That's what I was thinking of - it's nice to make the maps available when playing, but it does mean you tend to miss the match. Having a centralised map repository would be handy to avoid this issue, and if it used SVN or a similar centralised revision control system it would make it easy for people to update as files changed. SVN also compresses diffs.
The goal of the Google Doc Map List I setup was to have a centralised map centre. At some point I wanted to make a web page that listed all the files with Information regarding player size and stuff. I never imagined it to be an SVN repository, but if I ever get around to actually making the page, I'll look into the possibility.

I should also have all the maps (with URL's in the spreadsheet) somewhere on an old external drive. I'll dig around on Monday or tomorrow if I have time before family arrives.
I have a quick question, when you download a map from a server, where the heck does it go? I am really confused as I cannot find the physical map on my hard drive after downloading it from a server, as compared to downloading it manually and putting it in my map folder
Check the Cache folder, and there should be a cache.ini file. If you look through it, it tells you what files in the directory correspond to what maps. Then you can just move the files out of that directory and put them in the correct one. For instance, my Cache.ini file has:
Code:
[Cache]
75E688FF467F6B5B98DDBA9AF0BDAE77-1=ONSNewTank-A.ukx
F67278394BD62EAD72757397B0997D74-1=PhaseShift.u
88DC209E4946D4A0F5D29389291A0CB4-1=VCTF-XtremeCircle.ut2
A938396246E87BEE32E5339EED556963-1=BenTropicalSM01.usx
737B4F0A4A301A836D3EED875526052A-11=OnslaughtBP.u
0D9391EB4BCD3C1B3C513D83375A745E-1=EONSLocustSM.usx

So, I would move "88DC209E4946D4A0F5D29389291A0CB4-1" into my Maps folder and rename it to VCTF-XtremeCircle.ut2 and then delete that line out of the Cache.ini file Smile
benryves wrote:
Could whoever is hosting the server not provide all the maps from there to make it easier? Even better would be if they could be made available over something like SVN, as that would make updating very easy.
As mentioned, I'm trying to fly below the bandwidth radar with this server, so I try to avoid hundreds of megabytes of downloads (or hundreds of MBps, at least) from map downloads. Decaching is a good trick, though, and there are some great tools that make decaching totally painless.
Kerm, could we get a complete list of maps from the server so we can have them all downloaded before going to the server (and wouldn't need to download anything but maybe a few small mods/textures from the server)?
Beta7 wrote:
Kerm, could we get a complete list of maps from the server so we can have them all downloaded before going to the server (and wouldn't need to download anything but maybe a few small mods/textures from the server)?
I believe that ComicIDIOT's excellent spreadsheet is almost completely up-to-date.
_player1537 wrote:
Check the Cache folder, and there should be a cache.ini file. If you look through it, it tells you what files in the directory correspond to what maps. Then you can just move the files out of that directory and put them in the correct one. For instance, my Cache.ini file has:
Code:
[Cache]
75E688FF467F6B5B98DDBA9AF0BDAE77-1=ONSNewTank-A.ukx
F67278394BD62EAD72757397B0997D74-1=PhaseShift.u
88DC209E4946D4A0F5D29389291A0CB4-1=VCTF-XtremeCircle.ut2
A938396246E87BEE32E5339EED556963-1=BenTropicalSM01.usx
737B4F0A4A301A836D3EED875526052A-11=OnslaughtBP.u
0D9391EB4BCD3C1B3C513D83375A745E-1=EONSLocustSM.usx

So, I would move "88DC209E4946D4A0F5D29389291A0CB4-1" into my Maps folder and rename it to VCTF-XtremeCircle.ut2 and then delete that line out of the Cache.ini file Smile

Ah, great, I tried it, and it seems to work pretty good, thanks Catherine.
Sooo, we haven't had many games lately. Shall we get back in action? Smile
And Kerm I'd say that is mostly your's and possibly Sara's fault for us not having opportunities to play. ;P
TheStorm wrote:
And Kerm I'd say that is mostly your's and possibly Sara's fault for us not having opportunities to play. ;P
Well, Sara is super-busy with tests, and I can't even express how much free time I don't have, so it's mostly just my fault. Smile
*bump* Just installed UT2k4 on Sara's computer; a note for Windows 7 computers. If UT keeps warning you about the Windows Firewall and refusing to show the server browser, even if you have added an exception, you should add the following code to your ut2004.ini file:

Code:
[FireWall]
IgnoreSP2=1

The .ini file is in the System folder in your UT install.
*bumpity bump* Our UT2004 server lives, now on a dedicated server! For the first time, a public announcement of the IP (no, this wasn't it before): ut.cemetech.net. It requires a (private) password, which you can ask us for in SAX.
DM-BETA-Funnel-Cross-DUAL-[1]
DM-Elsinore]i[-Beta2
VCTF-Suspense2K4-Beta8

These maps have bad links in the google doc, just so people are aware.
Our server now has a very fast file server for serving maps, so just join the server and switch to each of those maps. Your client will be able to grab them very quickly.
Okay. I think I'll just do the same for those pesky mesh/texture files for the sniper rifle and a couple other things that were always annoyingly difficult to find. Thanks.
Guys UT is currently $2.50 on GoG, seriously pick it up now! http://www.gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_2004_ece
Poke: I am holding #cemetech-ut for possible IRC linking. Dropping the link for an IRC linker: http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9798
Port 7787 is blocked on the server preventing server information from being looked up by clients and server browsers which could be used for alerting those joined to #cemetech-ut when players start joining the server as a way to invite others on.
TinyBlub finally has a plugin made that will announce matches in #cemetech-ut. It is still rough as I just got basic functionality coded, but for a snippit of it in action:
#cemetech-mc wrote:
[23:28:35] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Abrum, Red Team, Blue Team joined playing [TeamArenaMaster] DM-Morpheus3
[23:29:35] <EinHelfer> Todo: Remove the AI, flush the UDP recv buffer (no idea how in python), add timeout for %ut, add in a delay for info when a map changes
[23:30:07] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Caboose joined
[23:43:00] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Caboose, [Z80]Abrum, Red Team, Blue Team left
[23:43:01] <TinyBlub> UT: 0/12 players are now playing [TeamArenaMaster] DM-TrainingDay ()
[23:43:11] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Abrum, [Z80]Caboose, Red Team, Blue Team joined playing [TeamArenaMaster] DM-TrainingDay
[23:49:58] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Abrum, [Z80]Caboose, Red Team, Blue Team left
[23:49:59] <TinyBlub> UT: 0/12 players are now playing [TeamArenaMaster] DM-US-ASC-SpecialPlace2k4V2 ()
[23:50:08] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Caboose, Red Team, Blue Team joined playing [TeamArenaMaster] DM-US-ASC-SpecialPlace2k4V2
[23:51:10] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Abrum joined
[00:03:00] <CVSoft-L> any UT I do tonight is going to be in singleplayer
[00:03:12] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Caboose left
[00:04:03] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Abrum, Red Team, Blue Team left
[00:04:04] <TinyBlub> UT: 0/12 players are now playing [TeamArenaMaster] DM-CBP2-Tempest ()
[00:06:05] <TinyBlub> [Z80]Abrum, Red Team, Blue Team joined playing [TeamArenaMaster] DM-1on1-Squader

What it does:
  • If the server starts being played on, it will auto-highlight others (%ut)
  • It will announce joins/quits as well as map changes

Todo:
  • Put a delay until %ut will be called again (map change drops players, false-positive right now)
  • It appears that UT has virtual players for the teams, see if the scores can be grabbed for saying final score and keeping a history of matches.
  • Reformat text a bit
  • Wait for a few query cycles before saying a person left on map change
  • Find out how to flush python UDP socket buffers

Once the feature-list becomes complete, you can simply join a UT game and others in the channel will get highlighted about it. Have fun!

<edit> Breaking a bridge

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 47, 48, 49  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 48 of 49
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours