Well, development seems to have come to a stand still. It's really discouraging, and I feel like it's been going on since before I came around. I really think that with support from the community we will develop the game more steadily and more quickly. There are a lot of people with a lot of skill out there who would really like to develop, and the way we are working right now simply isn't working. There are people out there too who have great ideas that they would like to submit, and I think an open format is best to promote this system. I suggest we upload the project onto GitHub or SourceForge, and have a system where we can assign certain people certain jobs that they want to do, or have a job system where people can volunteer for projects, get them done, and submit them to be reviewed and tested and incorporated into the build.

I'm looking for some feedback and discussion, after all that's what this whole system is about.
I think sf.net would be a good choice for hosting, I use them a fair bit and they work well for me and they have a lot to offer. I've never heard of GitHub so I think that on the points of having more potential developers and more potential users it would be worse, I often search sf.net if I am looking for software that does something specific.
GitHub is actually becoming (and perhaps is at this point) more popular than SourceForge. It's really better known to the linux and unix enthusiasts, but it doesn't matter much to me as to the site. I am just looking (at the moment) for ElfPrince's thoughts. Of course, everybody else's are very much welcome.
I think you should use GitForge Good Idea
Cyberprime wrote:
In reality it's pretty much only ElfPrice and I that are logging anything to the SVN, and nothing's been logged for months now.

And finally, I find out exactly how much work you have been doing.
Oh, right, I never even thought of GitForge!

And yes, development has been slow.
So, just incase I have created a SourceForge and GitHub project titled The Builder's Game.

It's annoying me that ElfPrince isn't responding to this topic. It's something we really need to talk about.
CyberPrime wrote:
So, just incase I have created a SourceForge and GitHub project titled The Builder's Game.

It's annoying me that ElfPrince isn't responding to this topic. It's something we really need to talk about.
I would think that you guys writing code that is efficient and works is more important than where to put it at this point. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
I would think that you guys writing code is more important than where to put it at this point. Razz
Holy hell, Luquado reveals himself.

And yes, I agree, but it took me two minutes to set up both accounts. The fact is that those sites are essential to use writing good code, because as it stands right now I am the only one logging anything to the SVN. I'm not sure when Elf left for summer camp, but when he was still around it was only the two of us. Not only is that not enough, but we also need testers and all sorts of other people to help us. We really can't do this alone. Either we need to get more people into this closed development cycle, or we need to open the project up.
I TOLD you that a Cathedral-style project was a, but no.
Elfprince HAD to have one to just kill TBG off that little bit more.

By doing this, he has forced out the very people who are most eager to contribute.
I agree. I've never been in support of the cathedral style development cycle, but it's been the way elfprince waned it. Either we open the project up, or we expand our development team. Either way, it's not going to work the way it is.
It's not exactly a secret that I've been working at various camps for 8 weeks, and in fact, I was making progress even through the first week of pre-camp, though I'm having issues with the Torque Memory Manager in the Windows build. I'll keep everyone posted. I have a CS independent study this fall, and my plan is to talk to my professors about using that as time to work on this. The current host is working just fine.
elfprince13 wrote:
It's not exactly a secret that I've been working at various camps for 8 weeks, and in fact, I was making progress even through the first week of pre-camp, though I'm having issues with the Torque Memory Manager in the Windows build. I'll keep everyone posted. I have a CS independent study this fall, and my plan is to talk to my professors about using that as time to work on this. The current host is working just fine.
Please please please stop running TBM and IM me. TBM's auth script is destroying SAX.
KermMartian wrote:
Please please please stop running TBM and IM me. TBM's auth script is destroying SAX.

I haven't been running it at all.....
It is in that you never told me you were leaving.

We've discussed the issue of the development style, but I think we need to talk about it again. As it stands it's really just the two of us, and we won't get much done like that. I think we need to release something soon, and work out the bugs people find. As well, we really need a clear cut todo list.

Finally, what's the problem with SAX? I don't even think we've implemented it yet.
It was split between a mess of different scripts, but I put a lot of effort into patching that up after I did the work with libcurl (which, btw is what's leading to the compilation issues on windows). The issue was evidently with formatting.

I had a fairly clear cut todo for each release made up, not sure where it went, but I'll dig it out.
Sounds good. When you compile the game again mind compiling a linux version as well? I can deal with the 64-bit issue, or install 32bit somewhere. I would really like to stop using wine because the server doesn't work, and I hate working on this thing on my windows laptop.

What's it bitching about?

Also, that map brightness thing still isn't fixed on a number of maps. Not to mention we need to reduce the amount of maps we package, they are just taking up too much space.
CyberPrime wrote:
Sounds good. When you compile the game again mind compiling a linux version as well? I can deal with the 64-bit issue, or install 32bit somewhere. I would really like to stop using wine because the server doesn't work, and I hate working on this thing on my windows laptop.

That's also on the top of my priority list.

CyberPrime wrote:
What's it bitching about?

It doesn't like something in the way new is overloaded. I emailed the guy who did the original work with libcurl + torque and put the resource on GG, and he made suggestions about the Torque Memory Manager, which caused everything to compile fine, but now I'm getting nasty errors inside Torque about DecalManager's not being disposed of correctly. meh. I'll show you the relevant code on AIM.
Just wanted to interject that I solved the SAX problem with elfprince on AIM this evening and also got some inspiration about the quad-echo SAX problem about which you've all been complaining.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours