since we are going to have protection for user names is it also possible to have user groups? clans like the Devil-Dogs can use it to Identify their clan and it could be used to automatically grant privileges, set team, change who can open doors, or even if you can get on the server at all
Seeing as we have integration with the Cemetech login database, it might make sense to make use of the phpBB's built in usergroup functionality. I'll have to see what Kerm thinks. That's not an immediate priority (i.e. something that would be in the demo), but it's certainly worth considering.
I wonder if the userbase can support it at its current size.
'Tis indeed something worth considering, and it would be pretty easy to expose the members of a group as a fetchable parameter to servers, but I'd have to see proof that that would actually add a lot to the game; as Elrune says (or I think it's what he means), there's not that many users yet that it would be a great boon.
Well, my greatest consideration, as I have been thinking about this for a while, is whether the community can support a clan.
Clans thrive off rivalry or challenge, as that inspires people to collaborate and stick together. As the TBM userbase will be a good amount of the people who will play TBG first, I keep my opinion that the TBM community is a bit small in active and dedicated players to support such relationships.

Plus, as has been seen with the Blockland community, unmanaged clans can easily become a mire of fighting with no visible progress.

I think it would certainly be influenced by how many people supplemented the initial numbers and how they managed initial clan formation. While the TBM forum does say 2034 registered members, it must be noted that only perhaps 8 of those play for large tracts of the day and provide the most support to other more casual players, the numbers of which vary between 10 and 20 or occasionally more.

AFAIK, the [DD] (Devil Dogz) clan has managed itself quite well, and has the occasional organized DM and whatnot, and generally (Outside of roleplay (to my eternal chagrin)) rarely bothers anyone.
My only concern with the encouragement of clan organization is, as everyone else has mentioned, the community is far too small. Encouraging the development and organization of competitive clans or groups will segregate the community, regardless of inter-clan friendships. I would personally like to see the whole community united, instead of separated by, and organized into, clans.
Notably, clan [DD] has not exhibited signs of antisocial or anti clan behavior.
hmm, this is actually very true, and I'm not sure we want to encourage clannish behavior.
About the community, i think most of the RTB players will want to see the game :D And it is like 60 people for now :P

I will make an announcement if you give out demo or something.
I'm sure a lot of people will want to play. I'm hoping to draw in some of the older userbase of the LDraw community as well when I'm done implementing LDraw support.
Yea, I think that people will still make clans no matter how we run this, but I don't think we should encourage them. I am sure there will be quite a few (I am sure there will be people from Retail checking it out as well) people playing, but that doesn't mean we should encourage clans.
Quote:
Yea, I think that people will still make clans no matter how we run this, but I don't think we should encourage them.

This was the decider for me when I originally considered this.
Perhaps just make it ready and see how people react to the game first?
indeedy.
I wasn't thinking of making clans from the current community
I was thinking getting more users by having groups join the community
Can you explain this more in-depth a bit, so we understand a little better? Smile
He means that if we program in support for group management, he thinks pre-existing gaming clans will be more likely to play.
Schrödinger wrote:
But why would it be necessary to segregate them into groups within the TBG community? Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you're talking purely about marketing.
KermMartian wrote:
Schrödinger wrote:
But why would it be necessary to segregate them into groups within the TBG community? Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you're talking purely about marketing.
These are exactly the questions I was asking myself. Please clarify this, Erwin (lol) Smile
swivelgames wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Schrödinger wrote:
These are exactly the questions I was asking myself. Please clarify this, Erwin (0x5) Smile
Oh, you're so clever with your science history references. Very Happy But yeah, seconded, I'd like to understand correctly what exactly you're recommending, Schrödinger.
KermMartian wrote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you're talking purely about marketing.

This. at least from what he's saying, that's what it sounds like. I'm more and more thinking this is something we DON'T want to encourage, and that if someone cares enough that they're willing to write code themselves, well that's why we designed FreeBuild to be so extensible.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours