If you are a college student, have a valid college (.edu) email, and really want Windows Seven, it just might be your lucky day Smile

Thanks to http://win741.com/, college students can preorder a copy of Windows Seven Home Premium for only $30, a pretty nice 75% discount.

I know I'm going for it. Sure, it's *only* Home Premium, but I'm frugal and love discounts Very Happy
I would first check to see if you would qualify for your school's MSDNAA (if they have one). I know a few of them already have Windows 7 Pro available to download and install. I already grabbed mine and am running it.

Another option is the IEEE. It is $32/year for a student membership, and their MSDNAA library also has Win 7 Pro.
I am probably just going to wait a while longer and just get a new laptop with Win7 on it, as mine is a couple years old now, and is really starting to look like crap. XD

Besides, no college in my immediate future. =p
I want to try it, but not badly enough to give M$ money.
I'm tempted to upgrade, I'd like to hear how stability is for MBP users though. Vista's acted like shite on here.
Microsoft has already lost me to the Penguin Very Happy
You could also get a 1 year TechNet subscription and get copies of several versions of Windows, Office, Visual Studio, etc...

Its supposed to be for evaluation purposes only, but you get to keep the copies after your subscription expires, so...
rivereye wrote:
I would first check to see if you would qualify for your school's MSDNAA (if they have one). I know a few of them already have Windows 7 Pro available to download and install. I already grabbed mine and am running it.

Another option is the IEEE. It is $32/year for a student membership, and their MSDNAA library also has Win 7 Pro.
Indeed they do, but unfortunately neither has Ultimate yet. Sad I presume since it's there any grayed out, we'll be getting access to Ultimate in October once retail comes out?
If they do put Ultimate up there via one of them, I will be making the upgrade to it, but I see it from the IEEE before I do my schools. I know the Ultimate RC's are up there though, so there is hope, but the Vista versions are only Business, so it really could go either way. Time will tell.
I think MSDNAA only gives you a max of 2 licenses, so $30 for an extra isn't horrible.
foamy3 wrote:
I think MSDNAA only gives you a max of 2 licenses, so $30 for an extra isn't horrible.

Last I checked, most of the stuff on the MSDNAA is a multi-license key. At least on a couple programs I got through the one at school, they had the same keys for anyone who accessed the software. The license agreement is another issue.
rivereye wrote:

Could I get the IEEE thing as a HS student? Can I get a URL for that, it sounds like something I would be interested in.
Qualifications for joining IEEE: http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/qualifications/qualifications.html

Signing up as student: http://www.ieee.org/go/join_student

From their definition of student, I don't think a High School student would qualify.
Seems impossible to get access to MSDNAA as a music major. Sad
Will_W wrote:

Really? At my school, you just have to be enrolled in a CS course. So assuming you need at least 2 sciences from one subject as gen-eds, you could at least get 2 semesters out of it.
Will_W wrote:

IEEE, I would say so, but like foamy3 said, chances are your school only required enrollment in a computer course to get access to the software.
hmm... Maybe next year I can get it on some sweet software then.
I'm not interested in Home Premium. I like to get features, I'll probably end up with Seven Ultimate, M$ always seems to jip users on security with the lower end versions. Which is why I want Ulitmate for BitLocker and back-up to a home network.
I should be able to get into Marquettes MSDNAA program next summester, if I do I'll be getting to copys of ultimate, one for my desktop and another for my Laptop, then I'll put my laptop's home Prem. copy on my mom's desktop, she has no need for Ultimate, though rdesktop makes it easier for fixing her Computer issues.
What exactly is the difference?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours