Happy Thanksgiving, everyone from the USA! Hope you're enjoying tons of turkey and stuffing and sides and pies, and celebrating good American values like overeating and football. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
...good American values like overeating and football. Smile

Pfft. I'm celebrating being a recluse and attempting to avoid the other 18 people in the house. It's surprisingly easy.

In addition:
Hahaha Tari! Nice one.

Happy Thanks Giving to you Kerm as well!
I've heard some worrying things about this tradition, such as people deep-frying their turkeys, or serving roast turkey with mashed potato and green beans instead of roast potatoes and Brussels sprouts as nature intended. Wink Is there any truth in these allegations? Razz

Hope you chaps have fun! We have to wait until Christmas for our big family meal over here in the UK.
If you aren't deep-frying your turkey, you're doing it wrong Razz
And you, good sir, cannot knock the mashed potatoes until you try my dad's mashed potatoes :9~
Potatoes + Pineapple + Eggs + Mayo = godly potato salad.
I think I'm in a small majority that adores Brussel sprouts despite all the bad press that they've gotten. I'm also a sucker for mashed potatoes, though, so I'm afraid I'd offend you with that, Ben. And yes, handegg indeed, I've seen that many a time previously. Smile
Brussel sprouts are delicious! They rule!

(also because Brussels is the capital of Belgium Razz )
Mapar007 wrote:
Brussel sprouts are delicious! They rule!

This ^

Also, sour green beans with bacon isn't half bad either Wink
KermMartian wrote:
I think I'm in a small majority that adores Brussel sprouts despite all the bad press that they've gotten. I'm also a sucker for mashed potatoes, though, so I'm afraid I'd offend you with that, Ben. And yes, handegg indeed, I've seen that many a time previously. Smile
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy mashed or creamed potatoes as much as the next man - especially with sausages and onion gravy, also known as bangers and mash. The traditional Sunday roast - of which the Christmas meal is an extension - calls for roast potatoes, though! Wink (Interestingly the Wikipedia article features a picture with mashed potatoes, even though there's no mention to them in the text and an entry on the discussion page calls to get the image replaced).

Fresh Brussels sprouts are delicious, but I can quite understand why you wouldn't like them if you'd only eaten them from frozen.
Oh, thay's what bangers and mash is? That sounds delicious; the name "bangers and mash" sounds particularly unappetizing to me.
benryves wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy mashed or creamed potatoes as much as the next man - especially with sausages and onion gravy, also known as bangers and mash.

If you've mashed potatoes to the point where they become a cream you're doing it wrong Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
benryves wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy mashed or creamed potatoes as much as the next man - especially with sausages and onion gravy, also known as bangers and mash.

If you've mashed potatoes to the point where they become a cream you're doing it wrong Razz
Seconded, I like my mashed potatoes smooth, but with a bit of chunkiness (and maybe a few leeks and mushrooms!).
KermMartian wrote:
Seconded, I like my mashed potatoes smooth, but with a bit of chunkiness (and maybe a few leeks and mushrooms!).

This ^

It's a shame that our family only ever makes mashed from scratch twice a year (Thanksgiving and Christmas). My dad makes the best mashed creamy-with-chunks potatoes you'll ever eat. Very Happy
Mashed potatoes should be made with the skin, lots of garlic, and whipped as well as mashed, for maximum creaminess.

also, Courtney and I made raspberry-mango pie.
KeithJohansen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

This ^

It's a shame that our family only ever makes mashed from scratch twice a year (Thanksgiving and Christmas). My dad makes the best mashed creamy-with-chunks potatoes you'll ever eat. Very Happy
Mmmm, sounds delicious! I really should try making mashed potatoes myself some time; it doesn't seem that challenging, and I love eating them.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours