Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
With the start of the new semester I have a couple of questions.

1. I am taking a java programming course and as a final project i have to code a simple computer application. Do you guys have any ideas for a good application?

2. In my basics of network security class I have to write a two page paper every week on an article that relates to network or information security.. Do you have any suggestions for magazines that frequently write articles about network security?
lafferjm wrote:
With the start of the new semester I have a couple of questions.

1. I am taking a java programming course and as a final project i have to code a simple computer application. Do you guys have any ideas for a good application?

2. In my basics of network security class I have to write a two page paper every week on an article that relates to network or information security.. Do you have any suggestions for magazines that frequently write articles about network security?


1. Is this your first programming class?

2. How about Network Security Weekly?
1. Not Java?
2. Yup, that's a good choice. There's some mailing lists with a ton of good stuff too.
KermMartian wrote:
1. Not Java?

Don't listen to him. Java is just fine.
elfprince13 wrote:
Don't listen to him. Java is just fine.


No, it really isn't. Java is a horribly designed language built to make great coders into mediocre coders.

@Laffer: What type of application? Gui? Cli? Networked? What are the requirements?
Any kind of application and the only requirement so far is to keep it simple.
lafferjm wrote:
Any kind of application and the only requirement so far is to keep it simple.


Write a blackjack game.
Even I wouldn't touch Java.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Even I wouldn't touch Java.


But you admit you know nothing about programming, so your opinion doesn't matter. Smile
Even I wouldn't touch Java with a 10 1/2 foot pole.
Speaking of how much Java sucks, has anyone tried out VS2010 and C# 4.0 yet? Amaaazzzzzinngggg!
Default parameters <3
What is java used for anyway? Has it been mostly replaced?
Will_W wrote:
What is java used for anyway? Has it been mostly replaced?


Java is most commonly used for waking people up in the morning; it's quickly being replaced with Espresso.
I still occasionally use Java for prototyping. It's not a terrible language. It reinforces object oriented principles like no other! (I find it sad how often I write procedural code in PHP simply because it's allowed and is simpler at first, and then go back and wish I had written reusable classes.)
magicdanw wrote:
I hate Java. It's a terrible language.


Fixed.

magicdanw wrote:
It reinforces object oriented principles like no other!


In honor of the upcoming International Bacon Day (the Saturday before Labor Day),
I improved java
http://bacolicio.us/http://www.java.com/en/
Will_W wrote:
In honor of the upcoming International Bacon Day (the Saturday before Labor Day),
I improved java
http://bacolicio.us/http://www.java.com/en/


Needs moar tactical bacon Good Idea
It's used when you want a reasonable trade-off between speed + ease of portability. The JRE is 2 orders of magnitude faster than any dynamically interpreted languages like Python, and you don't have to worry about cross-platform quirks. You take all your .class files (make sure you when you compile that you target the oldest source-compatible version of the JRE for the widest support. If you don't need for-each and generics, target 1.4 or 1.3) and bring your program to another platform without any recompiling.

Admittedly, the standard GUI toolkits aren't great. AWT is archaic, and Swing is a pain in the arse, but that's what SWT is for.
What's SWT? I only ever used swing, and swing is confusing.
Will_W wrote:
What's SWT? I only ever used swing, and swing is confusing.


Standard Widget Toolkit. It's not a standard library, but it's available for most platforms. Swing isn't horrible once you understand it, but it's not newbie friendly.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement