the table. My point is that without a belief in humans as spiritual beings, anything other than pure self interest is illogical. You have yet to provide any sort of workable definition of how good and evil even make conceptual sense from a purely naturalist worldview. I thought we were making some headway, but clearly you dislike that definition, or at least you dislike the moral principles that follow from that definition , so I'll ask you again. Where do your moral principles come from, and again, the more important why. Upon what reasoning are they founded?

Quote:
And I just like making fun of your beliefs. Hence why these always go in circles.

Quoted for context.
Quote:
Look around at all the other threads here - this is as close to "intellectual" (despite the flaming) that this forum ever gets.

If this is your roundabout way of saying "I was just being an asshat, and I actually do enjoy debating for intellectual stimulation," then apology accepted. If not, then my point stands that this thread isn't serving any purpose other than allowing you to mock others' beliefs, which is not behavior in keeping with the policies of this forum.
elfprince13 wrote:
Why? You've made it clear in other threads that your belief system doesn't allow for free will. How can you possibly define respect in a meaningful way without allowance for self-determined behavior? I don't respect cows, fish, flowers, slime mold, cellular automata or carbon atoms for being animated lumps of particles exhibiting probabilistic behavior, so why should I respect humans for the same? (I should note that as a Christian I respect all of the above as wondrous aspects of God's creation)

I have done no such thing. Believing in scientific methods and logical explanations does not exclude free will.

Your beliefs, however, fully prevent any form of free will.

Quote:
My point is that without a belief in humans as spiritual beings, anything other than pure self interest is illogical. You have yet to provide any sort of workable definition of how good and evil even make conceptual sense from a purely naturalist worldview. I thought we were making some headway, but clearly you dislike that definition, or at least you dislike the moral principles that follow from that definition , so I'll ask you again.

You are missing the point that self interest often IS linked to the self interest of the species as a whole. The drive of nature is to preserve the species. The old sacrifice for the young, the mother dies protecting her children, etc... These are far from being behaviors solely of humans, animals do the same all the time. It is not selfless behavior. It does not require a spirit or god or anything of that sort.

Quote:
Where do your moral principles come from, and again, the more important why. Upon what reasoning are they founded?

I've already answered this. I'm not going to keep repeating myself so you can ignore my response.

Quote:
If this is your roundabout way of saying "I was just being an asshat, and I actually do enjoy debating for intellectual stimulation," then apology accepted. If not, then my point stands that this thread isn't serving any purpose other than allowing you to mock others' beliefs, which is not behavior in keeping with the policies of this forum.

Nope, I wasn't apologizing. The two motives are far from mutually exclusive.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I have done no such thing. Believing in scientific methods and logical explanations does not exclude free will.

Of course not. Naturalism however, does. If you aren't a strict naturalist then please take the time to explain the nature of your spiritual beliefs, otherwise my point stands.

Kllrnohj wrote:

False.

Quote:
I've already answered this. I'm not going to keep repeating myself so you can ignore my response.

So far you've done an excellent job of allowing me to extrapolate what they are not.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Interestingly enough, this topic came up in a book I was reading today.
Dinesh D'Souza wrote:
Yet there are equally profound consequences to insisting that man is nothing more than matter operating according to physical laws. If that is so, then we live in a deterministic universe and free will is an illusion. Some, like Francis Crick and E. O. Wilson, unhesitatingly assert that humans do not have free will. "It seems free to you," Crick says, "but it's the result of things you are not aware of." Wilson writes that "the hidden preparation of mental activity gives the illusion of free will."

But Richard Dawkins argues that although we are the product of our selfish genes, "we have the power to turn against our creators. We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators." Thus, if we "understand what our own selfish genes are up to . . . we may then at least have the chance to upset their designs." If this is true, then by Dawkins's own admission we humans occupy a unique position in the universe, because our minds can control our biological destiny. But how is it possible for us to rebel against our genes? How are we different from computers, who cannot rebel against their programming, or cheetahs, who unquestioningly obey the mandate to hunt and survive, or meteors, which travel in placid obedience to the laws of force and gravity? Dawkins has no explanation for this and doesn't seem to think he needs one.
elfprince13 wrote:
Of course not. Naturalism however, does. If you aren't a strict naturalist then please take the time to explain the nature of your spiritual beliefs, otherwise my point stands.

I really don't think you have any idea what naturalism OR free will is, as they most certainly are not, in any way, mutually exclusive. Far from it. Also, I would like to point out that YOU are making the assertion that I am a naturalist, *I* made no such statement.

Quote:
False.

Quite the contrary. The very definition of god forbids any notion of free will. Free will cannot coincide with a being knowing what you will do before you do it.

Quote:
So far you've done an excellent job of allowing me to extrapolate what they are not.

You just like to "extrapolate" from what isn't there. Hence your belief in god, of course.
I know quite a few people who would disagree with your God = no free will
Kllrnohj wrote:

Quote:
False.

Quite the contrary. The very definition of god forbids any notion of free will. Free will cannot coincide with a being knowing what you will do before you do it.

Say someone invented a device that can look into the future. If I look into your future and see that you will eat eggs for breakfast tomorrow, am I somehow forcing you to eat eggs? Certainly not.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I really don't think you have any idea what naturalism OR free will is, as they most certainly are not, in any way, mutually exclusive. Far from it.

Funny you should say that. My dad has a book on the subject that's being published in the next year. A single-universe interpretation of QM allows for non-deterministic behavior, however I'm not sure how you see randomness as a better grounds for respect than predetermined behavior. Instead, I think it's somewhat more likely that you don't understand the philosophical consequences of your own beliefs, which is why I've decided to make my recent arguments more in the vein of presuppositional apologetics.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Also, I would like to point out that YOU are making the assertion that I am a naturalist, *I* made no such statement.

elfprince13 wrote:

Quote:

You seem to be fixated on a Calvinist view of God. Here are my lecture notes for a talk I gave this summer on the subject, tackling free will and predestination from both scientific and theological quarters.
Quote:
So before I start, I want everyone to know that I've chosen to speak on a topic that I find fascinating, and that if I say anything that you don't understand, either because I used words you aren't familiar with, or because I'm speaking too quickly, please just shout out, and let me know.
How many of you chose to do something today? … I bet most of you chose which cereal you were going to eat for breakfast this morning, or even whether you were going to have cereal at all. On a little bit more significant level, you all had a choice whether to obey the directions your counselors gave you today, and you had a choice to respond in friendship and love, or to respond in anger or sarcasm when people got on your nerves or were just plain mean during the course of the day. We are faced with hundreds of decisions every day, and part of a Christian worldview is that we, as human beings created in God's image, are truly free to make each of those decisions for ourselves. You will hear many challenges to this worldview, and I hope to be able to answer several of those challenges tonight, but first I'd like to start with a story. Actually, interesting side note, before I get in to the meat of the talk. Myth and logic both come from Greek words that meant truth. Myth originally meant truth conveyed through story, and logos (or logic) originally meant truth conveyed through reasoning. While myth has (sadly) lost much of that original meaning, it can still be used to convey truth through stories that are not true in the sense of a “true story,” but true in the deeper sense of the worldview that they convey, and it is for this reason that I have chosen to tell this story.
How many of you have seen The Lord of the Rings movies, or read the books? … Are any of you familiar with The Silmarillion? It's another set of stories that take place in Middle Earth, and all the stories of Middle Earth were J.R.R. Tolkien's attempt at a mythology that could serve as a more fantastic history for our own world. The story I'm going to share is part of the creation story for that mythology and describes the creation of the dwarven race.
It is told that in their beginning the Dwarves were made by Aulë [one of the Valar … angelic beings who are the rulers of Middle-earth] in the darkness of Middle-earth; for so greatly did Aulë desire the coming of the Children [Elves and Men], to have learners to whom he could teach his lore and his crafts, that he was unwilling to await the fulfilment of the designs of Ilúvatar [The name used for God in Tokien's mythology]. And Aulë made the Dwarves even as they still are, because the forms of the Children who were to come were unclear to his mind, and because the power of Melkor [The most powerful of the Valar, who rebelled against Ilúvatar] was yet over the Earth; and he wished therefore that they should be strong and unyielding. But fearing that the other Valar might blame his work, he wrought in secret: and he made first the Seven Fathers of the Dwarves in a hall under the mountains in Middle-earth. Now Ilúvatar knew what was done, and in the very hour that Aulë's work was complete, and he was pleased, and began to instruct the Dwarves in the speech that he had devised for them, Ilúvatar spoke to him; and Aulë heard his voice and was silent. And the voice of Ilúvatar said to him: 'Why hast thou done this? Why dost thou attempt a thing which thou knowest is beyond thy power and thy authority? For thou hast from me as a gift thy own being only, and no more; and therefore the creatures of thy hand and mind can live only by that being, moving when thou thinkest to move them, and if thy thought be elsewhere, standing idle. Is that thy desire?' Then Aulë answered: 'I did not desire such lordship. I desired things other than I am, to love and to teach them, so that they too might perceive the beauty of Eä [in other words, the created universe], which thou hast caused to be. For it seemed to me that there is great room in Arda for many things that might rejoice in it, yet it is for the most part empty still, and dumb. And in my impatience I have fallen into folly. Yet the making of thing is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father. But what shall I do now, so that thou be not angry with me for ever? As a child to his father, I offer to thee these things, the work of the hands which thou hast made. Do with them what thou wilt. But should I not rather destroy the work of my presumption?' Then Aulë took up a great hammer to smite the Dwarves; and he wept. But Ilúvatar had compassion upon Aulë and his desire, because of his humility; and the Dwarves shrank from the hammer and were afraid, and they bowed down their heads and begged for mercy. And the voice of Ilúvatar said to Aulë: 'Thy offer I accepted even as it was made. Dost thou not see that these things have now a life of their own, and speak with their own voices? Else they would not have flinched from thy blow, nor from any command of thy will.' Then Aulë cast down his hammer and was glad, and he gave thanks to Ilúvatar, saying: 'May Eru [another name for Ilúvatar] bless my work and amend it!' But Ilúvatar spoke again and said: 'Even as I gave being to the thoughts of the Ainur [or the angels] at the beginning of the World, so now I have taken up thy desire and given to it a place therein; but in no other way will I amend thy handiwork, and as thou hast made it, so shall it be. But I will not suffer this: that these should come before the Firstborn of my design, nor that thy impatience should be rewarded. They shall sleep now in the darkness under stone, and shall not come forth until the Firstborn have awakened upon Earth; and until that time thou and they shall wait, though long it seem. But when the time comes I will awaken them, and they shall be to thee as children; and often strife shall arise between thine and mine, the children of my adoption and the children of my choice.'

This story beautifully mirrors our own creation, as told in the first chapters of Genesis, and answers, or at least hints at the answer to, one of the first questions people ask when confronted with the Christian belief that God created us with free will. That first question is WHY would God choose to create us with free will when it gives us the ability to do so much evil, and this the story answers beautifully. How many of you have ever played with Lego's? Did you actually act out stories with your Lego guys? How about play with those little plastic army men, or GI Joe's? And how many of you still do that? One thing that you'll notice as you get older is that when you're the only one playing with those 5, or 10, or 20 guys, it's just not as fun when you're the one who's making ALL the characters speak, it's always more fun to have someone to play with. How much more true must that be for God? If He had created us without free will … without the ability to make our decisions, we would be nothing more than a giant planet of Lego people. Of course we'd always do what He wanted us to do...but only because we only thought of things that He thought, and only do the things that He forced us to do. If you want someone to love you, you don't surround yourself with your entire collection of Lego people … you surround yourself with friends. God created us to love Him, and to learn from Him, but real love, and real learning, only come from the ability to make your own decisions. In Genesis 1, we are told that God said,
"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them, " and then later in Genesis 3, we are told that God was actually walking in the Garden of Eden with them, 'Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"
He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."'

God created us to be in loving fellowship with Him, but ever since that time we have been in rebellion against Him.
Now I'd like to move on from questions of the “I don't understand why?” variety, to direct challenges to a belief in free will. The first of these that I want to respond to is the one that you are more likely to encounter in a secular (not religious) college or high school, and the one which has most strongly challenged my own faith. From psychologists, neurologists, biologists, and many others who study the human brain you will hear the claim that our minds are nothing more than extraordinarily complex computers … computers which theoretically could be controlled by someone who understood the inner workings well enough, and which could eventually be downloaded onto your desktop computer, allowing you (and your other computerized copies) to live on in the world of the Internet without any need for a real body. From many who disbelieve in the spiritual reality of the universe you will hear the claim that the final outcome of the universe, and every single event leading up to it was determined in the instant it began. This argument has been around for hundreds of years … and a more modern version, taking into account the findings of quantum physics is that our universe is just one of many universes, splitting apart from each other like branches on a tree, playing through every single possible version of the universe. Quite a few movies are based on this idea, as it certainly allows for all sorts of interesting plot twists (for example.......what if you could somehow travel to a different universe in which your parents had won the lottery, and you were suddenly very, very rich?). What it doesn't allow for is the sort of universe in which God is still active in his Creation, and it certainly doesn't allow for free will. Both of these claims center on the same two basic assumptions, and so I'll try and answer both at the same time. The first of these assumptions is that the very smallest building blocks that make up our universe will always behave the same way, or that their behavior is caused by another physical event; and the second is that spiritual beings (God, angels, demons, our own spirit) either don't exist or have no ability to influence the physical world. Obviously these are pretty heavy attacks, leveled at the core of a Christian worldview, so if our faith is to have any substance, it's important that we be able to answer these challenges. After all, in the words of 1 Corinthians 15:16-19, “For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile, you are still in your sins! Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in this life only we hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.” [explain this in more contemporary English]. Fortunately, these attacks are based on scientific claims, and we can answer them with science. The claims of both those who view the human brain as nothing more than computers, and of those who believe that the outcome of the entire universe is predetermined by the laws of physics are based on a classical understanding of physics in which every event in the universe's history can be traced back along a chain of cause and effect to the universe's creation, assuming we understand well enough the laws that govern the way the universe works. While this view is fairly accurate on a large scale (we can backtrack and even predict the movements of stars and planets with amazing accuracy), the study of quantum mechanics has shown that this simply does not hold true with the smallest building blocks of our universe. Some of you are probably familiar with C.S. Lewis (author of the Chronicles of Narnia), and he expressed the impact that this should have on our beliefs quite well in one of his essays on theology. “Now it will be noticed that if this theory is true we have really admitted something other than Nature. If the movements of the individual units are events 'on their own', events which do not interlock with all other events, then these movements are not part of Nature. It would be, indeed, too great a shock to our habits to describe them as super-natural. I think we should have to call them sub-natural. But all our confidence that Nature has no doors, and no reality outside herself for doors to open on, would have disappeared. There is apparently something outside her, the Subnatural; it is indeed from this Subnatural that all events and all 'bodies' are, as it were, fed into her. And clearly if she thus has a back door opening on the Subnatural, it is quite on the cards that she may also have a front door opening on the Supernatural-and events might be fed into her at that door too.” [paraphrase now]
In other words, while an attempt to explain away miracles, and human will, as a side-effect of quantum mechanics would be to deny the spiritual side of God's creation just as much as to take the view that events are strictly predetermined by physics, the simple fact that events not governed by the physical causes can happen at all removes the possibility of any scientific argument against the existence of the spiritual realm on the grounds that there is no “wiggle room” through which spiritual beings could change the course of events in our physical world. The other variation of the attack, mentioned above, is based on the idea that our universe is just one universe in a huge collection of universes playing out every single possible way in which a universe could turn out, [insert combination lock metaphor here]. While this argument is espoused by many scientists, it is not a scientific argument, but rather a philosophical one. Even if there were millions upon millions of universes, some containing versions of me with pink hair, or wielding a lightsaber, or in which cows developed purple fur, rather than brown fur, we have no way of EVER testing whether they exist or not. With that in mind, I think it's time to move on to the theologically stickier question, knowing that while there is no “scientific proof of God” any attempt at a scientific disproof of God, or of free will, crosses the boundary from science into philosophical guessing.
The second challenge to free will comes not from scientific quarters, but rather from theological quarters, and stems from a belief that God's plan for the universe is so comprehensive, and so hands on, that even if we are theoretically able to make our own decisions, God knows us so well that He already knows what decision we are going to make, thousands of years before we're ever born. The problem with this is, we don't really have free will if our behavior is as predictable through laws (even laws known only to God) governing the spiritual realm, as the movements of the planets are through the laws which govern the physical realm. As far as the existence of free will is concerned, such a belief is no better than the belief that we are nothing more than complex computers; however, this is a sticky topic, because the Bible strongly emphasizes two points which, at first glance are in conflict with each other, so I'm going to do my best to point out the key parts of both points, and build out of that something which makes sense. Before I dive in, lets take a look at few passages from scripture.
Ephesians 1:11 “In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will”
Ephesians 2:10 “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”
John 6:44 “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.”
The first two passages make it abundantly clear that God does have a plan, and that He has predetermined that certain things should occur. This is made more clear by the numerous promises He makes throughout the Bible...for example, in the story of Abraham in the Old Testament, it is clear that God intended to make Abraham's descendants into a great nation, well before the nation of Israel ever came about. But before we are too quick to say that the existence of a divine plan is evidence against free will, we need to remember that our God is Almighty, and that it would be the height of arrogance to assume He needed our help to accomplish His designs. More importantly, saying that it was God's plan for the world to become marred and full of sin is to attribute evil intentions to God. The passage from John would seem to be sending a clearer message that our free will to choose to serve God has somehow been impaired; however, once again, a closer read reveals something different. Reading from 2 Peter 1:3-4 puts the verse in context. “as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” These two verses together give a more complete picture of the puzzle. When we fell in the garden and became sinful beings, our very nature as human beings was hardened against God, and we lost the ability and desire to seek Him. Just as God's nature as a perfect and holy being prevents Him from performing acts of evil, so too our nature as fallen and sinful beings prevented us from seeking Him. We were still free to do as we pleased, but our very nature stood in the way of our relationship with Him. That is of course, until He chose to free us from that bondage to sin, and He called ALL of us to Him through Jesus's sacrifice for us on the cross. We are still free to commit sinful acts, after all, we are still fallen beings, but God extended to us the ability and the desire to seek after Him as well, so that we need not be eternally separated from His love. In that context we can now see the verse from John 6, not as somehow declaring that God chooses who will serve and who won't, and that those of us who aren't chosen will be punished for a decision that wasn't ours, but rather as declaring that without His sacrifice, none of us could draw near to Him and that because of it that choice is now open to all of us who so desire. Now I want to look at three passages clearly showing that we are responsible for our actions, something which only makes sense if we are truly the ones making our decisions, and aren't just Lego men being played with by a being far greater than ourselves.
From Joshua 24:15 “And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose lands you dwell, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
From Luke 6:46 “But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do the things which I say?”

And finally, from the story of Job, 'One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."
"Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."
The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD. One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!" At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."
In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.'

Over and over again, the point is clear. We have the choice, and the responsibility to decide, whether to obey or to disobey. It doesn't make sense for Jesus to become frustrated with His disciples if as God it was in His will to make them do whatever suited His needs. Likewise, it simply doesn't make sense that God would allow Job to be tested in that manner if He was the one controlling Job's behavior, nor would it be significant that Job did not charge God with wrongdoing if it was simply because God was choosing to keep Job's mouth shut. We, and no one else, are responsible for our own actions. God certainly has a plan, and it's obviously a beautifully, marvelously intricate plan, but He also doesn't require our cooperation to bring it about, though we are showing love for Him whenever we choose to carry out his will. Everything that comes to pass happens through His design, and even when we make evil decisions, He can turn them to good.....remember the story of Joseph. The evil his brothers committed in selling him to slavery were the result of human sin, not God's actions. If God had somehow imposed a mental block or brainwashed all the brothers they would have been no more then puppets (like Aulë's dwarves, before Iluvatar breathed life into them).
In our search for knowledge and understanding of God and the universe we live in, there are some things we will never understand during this life, and it's okay that we understand only in part, for we are still children in God's eyes, and we can choose to trust Him and wait for the rest to be revealed. In 1 Corinthians 13:9-12, we are told “For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.”
That's all I really have to talk about tonight, but if you have questions, I would be delighted to answer them for you, either right after campfire, or tomorrow during free time, or you can just ask your very own counselors tonight, during devo's. Let's close in prayer.
calc84maniac wrote:
Say someone invented a device that can look into the future. If I look into your future and see that you will eat eggs for breakfast tomorrow, am I somehow forcing you to eat eggs? Certainly not.

Your assumption has a *massive* affect on the assertion, and thus your assertion is invalidated by your assumption.

It would be like someone saying that 2+2=4, and you come along and say "assuming 2 can equal 8, then 2+2={4, 10, 16}". Strictly speaking its true, but you are changing the environment to fit your assertion.

*BUT* if we assume your world is true (aka, that seeing into the future is possible), then QM would dictate that by observing the outcome you *ARE* affecting it, thus you *WOULD* be forcing me to eat eggs.

Of course, that is also ignoring things like the many world theories. That would allow for both free will and determinism, sort of.

Quote:
Funny you should say that. My dad has a book on the subject that's being published in the next year. A single-universe interpretation of QM allows for non-deterministic behavior, however I'm not sure how you see randomness as a better grounds for respect than predetermined behavior.

Better grounds as opposed to what? That god did it? Now you are starting to argue against respect entirely, not natural vs. spiritual.

Quote:
Instead, I think it's somewhat more likely that you don't understand the philosophical consequences of your own beliefs, which is why I've decided to make my recent arguments more in the vein of presuppositional apologetics.

Regardless of what you think is more likely, you are quite simply wrong. I fully know the philosophical consequences of my beliefs (which, again, I have not stated, nor will I).

Quote:
If you aren't a strict naturalist then please take the time to explain the nature of your spiritual beliefs, otherwise my point stands.

No.

Quote:
You seem to be fixated on a Calvinist view of God. Here are my lecture notes for a talk I gave this summer on the subject, tackling free will and predestination from both scientific and theological quarters.

*waaaay* too tl;dr.
i have to agree witht you on that last statement, my head hurts.
Kllrnohj wrote:
That would allow for both free will and determinism, sort of.

No. Permutational determinism is no better than the strict determinism of classical mechanics as far as free will is concerned.

Quote:
Better grounds as opposed to what?

Determinism. The two options available to naturalists are randomness or determinism, neither of which are "free will"

Quote:
Now you are starting to argue against respect entirely, not natural vs. spiritual

Quote:
How can you possibly define respect in a meaningful way without allowance for self-determined behavior? I don't respect cows, fish, flowers, slime mold, cellular automata or carbon atoms for being animated lumps of particles exhibiting probabilistic behavior, so why should I respect humans for the same? (I should note that as a Christian I respect all of the above as wondrous aspects of God's creation)

Quote:
which, again, I have not stated, nor will I

That's been blatantly obvious from the various contradicting viewpoints you've held in the debate threads we've had here on Cemetech which boil down to you espousing any viewpoint which will allow you to be critical of Christianity while attempting to dodge the current round of arguments in response.

Quote:
*waaaay* too tl;dr.

^_^ That's what happens when of the 2 people in a debate, one gives talks on a subject and the other is out for lulz. I thought you'd get bored/ADHD would kick in eventually.
elfprince13 wrote:
No. Permutational determinism is no better than the strict determinism of classical mechanics as far as free will is concerned.

There most certainly is free will in a many worlds theory. You are perfectly able to make any choice you desire.

Quote:
Determinism. The two options available to naturalists are randomness or determinism, neither of which are "free will"

Blatantly false.

Quote:
Quote:
Now you are starting to argue against respect entirely, not natural vs. spiritual

Quote:
How can you possibly define respect in a meaningful way without allowance for self-determined behavior? I don't respect cows, fish, flowers, slime mold, cellular automata or carbon atoms for being animated lumps of particles exhibiting probabilistic behavior, so why should I respect humans for the same? (I should note that as a Christian I respect all of the above as wondrous aspects of God's creation)

Bolding one of your earlier answers does not a relevant response make.

Quote:
That's been blatantly obvious from the various contradicting viewpoints you've held in the debate threads we've had here on Cemetech which boil down to you espousing any viewpoint which will allow you to be critical of Christianity while attempting to dodge the current round of arguments in response.

While I wouldn't say I've held contradicting viewpoints (because I haven't), I most certainly am critical of Christianity (indeed all religions). Yay, you've finally picked up on that Rolling Eyes

Quote:
^_^ That's what happens when of the 2 people in a debate, one gives talks on a subject and the other is out for lulz. I thought you'd get bored/ADHD would kick in eventually.

Dude, you wrote a freaking essay as a response for an *INTERNET ARGUMENT*. Besides, for all I know you give talks about teletubbies and your essay had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Kllrnohj wrote:
There most certainly is free will in a many worlds theory. You are perfectly able to make any choice you desire.
elfprince13 wrote:

Blatantly false

Somebody missed out on particle physics 101. The probabilistic distribution of wave function collapse into multiple realities does not constitute decision making on the part of the entity that is you, unless you're into some wacky variant of new-age "universal consciousness" BS.

On what grounds are you basing the assertion you are making a decision when (a) there is no actual "you" to speak of, just a collection of particle interactions (b) the particles that comprise "you" are carrying out all possible variants of your behavior across multiple universes, so it's not as if they even decided anything at all?

Quote:
Bolding one of your earlier answers does not a relevant response make.

You've failed twice to grasp the relevance of that statement, but I'm perfectly happy to let you have a 3rd go, if you think you can manage it this time around Wink

Quote:
While I wouldn't say I've held contradicting viewpoints (because I haven't), I most certainly am critical of Christianity (indeed all religions). Yay, you've finally picked up on that Rolling Eyes

You have consistently labeled belief in spirituality as being "crazy" while also more recently attempting to squirrel out from directed criticisms of naturalism by pointing out that you never claimed to be a naturalist. Nonetheless, spiritualism (or more accurately for the purpose of this debate, super-naturalism) and naturalism are both mutually exclusive and comprehensively cover the options, without any sort of middle ground. We can break this down to elementary deductive principles of you still fail to see the contradiction. Let us assign to P the truth value of the statement "Kllrnohj is a super-naturalist," therefore given ~P one can only deduce that the statement "Kllrnohj is a naturalist" is true. From your discussional history and previous assertions on this forum it is clear that ~P holds. However in this topic we also see your claim that I am the only one asserting that you a naturalist, meaning that you do not make such an assertion. Regardless of whether or not you are making that assertion, it is either true or false. If it is false, and thus the reason for your lack of assertion in that regard, we have both P and ~P, which is, by definition, a contradiction. If on the other hand your claim of non-contradiction is a true one, you have both admitted to ~P and asserted that you would not reveal the truth value of P, which is also a contradiction. If your claim of non-contradiction is false, then it is itself a contradiction, and we don't need to try and unravel things any further.

Quote:
Dude, you wrote a freaking essay as a response for an *INTERNET ARGUMENT*. Besides, for all I know you give talks about teletubbies and your essay had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Actually I wrote it 6 months ago Wink And obviously you would know if you'd read it.
http://rutube.ru/tracks/1466849.html
elfprince13 wrote:
Somebody missed out on particle physics 101. The probabilistic distribution of wave function collapse into multiple realities does not constitute decision making on the part of the entity that is you, unless you're into some wacky variant of new-age "universal consciousness" BS.

No, my point was that the illusion of free will and true free will are pointless distinctions in a many worlds universe. Free will therefore *does* exist in many worlds as it is guaranteed that you will make every choice, and the world that your (in this case you as a single instance in a single universe) consciousness ends up in is the one that has made the choices that he/she desires.

Unless you feel like trying to prove that I cannot make a choice in a many worlds universe? We both know that you can't, of course, but I figured I'd extend the offer.

Quote:
On what grounds are you basing the assertion you are making a decision when (a) there is no actual "you" to speak of, just a collection of particle interactions (b) the particles that comprise "you" are carrying out all possible variants of your behavior across multiple universes, so it's not as if they even decided anything at all?

Your point (a) is incredibly stupid. Its like saying there is no internet, just a bunch of electrons interacting. As for (b), see above.

Quote:
You've failed twice to grasp the relevance of that statement, but I'm perfectly happy to let you have a 3<sup>rd</sup> go, if you think you can manage it this time around Wink

You've failed twice to make a relevant response. I'm perfectly happy to let you have a 3rd go, if you think you can manage it this time around Wink

Quote:
You have consistently labeled belief in spirituality as being "crazy" while also more recently attempting to squirrel out from directed criticisms of naturalism by pointing out that you never claimed to be a naturalist. Nonetheless, spiritualism (or more accurately for the purpose of this debate, super-naturalism) and naturalism are both mutually exclusive and comprehensively cover the options, without any sort of middle ground.

This is where I point out that you still don't have an actual grasp of what naturalism is. Thus the rest of your logic exercise is pointless.

Quote:
We can break this down to elementary deductive principles of you still fail to see the contradiction. Let us assign to P the truth value of the statement "Kllrnohj is a super-naturalist," therefore given ~P one can only deduce that the statement "Kllrnohj is a naturalist" is true. From your discussional history and previous assertions on this forum it is clear that ~P holds. However in this topic we also see your claim that I am the only one asserting that you a naturalist, meaning that you do not make such an assertion. Regardless of whether or not you are making that assertion, it is either true or false. If it is false, and thus the reason for your lack of assertion in that regard, we have both P and ~P, which is, by definition, a contradiction. If on the other hand your claim of non-contradiction is a true one, you have both admitted to ~P and asserted that you would not reveal the truth value of P, which is also a contradiction. If your claim of non-contradiction is false, then it is itself a contradiction, and we don't need to try and unravel things any further.

While I've already pointed out that your pretext is flawed, your proof is also flawed. There is, of course, the possibility that I'm a hypocrite and/or that I am taking an opposing side to keep a debate going (as you have done before, for example)
I believe this is what elfprince is describing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysical_naturalism
Kllrnohj wrote:
No, my point was that the illusion of free will and true free will are pointless distinctions in a many worlds universe. Free will therefore *does* exist in many worlds as it is guaranteed that you will make every choice, and the world that your (in this case you as a single instance in a single universe) consciousness ends up in is the one that has made the choices that he/she desires.

Making every choice is, as far as free will is concerned, equivalent to making no choice at all. You're not free if you're being forced to act by collapsing wave functions. Schrödingers cat doesn't decide if it lives or dies.

Quote:
Your point (a) is incredibly stupid. Its like saying there is no internet, just a bunch of electrons interacting.

No one is debating whether the Internet is self aware, and if they were, that would still be my answer.

Quote:
This is where I point out that you still don't have an actual grasp of what naturalism is. Thus the rest of your logic exercise is pointless.

Quote:
I believe this is what elfprince is describing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysical_naturalism

What calc84maniac said. I'm not sure what "other naturalism" you thought we'd be discussing in a thread on theology, but the fact that it wasn't immediately obvious to you leaves me wondering what you're doing debating theology/philosophy in the first place. I shouldn't need to define basic terminology.

Quote:
While I've already pointed out that your pretext is flawed, your proof is also flawed. There is, of course, the possibility that I'm a hypocrite and/or that I am taking an opposing side to keep a debate going (as you have done before, for example)

Hypocrisy is, by definition, a contradiction between word and deed.
elfprince13 wrote:
Making every choice is, as far as free will is concerned, equivalent to making no choice at all. You're not free if you're being forced to act by collapsing wave functions. Schrödingers cat doesn't decide if it lives or dies.

Schrödingers cat doesn't decide if it lives or dies regardless of whether or not free will exists or not. I'm not sure you understand that thought experiment. See, the cat gets *KILLED* by a *RANDOM* event. Free will plays no role whatsoever.

Quote:
No one is debating whether the Internet is self aware, and if they were, that would still be my answer.

So your point is that since Object A is built out of Object B, Object A can no longer exist? Wow, just... wow....

Quote:
What calc84maniac said. I'm not sure what "other naturalism" you thought we'd be discussing in a thread on theology, but the fact that it wasn't immediately obvious to you leaves me wondering what you're doing debating theology/philosophy in the first place. I shouldn't need to define basic terminology.

Methodological naturalism, of course. You should at least learn the terminology before you decide to classify what is and isn't "basic", as again, you clearly lack a grasp of naturalism.

Quote:
Hypocrisy is, by definition, a contradiction between word and deed.

Funnily enough, *I* know what hypocrisy means (you don't, though, as it actually means "The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness."). That said, what was the point of posting that? It doesn't actually dispute what I said in any way.
actually I could care less about what you think

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours