While only part of my argument is Tu Quoque, Elf, I was also saying that complaining that people don't go to church with religious intentions is trivial and nothing compared to the far larger issues out there. I was not capitalizing that I was also wrong, or didn't intend to.

Quote:
Don't you dare try to defend your beloved fantasies of "religion" without posting sauce; it's done us more harm than good over the years; how many wars do you think were caused by differences in religion and culture? FUCKING ALL OF THEM.

Well done.
Its HISTORY TIME.

World War One wrote:

World War One had been long in the stockpiling; the spark was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, in Sarajevo on 28 June 1914.

Austria-Hungary's reaction to the death of their heir (who was in any case not greatly beloved by the Emperor, Franz Josef, or his government) was three weeks in coming. Arguing that the Serbian government was implicated in the machinations of the Black Hand (the group who had perpetrated the killing), the Austro-Hungarians opted to take the opportunity to stamp its authority upon the Serbians, crushing the nationalist movement there and cementing Austria-Hungary's influence in the Balkans.

It did so by issuing an ultimatum to Serbia which, in the extent of its demand that the assassins be brought to justice effectively nullified Serbia's sovereignty. Sir Edward Grey, the British Foreign Secretary, was moved to comment that he had "never before seen one State address to another independent State a document of so formidable a character."

Austria-Hungary's expectation was that Serbia would reject the remarkably severe terms of the ultimatum, thereby giving her a pretext for launching a limited war against Serbia.

However, Serbia had long had Slavic ties with Russia, an altogether different proposition for Austria-Hungary. Whilst not really expecting that Russia would be drawn into the dispute to any great extent other than through words of diplomatic protest, the Austro-Hungarian government sought assurances from her ally, Germany, that she would come to her aid should the unthinkable happen and Russia declared war on Austria-Hungary.
Germany readily agreed, even encouraged Austria-Hungary's warlike stance.

And so, it followed, Austria-Hungary, unsatisfied with Serbia's response to her ultimatum (which in the event was almost entirely placatory: however her jibbing over a couple of minor clauses gave Austria-Hungary her sought-after cue) declared war on Serbia on 28 July 1914.
Russia, bound by treaty to Serbia, announced mobilisation of its vast army in her defence, a slow process that would take around six weeks to complete. Germany viewed the Russian mobilisation as an act of war against Austria-Hungary, and after scant warning declared war on Russia on 1 August, and great tracts of the world, bound by treaty to each other, stood up also.

No religion here. Last time I checked, the Black Hand, a Serbian nationalist secret society was not religiously motivated. Nationalism is a political view. You can select it in your Facebook page.
You can read more here:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/origins/causes.htm

World War Two wrote:

After the establishment of the Treaty of Versailles, which contained:
War Guilt Clause - Germany should accept the blame for starting World War One,
Reparations - Germany had to pay £6,600 million for the damage caused by the war,
Disarmament - Germany was only allowed to have a small army and six naval ships. No tanks, no airforce and no submarines were allowed. The Rhineland area was to be de-militarised and,
Territorial Clauses - Land was taken away from Germany and given to other countries. Anschluss (union with Austria) was forbidden.
...the German people were very unhappy about the treaty and thought that it was too harsh. Germany could not afford to pay the money and during the 1920s the German people were reduced to a state of semi or full poverty. There were few jobs and the price of food and basic goods was high. People were dissatisfied with the government and voted to power a man who promised to rip up the Treaty of Versailles. His name was Adolf Hitler.

You can, of course, find the rest here.
http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW2/causes.htm

And, genius, Communism ain't a religion. No, it's a socio-political ideology and form of governance, not a theistic organization.
'm sure if you wish to employ the word 'religious' by it's lesser definition, then you could say that communism is followed 'religiously' by some.

Quote:
Logic fail. The crusades WERE caused by religion. 100% undeniably the fault of religion. Nothing else you claim is anywhere near as cut and dry - far from it. For example, there is no evidence whatsoever that video games caused Virginia Tech. The exact opposite can easily be claimed, however, as murder rates are at an all time low, less than *HALF* what they were 20 years ago. If anything, violent video games has led to a REDUCTION in violent crimes - a massive one at that.

I don't say your cat needs to die because it scratched me when it was a kitten.

I used such examples because its cultural stereotyping.
They are indeed the first things that spring to mind when IRL Drama is the issue, as equally as people who need to come up with an argument regarding religion always go to the crusades, every time.

And videogames? Surely they must have an effect on the human psyche. What worries me about these games is less the actual depiction of violence but more the context in which that violence is doled out. Of the hyper-violent, shooty type games, very rarely do we see one where you are a member of a close-knit community or can rely on your buddies, or whatever. Instead you tend to be a bitter and introverted loner who is "the best" at everything or has some kind of godlike weapons skill. Then, of course, there is the way that civilians are shown. Once, you had to save them; they were the whole focus of a game. Now, in the hyper-violent video games of today, they are just there. They're cattle. You can shoot them or not. And if you don't, they tend to get minced by hideous aliens anyway (See Prey and Prototype). Is it healthy for people to be sitting in a room (as the videogame haters among the politicians put it) "bathed in the light of your monitor", shooting pretend people with absolutely no consequences?

Quote:
You want modern examples? How about bans on medical research (stem cells, cloning, etc...), gay marriage, priests raping boys, role of women, attitudes to sex, etc...

Society is as society does. Have you read the Bible?
Jesus may speak against shellfish, but he sure as hell doesn't tell you to snatch up your nearest 10-year-old and get busy.
Last time I checked, the Bible didn't tell people to go and retake Jerusalem.
Medical research is a misnomer, and there are large amounts of people out there with no religious ties who feel disinclined about the whole thing anyway.

Quote:
Letting people starve while claiming on a weekly basis that you would help them is a "minor thing"? What the hell is wrong with you?
Its a minor thing.
Human Rights wrote:
Article 13.(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state. (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

After the fire cease between the government of Angola and UNITA in 2001, the number of people experiencing hunger reached 2 millions. 4.5 million people were refugees. The harassment and extortion amongst refugees is common, just like rapes.

As shown above, there are literally thousands more significant things then people starving on the streets.
Oh, and doesn't America have unemployment support?
you know what arguing accomplishes, Nothing! in the end most peoples personal opinion remains unchanged, they are just more PO'd then when they started
Hey man, I lived through Snackbar, I don't get annoyed when its not personal anymore. Its not worth it.

Sorry for the TL;DR!
Quote:
How about bans on medical research (stem cells, cloning, etc...)

Entirely a positive thing.

Quote:
gay marriage

As a libertarian I can *almost* agree with this one, though not because I think that homosexuality is anything resembling moral behavior, but because I believe we have been given the right to make decisions for ourselves--and live with the consequences--by God, and that man has no authority to take this away. But I also don't believe that the government should even be involved in regulating marriage, and that whether or not gay marriage should be legal is entirely the wrong debate.

Quote:
priests raping boys

That's not religion. That's a sicko who managed to worm his way into a position of trust.
Quote:
role of women

Galatians 3:28 wrote:
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
attitudes to sex

Again, I'd say that religion's influence in this arena is a positive thing. The world's highest profile medical crisis is the result of sexual behavior warned against by the Bible. And casual sex almost certainly has negative emotional consequences. The hormones/neurotransmitters (can't remember which and too lazy find the article) released during sex that are responsible for emotional bonding are released by no other human activity.
elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:

So if I die from a disease that could've been cured by stem cell research you'd be okay with that because it "doesn't mess with god's creations"?

Quote:
Quote:
attitudes to sex

Again, I'd say that religion's influence in this arena is a positive thing. The world's highest profile medical crisis is the result of sexual behavior warned against by the Bible. And casual sex almost certainly has negative emotional consequences. The hormones/neurotransmitters (can't remember which and too lazy find the article) released during sex that are responsible for emotional bonding are released by no other human activity.

You support the missionary position?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
So if I die from a disease that could've been cured by stem cell research you'd be okay with that because it "doesn't mess with god's creations"?

Stem cell research doesn't require embryos, and anyone who understands biology damn well knows it. I'm against (involuntarily) sacrificing one human life to save yours. And since I believe in the bodily resurrection, I also believe that physical death is not the ultimate evil, but rather the spiritual death of eternal separation from God.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

I'm tempted to make a joke here about the significant fraction of my family who are missionaries.
What is the missionary position?
lafferjm wrote:
It's a sex position where, while being as blunt as possible, the male lays on top of the the female during intercourse.
Like so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_position
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_position wrote:

The missionary position has been used at least for millennia if not longer since it is also used by the great apes as well as other primates. Robert Francoeur notes that evidence of the missionary position's use appears in ancient pottery and art in the Fertile Crescent as well as in the art of Early Greeks, Romans, Peruvians, Indians, Chinese and Japanese.
Although the Bible did not mention sexual positions, from the 6th to 16th centuries, church authorities taught that intercourse should be face-to-face, man-on-top, primarily because they believed that semen would flow with gravity, leading to conception. Exceptions were made for couples dealing with illness, obesity, or pregnancy. The medieval Catholic Church observed that animals copulated in the ventro-dorsal ("doggy style") position, and concluded that it was unnatural to humans.

And besides, i'm pretty sure, in the heat of it, people do what they want anyway.
lafferjm wrote:

!?

How old are you?

elrunethe2nd wrote:
I don't say your cat needs to die because it scratched me when it was a kitten.

Worst analogy ever. A far better one would be the Nazis rising back into a position of power and you stating that the Holocaust is history, they are the good guys now! That is how retarded you sound.

Quote:
And videogames? Surely they must have an effect on the human psyche. What worries me about these games is less the actual depiction of violence but more the context in which that violence is doled out. Of the hyper-violent, shooty type games, very rarely do we see one where you are a member of a close-knit community or can rely on your buddies, or whatever. Instead you tend to be a bitter and introverted loner who is "the best" at everything or has some kind of godlike weapons skill. Then, of course, there is the way that civilians are shown. Once, you had to save them; they were the whole focus of a game. Now, in the hyper-violent video games of today, they are just there. They're cattle. You can shoot them or not. And if you don't, they tend to get minced by hideous aliens anyway (See Prey and Prototype). Is it healthy for people to be sitting in a room (as the videogame haters among the politicians put it) "bathed in the light of your monitor", shooting pretend people with absolutely no consequences?

Do video games have an effect? Quite possibly, yes. Is that effect a NEGATIVE one? Absolutely not. See, while you can guess at what happens, I have factual data that says I'm right. I win, gg n00b.

Quote:
Jesus may speak against shellfish, but he sure as hell doesn't tell you to snatch up your nearest 10-year-old and get busy. Last time I checked, the Bible didn't tell people to go and retake Jerusalem.

Uh, yes it did. According to the bible (old testament), slavery, rape, murder, and war are all perfectly legit so long as it is in god's name or some bullshit like that. Go look at quotes from the bible that are incredibly evil at http://evilbible.com

Quote:
Medical research is a misnomer, and there are large amounts of people out there with no religious ties who feel disinclined about the whole thing anyway.

Irrelevant. This is about the church's position on things, not other peoples. I'm against letting you live, for example, but we aren't debating that.

Quote:
As shown above, there are literally thousands more significant things then people starving on the streets.
Oh, and doesn't America have unemployment support?

Like people starving in other countries? Wow, great example, idiot. Rolling Eyes

elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:

Bwahaha, no it isn't. Not even remotely.

Quote:
As a libertarian I can *almost* agree with this one, though not because I think that homosexuality is anything resembling moral behavior, but because I believe we have been given the right to make decisions for ourselves--and live with the consequences--by God, and that man has no authority to take this away. But I also don't believe that the government should even be involved in regulating marriage, and that whether or not gay marriage should be legal is entirely the wrong debate.

Fair enough, but you are agreeing with me, ultimately.

Quote:
That's not religion. That's a sicko who managed to worm his way into a position of trust.

True, but my point was more the Church using its position to try and cover it up.

Quote:
Quote:
role of women

Galatians 3:28 wrote:
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

A quote from the bible that isn't followed by the church proclaiming the bible basically just reinforces my point Wink

And, of course, there are dozens of bible quotes subjugating the role of women, so your quote is basically irrelevant.

Quote:

In some ways, perhaps, but things like teaching abstinence rather than sex ed is most assuredly harmful to teens. It is incredibly naive and risky, and serves only the purpose of ensuring that those teens aren't going to be prepared. Condoms, for example, are frowned upon by the church, yet greatly reduce the chance of spreading most STDs. So are forms of birth control, for example, as the church's position on sex is that it is purely for procreation, even among married couples. Sex *IS* a healthy part of a relationship.
Quote:
Worst analogy ever. A far better one would be the Nazis rising back into a position of power and you stating that the Holocaust is history, they are the good guys now! That is how retarded you sound.
Its a dem fine one.
A cat is a harmless beast. If I were to use your delightfully original idea, I would use Germans, not Nazis.
Also, Godwin's Law.

Videogames, especially violent ones, have been proven, scientifically, to cause:
-An increase in emotional disorder symptoms
-An increase in and behavioral disorder symptoms
-Declines in verbal memory performance
-Somatic complaints
-Attention problems such as hyperactivity, ADD or ADHD
-Detrimental school performance (as video game usage increases, GPA and SAT scores decrease)
-Family interaction problems such as less positive parental relations
-Significant reduced amounts of slow-wave (REM) sleep
-Modifications in visual selective attention
-Playing violent video games is a significant risk factor for later physically aggressive behavior

Research shows that children are spending increasing amounts of time playing video games - 13 hours per week for boys, on average, and 5 hours per week for girls (Anderson, Gentile, & Buckley, under review; Gentile, Lynch, Linder, & Walsh, 2004). A 2001 content analyses by the research organization Children Now shows that a majority of video games include violence, about half of which would result in serious injuries or death in the 'real' world. Children often say their favorite video games are violent. What is the result of all this video game 'mayhem'?

Dr. Anderson and colleagues have shown that playing a lot of violent video games is related to having more aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors (Anderson & Bushman, 2001). Furthermore, playing violent games is also related to children being less willing to be caring and helpful towards their peers. Importantly, research has shown that these effects happen just as much for non-aggressive children as they do for children who already have aggressive tendencies (Anderson et al., under review; Gentile et al., 2004).

I accept that the negative effects of video games will not always be recognized by their enthusiasts, but, damnit, you are in denial here. You think videogames are harmless? Their existence has created Warcraft culture; an age of people who spend more time in that blasted thing than outside. I have lost my best friends to that time-sucking monster. Warcraft has killed people. People actually died from playing too much Warcraft. How is that a good thing?

There is a TRUCKLOAD of research behind these facts.
Cited Sources:
Pediatrics 2008 Nov;122(5):e1067-72
European Psychiatry 2008 Apr;23(3):212-8
Journal of Psychiatry Research 2008 Mar;42(4):253-8
Pediatrics 2007 Nov;120(5):978-85
Cyberpsychology & Behavior 2007 Aug;10(4):552-9
Psychological Science 2007 Jan;18(1):88-94
Pediatrics 2006 Oct;118(4):e1061-70
Anderson, C.A., Berkowitz, L., Donnerstein, E., Huesmann, L.R., Johnson, J., Linz, D., Malamuth, N., & Wartella, E. (2003). The influence of media violence on youth. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, Vol. 4, pp. 81-110.
Anderson, C. A. & Bushman, B. J. (2001). Effects of violent games on aggressive behavior, aggressive cognition, aggressive affect, physiological arousal, and prosocial behavior: A meta-analytic review of the scientific literature. Psychological Science, Vol. 12, pp. 353-359.
Anderson, C. A., Gentile, D. A., & Buckley, K. E. (under review). Violent Video Game Effects on Children and Adolescents: Further Developments and Tests of the General Aggression Model.
Buchman, D. D., & Funk, J. B. (1996). Video and computer games in the '90s: Children's time commitment and game preference. Children Today, Vol. 24, pp. 12-16.
Children Now. (2001). Fair play? Violence, gender and race in video games. Los Angeles, CA: Children Now.
Dietz, T. L. (1998). An examination of violence and gender role portrayals in video games: Implications for gender socialization and aggressive behavior. Sex Roles, Vol. 38, pp. 425-442.
Dill, K. E., Gentile, D. A., Richter, W. A., & Dill, J. C. (2001, August). Portrayal of women and minorities in video games. Paper presented at the 109th Annual Conference of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA.
Federal Trade Commission (2003, October 14). Results of nationwide undercover survey released. [Press release.] Washington, DC: Federal Trade Commission. Available: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/10/shopper.htm
Funk, J. B. (1993). Reevaluating the impact of video games. Clinical Pediatrics, Vol. 32, pp. 86-90.
Gentile, D. A. & Anderson, C. A. (2003). Violent video games: The newest media violence hazard. In D. A. Gentile (Ed.), Media violence and children. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishing.
Gentile, D. A., Lynch, P. J., Linder, J. R., & Walsh, D. A. (2004). The effects of violent video game habits on adolescent aggressive attitudes and behaviors. Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 27, pp. 5-22.
Robinson, T.N., Wilde, M.L., Navracruz, L.C., Haydel, K.F., & Varady, A. (2001). Effects of reducing children's television and video game use on aggressive behavior: A randomized controlled trial. Archives of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine, Vol. 155, pp. 17-23.
Walsh, D. A., & Gentile, D. A. (2001). A validity test of movie, television, and videogame ratings. Pediatrics, Vol. 107, pp. 1302-1308.[/i]
Quote:
Jesus may speak against shellfish

Actually, that's Israelite law as codified in the Old Testament, not Jesus. Christianity removed the dietary restrictions.
Romans 14 wrote:
Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.' " So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Quote:
slavery

basic research, plzkthx. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism_and_slavery
Quote:
Judaism has been intertwined with slavery, both as an ideological and conceptual basis. Slavery was customary in antiquity and during the Middle Ages, and the slave trade was taken for granted by all groups. A common misnomer is to equate the African slave trade with these earlier concepts that were often more like indentured servitude. Judaism (through the Bible or Rabbinical Rules)included rules that authorized and regulated conditions and treatments of slaves, including the required release after seven years with enough funds to get started in life. This was an unusual improvement over other regional cultures at the time.

Quote:
rape

I found several passages that talked about rape as a crime. I even found one about capturing brides at Jabesh Gilead, which interestingly wasn't sanctioned by God, but was instead suggested by the Israelite assembly during one of the times of rebellion against God. I know you're likely to try and cite Deutoronomy 21 at me, so I'll point out that interestingly enough it does not justify rape. It says that a captive woman may be taken in marriage after she has observed a month of mourning.
Quote:
When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

Quote:
murder and war are all perfectly legit so long as it is in god's name or some bullshit like that.

Point of order: there is a distinction between "in God's name" and doing something because God told you too. I believe that (a) God is the only one with authority over human life, because He created us in His image, and that (b) He is a totally fair judge. If He tells me that someone must be killed, then it's the height of arrogance for me to tell the creator of the universe that He doesn't know what He's talking about and that that person is probably ok and should be left alone. If on the other hand someone else is getting all worked up about how evil someone is and how they need to die to preserve God's honor, then I'm more likely to quote Gandalf at them.
Quote:
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Quote:
Bwahaha, no it isn't. Not even remotely.

Justify that statement. Or any of your statements regarding morality (for example "incredibly evil") with an explanation of their origin in your worldview. From what I've seen, you're a pretty strict naturalist, so this should be fairly entertaining to watch you attempt. When I challenged people to do this on Thursday they had no response and resorted to drawing pictures of my face in their notebook and scribbling on it.

Quote:
Fair enough, but you are agreeing with me, ultimately.

And in doing so forcing you to realize that religion isn't at fault for unreasoning extremism. Demagoguery and poor education are.

Quote:
True, but my point was more the Church using its position to try and cover it up.

I'm not here defend "the Church" as a single entity, when in reality it's endlessly fractured, and especially not the Catholic church, whose history (along with that of Islam) is the embodiment of why instituting something as state religion is a bad idea.

Quote:
A quote from the bible that isn't followed by the church proclaiming the bible basically just reinforces my point Wink

I've attended exactly one church in my life that didn't teach gender equality.

Quote:
And, of course, there are dozens of bible quotes subjugating the role of women, so your quote is basically irrelevant.

Quote me some of that sweet Christ-spoken subjugation.

Kllrnohj wrote:
In some ways, perhaps, but things like teaching abstinence rather than sex ed is most assuredly harmful to teens. It is incredibly naive and risky, and serves only the purpose of ensuring that those teens aren't going to be prepared. Condoms, for example, are frowned upon by the Catholic church, yet greatly reduce the chance of spreading most STDs. So are forms of birth control, for example, as the Catholic church's position on sex is that it is purely for procreation, even among married couples.

Fixed that for you.

While I agree that it's important for teens (who are going to have sex) to be practicing safe behavior, the best way for that to happen is for parents to take responsibility. I don't necessarily disagree that sex ed should be taught in schools, though it's unfortunate that most American parents are too wussed out to do the job properly themselves.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Sex *IS* a healthy part of a relationship.

Absolutely. The Bible teaches this.
Kllrnohj wrote:
lafferjm wrote:

!?

How old are you?

Old enough, I just wanted to see if someone would answer the question.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Quote:
Its a dem fine one.
A cat is a harmless beast. If I were to use your delightfully original idea, I would use Germans, not Nazis.
Also, Godwin's Law.

Videogames, especially violent ones, have been proven, scientifically, to cause:
-Somatic complaints
-Detrimental school performance (as video game usage increases, GPA and SAT scores decrease)
-Playing violent video games is a significant risk factor for later physically aggressive behavior

Research shows that children are spending increasing amounts of time playing video games - 13 hours per week for boys, on average, and 5 hours per week for girls (Anderson, Gentile, & Buckley, under review; Gentile, Lynch, Linder, & Walsh, 2004). A 2001 content analyses by the research organization Children Now shows that a majority of video games include violence, about half of which would result in serious injuries or death in the 'real' world. Children often say their favorite video games are violent. What is the result of all this video game 'mayhem'?

Dr. Anderson and colleagues have shown that playing a lot of violent video games is related to having more aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors (Anderson & Bushman, 2001). Furthermore, playing violent games is also related to children being less willing to be caring and helpful towards their peers. Importantly, research has shown that these effects happen just as much for non-aggressive children as they do for children who already have aggressive tendencies (Anderson et al., under review; Gentile et al., 2004).

I accept that the negative effects of video games will not always be recognized by their enthusiasts, but, damnit, you are in denial here. You think videogames are harmless? Their existence has created Warcraft culture; an age of people who spend more time in that blasted thing than outside. I have lost my best friends to that time-sucking monster. Warcraft has killed people. People actually died from playing too much Warcraft. How is that a good thing?

There is a TRUCKLOAD of research behind these facts.
Cited Sources:
Pediatrics 2008 Nov;122(5):e1067-72
European Psychiatry 2008 Apr;23(3):212-8
Journal of Psychiatry Research 2008 Mar;42(4):253-8
Pediatrics 2007 Nov;120(5):978-85
Cyberpsychology & Behavior 2007 Aug;10(4):552-9
Psychological Science 2007 Jan;18(1):88-94
Pediatrics 2006 Oct;118(4):e1061-70
Anderson, C.A., Berkowitz, L., Donnerstein, E., Huesmann, L.R., Johnson, J., Linz, D., Malamuth, N., & Wartella, E. (2003). The influence of media violence on youth. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, Vol. 4, pp. 81-110.
Anderson, C. A. & Bushman, B. J. (2001). Effects of violent games on aggressive behavior, aggressive cognition, aggressive affect, physiological arousal, and prosocial behavior: A meta-analytic review of the scientific literature. Psychological Science, Vol. 12, pp. 353-359.
Anderson, C. A., Gentile, D. A., & Buckley, K. E. (under review). Violent Video Game Effects on Children and Adolescents: Further Developments and Tests of the General Aggression Model.
Buchman, D. D., & Funk, J. B. (1996). Video and computer games in the '90s: Children's time commitment and game preference. Children Today, Vol. 24, pp. 12-16.
Children Now. (2001). Fair play? Violence, gender and race in video games. Los Angeles, CA: Children Now.
Dietz, T. L. (1998). An examination of violence and gender role portrayals in video games: Implications for gender socialization and aggressive behavior. Sex Roles, Vol. 38, pp. 425-442.
Dill, K. E., Gentile, D. A., Richter, W. A., & Dill, J. C. (2001, August). Portrayal of women and minorities in video games. Paper presented at the 109th Annual Conference of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA.
Federal Trade Commission (2003, October 14). Results of nationwide undercover survey released. [Press release.] Washington, DC: Federal Trade Commission. Available: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/10/shopper.htm
Funk, J. B. (1993). Reevaluating the impact of video games. Clinical Pediatrics, Vol. 32, pp. 86-90.
Gentile, D. A. & Anderson, C. A. (2003). Violent video games: The newest media violence hazard. In D. A. Gentile (Ed.), Media violence and children. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishing.
Gentile, D. A., Lynch, P. J., Linder, J. R., & Walsh, D. A. (2004). The effects of violent video game habits on adolescent aggressive attitudes and behaviors. Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 27, pp. 5-22.
Robinson, T.N., Wilde, M.L., Navracruz, L.C., Haydel, K.F., & Varady, A. (2001). Effects of reducing children's television and video game use on aggressive behavior: A randomized controlled trial. Archives of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine, Vol. 155, pp. 17-23.
Walsh, D. A., & Gentile, D. A. (2001). A validity test of movie, television, and videogame ratings. Pediatrics, Vol. 107, pp. 1302-1308.[/i]

And there are just as many studies to prove the opposite
http://www.google.com/search?q=violent+video+games+not+bad
elfprince13 wrote:
Justify that statement. Or any of your statements regarding morality (for example "incredibly evil") with an explanation of their origin in your worldview. From what I've seen, you're a pretty strict naturalist, so this should be fairly entertaining to watch you attempt. When I challenged people to do this on Thursday they had no response and resorted to drawing pictures of my face in their notebook and scribbling on it.

(I skipped all the bible related stuff as we've gone down that road before - it just ends up going in circles)

Justify what? That cloning and stem cell research have the potential to save hundreds of thousands of lives? You're a goddamn idiot if you believe otherwise.

Let me ask you something, at what point does a collection of cells become sacred life?

Quote:
And in doing so forcing you to realize that religion isn't at fault for unreasoning extremism. Demagoguery and poor education are.

Let me remind you this thread is about the Catholic Church, *NOT* religion.

Quote:
I'm not here defend "the Church" as a single entity, when in reality it's endlessly fractured, and especially not the Catholic church, whose history (along with that of Islam) is the embodiment of why instituting something as state religion is a bad idea.

Then why are you in this thread? :p

Quote:
I've attended exactly one church in my life that didn't teach gender equality.

And yet there isn't gender equality in the church itself. That is my point. Typical hypocritical bullshit.

[quote]Quote me some of that sweet Christ-spoken subjugation.
Quote:

Whole list of passages here: http://www.evilbible.com/sexism_in_the_torah.htm

Quote:
Fixed that for you.

The only thing you fixed is that you finally grasped the context of this topic Wink

Quote:
While I agree that it's important for teens (who are going to have sex) to be practicing safe behavior, the best way for that to happen is for parents to take responsibility. I don't necessarily disagree that sex ed should be taught in schools, though it's unfortunate that most American parents are too wussed out to do the job properly themselves.

True, although it can also be more comfortable for the teens to discuss it with someone other than their parents as well.

[quote="elrunethe2nd"]Its a dem fine one.
Also, Godwin's Law.

The crusades weren't "harmless" by any stretch of the imagination, which is why your analogy was not in any way good. Also, it WOULD be the Nazis, not the Germans. Catholics didn't cause the crusades (equivalent of Germans), the CHURCH did (aka, Nazis).

Quote:
-Somatic complaints

Quite simply no they haven't. And while correlation is not causation, the generation growing up on violent video games is the most peaceful generation in recorded history. Chew on that one for a while.

Quote:
I accept that the negative effects of video games will not always be recognized by their enthusiasts, but, damnit, you are in denial here.

No I'm not, I just have better data.

Quote:
You think videogames are harmless?

Yup, cause they are.

Quote:
Their existence has created Warcraft culture; an age of people who spend more time in that blasted thing than outside. I have lost my best friends to that time-sucking monster. Warcraft has killed people. People actually died from playing too much Warcraft. How is that a good thing?

Video games didn't kill anyone, an ADDICTION killed them. Anything fun can easily turn into an addiction, it doesn't make that fun thing dangerous at all.
Quote:
The crusades weren't "harmless" by any stretch of the imagination, which is why your analogy was not in any way good. Also, it WOULD be the Nazis, not the Germans. Catholics didn't cause the crusades (equivalent of Germans), the CHURCH did (aka, Nazis).

Dude, are you soft in the head?
Catholicism is a branch of Christianity as a whole, which can be divided into Anglicanism, Catholicism, etc..
You just made Catholics represent the majority that was Germany, with the Christian Church as a whole representing the lesser entity; the Nazi Party. The Christian Church is the larger entity here.

And it was Catholicism under which the Crusades were began, seeing as it was the only form of Christianity back then in 1095, apart from the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Furthermore, it was started by warlike men, not by the Bible.
Notably the immediate cause of the First Crusade was the Byzantine emperor Alexios I's appeal to Pope Urban II for mercenaries to help him resist Muslim advances into territory of the Byzantine Empire. THE CHURCH DIDN'T START IT AT ALL. Alexios did.

My analogy was fine, because Christianity is pretty harmless nowadays. Unlike Neo-nazis, who bash and persecute people even today.

Besides, last time I checked USA has the dole. Somalia, Cambodia and all these other poor places sure as hell don't. I know which I consider the more serious situation.
Quote:
I played Unreal Tournament and Doom in high school and got a 1600 on the SAT. Very Happy Other than that I'm staying out of this thread.
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
I played Unreal Tournament and Doom in high school and got a 1600 on the SAT. Very Happy Other than that I'm staying out of this thread.

Make note of the fact that this was back when the SAT was two parts, not three. A 1600 today is less than a standard deviation about the mean, as opposed to three.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Justify what?

You clearly seem to have a definition of what good and evil are. Define them, and more importantly provide your reasoning for that definition, because you like to toss those words around a lot. Why exactly is it that forcing yourself on a woman is wrong? And why is saving un-evolutionarily productive human lives a worthwhile endeavour? I have some pretty clear theological answers to both of those questions. You don't seem to have anything on the subject other than "I don't like what you're saying about God and spirituality, so you're wrong." Quite honestly, if you disagree with my theology, I'm okay with that, though I think it's your loss. But if you're going to throw around terms like good and evil, you need to define them, because as far as I can see, the terms are meaningless outside a belief in the spiritual reality of our universe, which (without an explanation from yourself) leaves you in the rather curious position of relying on a Christian framework for defining morality in order to attack Christian theology.

Kllrnohj wrote:
That cloning and stem cell research have the potential to save hundreds of thousands of lives? You're a a idiot if you believe otherwise.

At the expense of how many more? And like I pointed out already, the controversy is over embryonic stem cells, which is far from the only source.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Let me ask you something, at what point does a collection of cells become sacred life?

Rolling Eyes You have to put the pin down somewhere on the continuum. There's no single point between conception and birth where the embryo becomes a (biological) human. The only clear points are birth (and accepting that as the moment leads to all sorts of wonderful things like partial birth abortion, and the idea that premature babies aren't human yet), and conception which is the first time when there's biological potential for human life. Almost every Christian I know chooses to take the latter, because it's better to err on the side of caution then to throw a pin down at an arbitrary point along the line.

Quote:
Let me remind you this thread is about the Catholic Church, *NOT* religion.

There was close to a page of discussion about things-not-the-Catholic-church, namely American churchgoers as a general population, before you decided to change the topic.

Quote:
And yet there isn't gender equality in the church itself. That is my point. Typical hypocritical bullshit.

Oh really? Which is why we have a gender-balanced deaconate board and board of trustees, and a female substitute pastor?

Quote:

Most of the claims on that list are laughable because they leave out half the equation (women can't wear men's clothing? OH NO, OH THE INEQUALITY. OH WAIT. Men can't wear women's clothing either.), menstrual cycles are unclean? damn straight they are. There's blood. Coming out of you. Blood transmits disease. Likewise, a man's nocturnal emissions are also unclean. All the pre-exodus stories, with the exception of The Fall, don't even relate to God. I'm not going to bother with the passages that DO relate, because like you said, we've gone around in circles with them, but I should point out, that you're STILL conspicuously lacking in Christ-spoken subjugation of women.

Quote:
True, although it can also be more comfortable for the teens to discuss it with someone other than their parents as well.

Like I said, cultural failings. Mom explained sperm and eggs to me when I was maybe 6. Whenever I had a question it was explained to me, and there were at least several conversations about sexual morality.

Quote:

Nope. The government did.
elfprince13 wrote:
You clearly seem to have a definition of what good and evil are. Define them, and more importantly provide your reasoning for that definition, because you like to toss those words around a lot. Why exactly is it that forcing yourself on a woman is wrong? And why is saving un-evolutionarily productive human lives a worthwhile endeavour? I have some pretty clear theological answers to both of those questions. You don't seem to have anything on the subject other than "I don't like what you're saying about God and spirituality, so you're wrong." Quite honestly, if you disagree with my theology, I'm okay with that, though I think it's your loss. But if you're going to throw around terms like good and evil, you need to define them, because as far as I can see, the terms are meaningless outside a belief in the spiritual reality of our universe, which (without an explanation from yourself) leaves you in the rather curious position of relying on a Christian framework for defining morality in order to attack Christian theology.

My definitions of "good" and "evil" can be summed up as simply: Don't be a dick. "Good" is letting others live their lives, "evil" is forcing harmful (mental or physical) actions upon them. God/religion/spiritualness doesn't give good and evil meaning, people do and always have.

As for saving people, who says they are un-evolutionary? For example, lets say I get in a car accident and could have been saved if it wasn't for people like yourself. I'm damn important to evolution, and my last act would be to kill you, just a heads up.

Quote:
At the expense of how many more? And like I pointed out already, the controversy is over embryonic stem cells, which is far from the only source.

None? Embryonic stem cells isn't the only issue (but I'm for it). Things like cloning and other research (which doesn't cost any lives) is also staunchly opposed by the church.

Quote:
Rolling Eyes You have to put the pin down somewhere on the continuum. There's no single point between conception and birth where the embryo becomes a (biological) human. The only clear points are birth (and accepting that as the moment leads to all sorts of wonderful things like partial birth abortion, and the idea that premature babies aren't human yet), and conception which is the first time when there's biological potential for human life. Almost every Christian I know chooses to take the latter, because it's better to err on the side of caution then to throw a pin down at an arbitrary point along the line.

There are other potential points. For example, when blood flows through the embryo's veins (which was one of the church's old markers for when life begins, by the way).

To me, the difference is intent. If an embryo is fertilized and allowed to grow with the intent of being killed in a week, then I'm cool with it. I don't see it as killing life at all - no more than we consider killing bacteria killing life.

Quote:
There was close to a page of discussion about things-not-the-Catholic-church, namely American churchgoers as a general population, before you decided to change the topic.

I started this topic, it wasn't changed. I'd suggest you go take a look at the OP and/or thread title. If you want to discuss something else, start a new thread.

Quote:
Oh really? Which is why we have a gender-balanced deaconate board and board of trustees, and a female substitute pastor?

Ya rly. Again, we are talking about the catholic church (you know, 'cause this is about the VATICAN).

Quote:
but I should point out, that you're STILL conspicuously lacking in Christ-spoken subjugation of women.

Why is Christ-spoken passages now the deciding element? The Catholic Church still deals in the Old Testament as well, which is way easier to target.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours