I recently got a new laptop, and even more recently discovered that it cannot operate TI-Connect link software because the necessary drivers are not compatible with the 64-bit operating system (Vista, yay Mad ). Scouring the internet suggests that TI has not distributed 64-bit-compatible drivers, and it appears that none of the other link programs floating around would solve the problem either. Is this situation really as intractable as it seems? Should I give in and spend money to replace the 64-bit OS with a 32-bit one, or would some other tactic prove more effective?
Kuro wrote:

Shock Havn't seen you in like, 3-4 years.
Sadly you can't use ticonnect with 64-bit vista I've tried everything. You could try to talk to people to make a 64bit tilp.
don't spend money to replace your OS
get linux if you're going to replace it
noahbaby94 wrote:
Sadly you can't use ticonnect with 64-bit vista I've tried everything. You could try to talk to people to make a 64bit tilp.
There's someone on ticalc.org that claims to have done it for 32-bit Vista, but no such luck on 64-bit afaik.
Correct, it won't work. 32-bit vista is easy, since you just need to say 'yes' to a prompt that Vista throws up, but 64 won't even load an unsigned driver.

I've dealt with that problem by keeping a virtual machine around which runs your favorite version of pre-Vista Windows.
I ran TILP in Vista 32 for quite a bit actually, things were fine.

I guess I will have to run a Virtual Box or something than for a bit, I just upgraded to 64 bit Windows 7 (and right now, I am liking it, have yet to really test it though).
The Tari wrote:
but 64 won't even load an unsigned driver.

Technically not true. I've loaded unsigned drivers into Vista x64 just fine, it just happens to be a pain. When you boot, enter the F8 menu and there is an option to disable driver sign checks, although it only lasts for that one boot.

There is, however, a far simpler solution. Just install Linux in VMWare player (the free one) and give it access to your TI USB cable. Problem solved.

Also, Kuro, place the blame where it belongs. This is in no way, shape, or form Vista's fault and/or problem. It is entirely the fault of TI for not having a 64-bit driver.
Kllrnohj wrote:
The Tari wrote:
but 64 won't even load an unsigned driver.

Technically not true. I've loaded unsigned drivers into Vista x64 just fine, it just happens to be a pain. When you boot, enter the F8 menu and there is an option to disable driver sign checks, although it only lasts for that one boot.

There's also a way to change something (I don't remember what offhand) in the bootloader to always boot in test mode, but even then, you need to compile a 64-bit driver, which isn't going to happen with TI Connect.
How much does it cost for one of those certificates anyway? If they are cheap or you can choose to use a self signed one and trust it I would try to compile an open source driver and sign it (or are 64bit drivers inherently different [I've never dealt with driver code so I have no clue]).
noahbaby94 wrote:
Sadly you can't use ticonnect with 64-bit vista I've tried everything.

I thought as much. Thank you to everyone, though.
kllrnohj wrote:
Also, Kuro, place the blame where it belongs. This is in no way, shape, or form Vista's fault and/or problem. It is entirely the fault of TI for not having a 64-bit driver.

The parenthetical comment mentioning Vista was intended to convey nothing more than my general (and for purposes of this thread, incidental) dislike of it, since this same problem would evidently occur with any 64-bit OS.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Havn't seen you in like, 3-4 years.

2.5 years, to be a little more accurate.
Kuro wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Havn't seen you in like, 3-4 years.
2.5 years, to be a little more accurate.

3 years to be more accurate; I disappeared September 2006 and came back February 2009, and haven't seen you until yesterday.
Glenn wrote:
How much does it cost for one of those certificates anyway? If they are cheap or you can choose to use a self signed one and trust it I would try to compile an open source driver and sign it (or are 64bit drivers inherently different [I've never dealt with driver code so I have no clue]).

To get signed you have to go through the WHQL process. It isn't something you can just buy a certificate for, MS has to actually test and "approve" the driver. I'm not sure they would approve a TiLP driver since it relies on reverse engineering the TI-Connect driver.
M$ has to approve drivers now?
[quote="Ultimate Dev'r]3 years to be more accurate; I disappeared September 2006 and came back February 2009, and haven't seen you until yesterday.[/quote]
I know I vanished during the summer of 2007, and obviously returned during autumn 2009. That makes about 2.5 years. At any rate, it seems a moot point now.
Kuro wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
3 years to be more accurate; I disappeared September 2006 and came back February 2009, and haven't seen you until yesterday.

I know I vanished during the summer of 2007, and obviously returned during autumn 2009. That makes about 2.5 years. At any rate, it seems a moot point now.

My statement was that I haven't seen you in 3 years. You may have been here from September 2006 to Summer 2007, but I wasn't around to see you. At any rate, it seems a moot point now Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
Glenn wrote:

To get signed you have to go through the WHQL process. It isn't something you can just buy a certificate for, MS has to actually test and "approve" the driver. I'm not sure they would approve a TiLP driver since it relies on reverse engineering the TI-Connect driver.

That's different than I would have thought, so this is different then having a signed application? I know a signed application you just buy a cert and sign it.
TiLP works with Vista 64 bit afaik.
Will_W wrote:
M$ has to approve drivers now?

Where have you been? WHQL approved drivers are hardly new. Drivers that aren't WHQL have displayed warning dialogs since the launch of XP, which was like 8 years ago.
I only recently started paying attention to what M$ does. Until about six months ago, I actually thought they cared about their customers.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours