45%  [ 19 ]
I have no interest in this
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Nice to be seeing progress on it Smile

I've noticed it is incredibly faster then TBM Very Happy

Keep up the great work Thomas Smile

KermMartian wrote:
I was playing a few minutes of TBM 2 today, just running around in some of the old maps and some of my ancient builds. Brought back some really nice memories. Smile
Indeed. SO many good memories with this game Smile
swivelgames wrote:
Nice to be seeing progress on it Smile

I've noticed it is incredibly faster then TBM Very Happy

Keep up the great work Thomas Smile

KermMartian wrote:
I was playing a few minutes of TBM 2 today, just running around in some of the old maps and some of my ancient builds. Brought back some really nice memories. Smile
Indeed. SO many good memories with this game Smile
I hope we get to have some more epic builds once FreeBuild is complete, especially if we can make giant lagless builds.
Exactly what I'm hoping for Smile
Working on things.
This is bad news. At least we're on the right track, but it looks like the problem is deeper than I thought it was.
elfprince13 wrote:
This is bad news. At least we're on the right track, but it looks like the problem is deeper than I thought it was.
That's still fixable though. Smile I guess not horribly easy, but finding the problem in code in my experience is about 75% of the solution. Smile
Haha, I didn't find the problem in the code, just what was causing it <_< Hopefully some of the other more C++-experienced types over at GG will help too now that we have a better idea of where the problem is originating. also, GDB is beast when you actually know how to use it.
In the meantime, I just updated the engine from 1.5.0 to 1.5.2. 2 hours of diff-merging and project-settings editing later, we're much more up to date with some performance + bug fixes.

Quote:

TGE 1.5.2 [24 Apr 2007]
---------

New:
- added dynamic static mesh lighting
- turned old static mesh rendering method into the "simple" method used for simple lighting mode and debug rendering mode

Performance:
- created new static mesh rendering method that renders static and dynamic light at once, reducing rendering overhead
- bumped lower lighting profiles to static mesh collision hull shadows instead of geometry based
- avoid rendering calls on meshes which don't require it

Bug Fixes:
- resolved lighting problems on objects that were mirrored in Torque Constructor
- light mapping now honors light's castShadows property
- fixed cases when water block size != 8
- smoother interpolation of the freecam
- fixed memory leak in NetEvent
- several minor changes for the Linux build
- don't try to do anything after deleting the object in Explosion::processTick()
- revert incorrect optimization in particle engine [introduced in 1.5.1]
- fixed dark lighting [introduced in 1.5.1]
- fixed assert when changing to fullscreen and the mission contains a new constructor dif [introduced in 1.5.1]
- remove degenerate tris from light mapping [fixes AssertFatal("!");]
- light type filtering to stop static lights set to affect DTS objects from illuminating static meshes dynamically
- fixed z-fighting on alpha static mesh surfaces
- fixed static mesh BVPT issue with choosing bad first plane on pipe-like objects
- fixed smoothing detection
- fixed lighting profiles
- avoid static mesh hulls in DTS environment lighting
- block dynamic shadows on static meshes
- fixed debug interior render mode
- fixed incorrect include for compiling fonttool
- fixed several map2dif_plus errors

Removed:
- really old Max and Maya SDKs from the lib directory:
- maxsdk31
- mayasdk4
- mayasdk5

TGE 1.5.1 [30 Mar 2007]
---------

Changes
-------

- allows use of DIFs created by Torque Constructor
- integrate fixes and changes from TGB 1.1.3
- changes to StringBuffer class
- changes for better UNICODE support
- improvements to the font class
- Mac console improvements
- merge in the Optimization Kit resource
- rendering optimizations for texture fog
- some Altivec improvements for terrain blending on PPC Macs
- batch rendering of precipitation, splashes, and decals
- eliminate a lot of object copying throughout the codebase
- change constant doubles into constant floats to improve gcc PPC code
- Intel Macs now use the asm terrain blender
- added a couple of asm routines to Intel Mac build
- some code cleanup
- remove/deprecated files
- dgl/gNewFont becomes dgl/gFont
- sceneGraph/lightManager.[h,cc] are deprecated in favour of lightingSystem/sgLightManager.[h,cc]
- remove TORQUE_UNICODE from torqueConfig.h
- const-ified member functions and arguments in many places
- added a few asserts to catch problems in debugging
- added levels of detail [LOD] to the interiors on the Stronghold mission in starter.fps
- added a barebone mission that is just a terrain, a path for the AI, and an interior which includes a static mesh
- other bugs fixed:
- integrate changes for ExtrudedPolyList resource to fix some collision issues
- AudioEmitter looping
- Two bugs in BitRender.cc
- shadows are not drawn correctly for meshes containing triangle list primitives
- runtime check failure
- possible fix for fxShapeReplicator hard lock on Windows
- fix for particle stream jumping around
- TelnetDebugger fixes and additions
- added file load updates
- fixed crash on breakpoint in invalid codeblock
- fix NetEvent ref count problem
- fix cursor issues when saving the play gui
- other miscellaneous bug fixes

Known Issues With Constructor Integration
-----------------------------------------

- lighting of static meshes
- static meshes only support static lighting
- flipped objects (both brushes and static meshes) still produce odd shading
From what I can tell, the issue with the clobbering has been resolved. I still need to test out the Windows build, but everything looks ok.
elfprince13 wrote:
From what I can tell, the issue with the clobbering has been resolved. I still need to test out the Windows build, but everything looks ok.
Sweet. Elfprince, did you happen to see my posts in the Multiplicity topic about TBG/TBM and what inspired me to start the Multiplicity project in the first place? I'll repost here; is any of this in any way realistic or plausible to try to implement in Freebuild/TBG?

KermMartian wrote:
steelersfan1693 wrote:
Very Happy So just what were your plans for the Multiplicity? It was looking very impressive from what you had done so far. Whats this new TBG gonna do?
Well, the main difference between TBM and what I wanted Multiplicity to be is that TBM consists of many many different worlds, each relatively small maps that exist only on the single server of the person hosting the game. You don't see anyone from other servers, and although cross-server teleporting was once implemented, it was never used widely. I envisioned Multiplicity as closer to the real world: it's always there, you can always find everyone playing the game in it, and it's one big continuous world instead of many individual, disconnected, smaller worlds.
Kerm, I've seen this done plenty of times in other games (the most common being MMOs of course Razz ). Back when I was trying out different game engines and had my own ideas and team for a game (which I still think I have the docs for Very Happy ) I researched a powerful technique for achieving this, but the server would have to be completely rebuilt and it might be best for all the servers to be dedicated if something like this were implemented. (which would be the original idea, so I'm not sure why I just said that... but anyway). In otherwords, its probably a good idea to keep the client running on a different machine then the server.

Basically, the map is not loaded on the client's computer, but on the server (increasing server load, however, so I'm sure this can be engineered to work differently) but only items in a certain radius of the client is sent. The map is composed of a large number of smaller maps or "layers" (made to look like a grid basically Smile ), and only the maps closest to the player (and their items, bricks, contents, w/e) are sent to the client for loading. For instance, a tileable map would be ideal for the Torque engine, seeing as it already tiles the map. The large map would then be made up of 128^2 other smaller square maps (say, 1 mile in diameter relative to the minifigs). If the player is standing directly in the middle of one of the maps then, for the player's sake, two layers would be loaded around the player. As the player moves away from one of the outer layers that layer is forgotten by the client and once the player has fully made their way in to another layer or minimap then another layer in that player's direction would be sent to the player's client and loaded.

Anyway, I'm ranting on quite a bit about it cause I just woke up. I personally don't know if anything like this can be done in Torque very easily, but I wouldn't know if it could either Razz
KermMartian wrote:
Well, the main difference between TBM and what I wanted Multiplicity to be is that TBM consists of many many different worlds, each relatively small maps that exist only on the single server of the person hosting the game. You don't see anyone from other servers, and although cross-server teleporting was once implemented, it was never used widely. I envisioned Multiplicity as closer to the real world: it's always there, you can always find everyone playing the game in it, and it's one big continuous world instead of many individual, disconnected, smaller worlds.

Cross-server teleporting would actually be worth re-implementing if I make a more concrete server identification system than what I have now. Increasing the persistence of the Freebuild servers/unification between them would require serious dedicated hosting. On the other hand, it would certainly be possible+worthwhile to have at least one or two dedicated servers with a restricted ruleset to prevent nooby buildspam and allow for Cemetech sponsored events, but we'd need boxen first.

More updates: Done with classes for the day, so I'm dedicating today to trying to get GuiObjectView suitable for the playerpreview gui.

Made SIGNFICANTLY more progress then I was expecting to, thanks to help from Tom Bampton on the GG irc channel. I was about 20% into the code I expected to have to write, and he kindly sent me a fully functional GUI control that he designed previously for the same task (replacing the shit-tasticness that is GuiObjectView). This will be replacing GuiObjectView entirely in the inventory system as well, as soon as I change the relevant script functions. One thing I do need to change is adding support for slots so that we can fully support the Freebuild character system (e.g, mounting multiple items to the same node), but this wasn't present yet in GuiObjectView either, so that doesn't sent me back at all.

Notice the epaulets AND the chest decal. This is significant because it means I got slots working.
Awesome update, Thomas! Smile

Keep up the awesome work Very Happy
Didn't quite finish this today, but I did get large portions of it actually functional instead of the properties being set from the console. Few menus and buttons to go.

Also updated the resetModStack() function to do a more complete reset of the engine without actually having to exit.
Looks GREAT! I'm impressed, but maybe it's just because I suck at graphics Razz
I modeled some LEGO pig/polar bear if you have any use in it...

They look like marshmallows. I wish I had some marshmallows right now, mmm......
Feedback, those are pretty awesome looking Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 13
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours